Made-To-Order Primaris Company Champion (and others!)

BTW, just a clarification - this model is a "Company Champion," not specifically a "FIRST Company Champion" as the title of this thread suggests.  He's actually painted up in Second Company colors, but obviously the Ultramarines' First Company has been making a lot of news lately, so understandable that the word "First" sneaked in there.

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

I'm surprised to see a made to order model that is metal. Is that more of a warehouse full of models rather than an old metal mould, I wonder?

Models that never made the jump to resin, which requires making new moulds, will be cast in metal using the existing moulds. The librarians last year were an assortment of resin and metal.

10 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

My point wasn't about the aesthetics - like I said, it's a good looking model (I've picked up a couple copies myself). It's that because he lacks those wargear bits, he has no ranged attack nor the benefit of a shield in-game. Thus why I don't expect them to ever simply make this model a general-release version. I am sure we will see a Champion added to the codex before too long, it will just be a new model with a pistol and shield as part of the kit.

To be fair he has something better than the shield, one of his stances gives him a +1 to his save and 4++ in melee (both are melee only). 

I would be tempted by the champion, the DA company master and possibly Seth however I do not have the funds for any of these at the moment/I am saving my spending for getting the Lion and hopefully the 10th starter. 

Hopefully this means that the Company Champion will become a regular unit in the codex, and no longer exist only as a Legends option.

That was always a strange decision in my opinion. He was a missing part of the range and the model is well liked.

I think this pretty much defeats the point of event exclusive models altogether, doesn't it? A unique model or sculpt is no longer an incentive to attend if you know you can order from the comfort of your chair later.

Before the pitchforks come out I am not saying I want them to stay event exclusive, I can hardly attend any myself so them being exclusive shuts me out from obtaining them too. I just think if you're going to make them available for everybody to order anyway, why not just skip all the nonsense and release them as regular range items in the first place? 

12 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

I'm surprised to see a made to order model that is metal. Is that more of a warehouse full of models rather than an old metal mould, I wonder?

This isn't new, been going on much since the beginning of the Made-To-Order scheme. Anytime they do a MTO run it's using the last material the model was released in, so if it was never moved over to Finecast, then they cast them using the original metal moulds.

12 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Given their statements for The Old World, I do think they might be switching to preferring metal over finecast now.

Well the two new models announced at Warhammer Fest were confirmed to be resin, although personally I think they'll be going with the Heresy model for Old World meanining that new resin models are Forgeworld Resin, rather than Finecast.

Regarding re-releases of old models, I suppose that will be much like the MTO stuff; if it never made the jump to Finecast, any re-released version will be metal too. I don't think that's a preference thing, just a "what mould have we already got in storage" thing.

Edited by Halandaar

28 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Hopefully this means that the Company Champion will become a regular unit in the codex, and no longer exist only as a Legends option.

That was always a strange decision in my opinion. He was a missing part of the range and the model is well liked.

Problem is this is just a limited MTO right? So he'll be unavailable again after, thus the reason they put him in Legends in the first place will still apply

7 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

I think this pretty much defeats the point of event exclusive models altogether, doesn't it? A unique model or sculpt is no longer an incentive to attend if you know you can order from the comfort of your chair later.

I get what you're saying, but there's plenty of people who want the new thing NOW. So having it limited for a time and then available later makes sense in a have your cake and eat it kind of way. Both as a way to maximize the use of the moulds, as for a (albeit bit smalller) incentive for people to go do events. 

15 hours ago, WARMASTER_ said:

“In future, look out for other event miniatures returning to sale via Made to Order for a limited time after their event window has closed” 

This is great news! I’m really hoping we see some of the great LE space marine Captains and the Terminator Chaplain of seasons past 

This is great news, can stop stressing about getting hold of the commisars duty model and just pick up the MTO next year 

8 hours ago, The Emperors Champion22 said:

To be fair he has something better than the shield, one of his stances gives him a +1 to his save and 4++ in melee (both are melee only). 

As of his 9th Edition datasheet, sure. Wait until the "Simplified But Not Simple (Trust Me, Bro)" Simplificator runs it over a few times.

10 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Yeah maybe “timed event exclusive” is what they’ll effectively be now.

13 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Problem is this is just a limited MTO right? So he'll be unavailable again after, thus the reason they put him in Legends in the first place will still apply

In fairness a lot of those other characters are also MTO but they do have rules in the most recent supplements.

Think I'll pick up at least one champion. I managed to get one previously at a normal price but its just such a cool pose that the kitbasher in me is crying out for one to use for cool character one day.

Also very tempted to pick up another Karlean to make a shiny new Primaris version from one of the new terminator captains I'm going to end up with.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, Halandaar said:

Is the event-exclusive model that much of a motivator to attend an event? To the point that people wouldn't go without it? Genuine question having never attending any of those events myself. I assumed it was a nice bonus reward rather than a prime driver of attendance. Unless you're a scalper I guess, and I'm happy to see that motivation go away.

18 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

I REALLY hope this means we’ll get the turbo-limited Catachan Colonel that was a COVID run for FLGS

If they release this one, at a normal cost, it would be one of the few 'out of budget' purchases I'd make.

I dont want it enough that I'd spend a fortune on it but £15-£20 and I'd consider it.