Hello! New to the forum new to HH, so I've come the questions and a list offering. Me and my mates are fairly competitive, but we don't want to run skew or make lists that are inadvertently busted because we haven't noticed how some rules work in practice. I'm trying to make a melee focused army work for me with DA and the Unbroken Vow RoW.

The plan is: Inner Circle Knights are my Dreadnought hunters, Praetor and and his companions are infantry killers, and my Interemptors are terminator hunters. The core are my Tartaros Terminators supported by an Apothecary and Centurion Herald, my glorious and "immovable" objective takers. Dreadnoughts are fire support/anti-air and Sabres are my anti-tank.

So what do we think? My lack of line worries me, especially taking a HQ slot per squad to make a unit line. 

Update to the plan of action:

Deep strike a ball of independent Characters (IC's) and their retinue where they can do the most damage. Tactical Marines drive up to objectives with Apocatheries in tow. Dread's are my ranged anti-tank. Inner Circle Knights are my anti-Dred/melee anti-tank. Tactical Support Squad are my terminator killers. Dreadwing Interemptors are there to drive up to scary stuff and make it go away with their plasma Burners.

I feel confident in this list, it should be a good time for myself and my opponents.

Thanks for your continued suggestions :)

1st Edits:
- Apocatheries are gone
- Centurion Heralds are now in Tartaros armour
- Inner Circle Knights have a Spartan
- Sabres are also gone

2nd Edits:

- Tartaros squads have 2x power axes (Sgt and a squaddie)
- 2x Inner Circle Knights (one with hammers one with swords) w/ a Proteus Carrier each

- Centurion Heralds in artificer return

-Dreadwing Interemptors condensed into one large squad w/ Rhino
- Praetor given archeotech pistol

3rd Edits:

- Tartaros squads replaced with 10 man veteran squads w/ rhino transport and power swords & axes

- Removed sword Inner Circle Knights and made reaming Inner Circle Knights Hunter of Beasts Order Ironwing

- Sabres with Neutron Blasters return

- 2x Sicarans added

- Dreadnoughts removed

- Dreadwing Interemptors split into two squads again
- Apothecaries for veteran line units return plus Warhawk jumppack Apothecary for Deathwing detachment

- Minor-Combi Weapons no longer volkite, now grenade launcher

- Veteran Sgt & squaddie have power axes

Note: Unsure getting rid of the Dreadnoughts for tanks, thoughts on this in particular most welcome 

4th Edits:

- Veterans are gone, 3 tactical squads replace them (It's sad I know but the DA RoW not giving at least 2 units line is too costly an obstacle. Tactical Marines it is.

- Centurions Heralds replaced with a warmonger (to assault immediately after deep striking) and the Chaplin. RoW really benefits IC's with Deathwing so making a small blob of doom is good.

- Sabres are gone AGAIN! Replaced by a 10 man tactical support squad with Plasma Repeaters

- Learned that Apothecary can't join the Deathwing Companion detachment, he has been downgraded and given a tactical squad to baby sit

- Deathwing Companion reduced to minimum size

- Dreadnoughts return 2x with Gravis Lascannons, Gravis Power Fists and Plasma Blasters

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me puzzle this out. Who knows if this will be the last iteration before I'm satisfied that enough possibilities are covered. Always glad to recieve your messages and suggestions for improvements. Especially with regards to rules clarifications.

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA -   I: Dark Angels) [3,000Pts] ++

+ Expanded Army Lists +

Expanded Army List Profiles:: Exemplary Units Off, Legacy Units Off

+ Allegiance: +

I: Dark Angels

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: +

Rite of War: The Unbroken Vow (DA)

+ HQ: +

Centurion [140Pts]: (Chaplain) Master craft one weapon to represent a Crozius Arcanum, Chaplain, Deathwing
. Chaplain: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Refractor Field, Terranic Greatsword, Warhawk Jump Pack

Centurion [130Pts]: Deathwing, Warmonger
. Warmonger: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Refractor Field, Terranic Greatsword

Praetor [415Pts]: Deathwing, Marshal of the Crown, Warlord
. Deathwing Companion Detachment: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Warhawk Jump Pack
. .  Deathwing Oathbearer: Cytheron Pattern Aegis, Refractor Field, Terranic Greatsword
. . Deathwing Companion: Cytheron Pattern Aegis, Terranic Greatsword
. . Deathwing Companion: Bolter, Terranic Greatsword
. Legion Praetor: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Iron Halo, Krak Grenades, Master of the Legion, Terranic Greatsword, Warhawk Jump Pack

+ Elites: +

Apothecarion Detachment [135Pts]: Legiones Astartes (X)
. Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Narthecium, Power Armour, Stormwing
. . Chainsword: Chainsword
. Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Narthecium, Power Armour, Stormwing

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [410Pts]: Dreadwing
. Contemptor Dreadnought: Atomantic Deflector, Gravis Lascannon, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon, Plasma Blaster
. Contemptor Dreadnought: Atomantic Deflector, Gravis Lascannon, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon, Plasma Blaster

Dreadwing Interemptor Squad [160Pts]: Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades, Interemptor Praefectus, 4x Interemptors, Krak Grenades, Plasma Burner, Power Armour, Rad Grenades
. Rhino Transport: Smoke Launchers, Twin-linked Bolter

Inner Circle Knights Cenobium [495Pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Hunter of Beasts, Ironwing, Plasma-Caster
.  Order Preceptor: Thunder Hammer
. Land Raider Proteus Carrier: 2x Sponson Mounted Gravis Lascannon, Legiones Astartes (X), Smoke Launchers, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. Order Cenobites: Thunder Hammer

+ Troops: +

Tactical Squad [140Pts]: Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Power Armour, Stormwing
.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Armour
. 9x  Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter
. Rhino Transport: Searchlights, Smoke Launchers, Twin-linked Bolter

Tactical Support Squad [335Pts]: Dreadwing, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plasma Repeater, Power Armour
.  Legion Tactical Support Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour
. 9x Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol

+ Heavy Support: +

Sicaran Squadron [365Pts]: Ironwing
. Sicaran : 2x Heavy Bolters, Accelerator Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Smoke Launchers
. Sicaran : 2x Heavy Bolters, Accelerator Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Smoke Launchers

++ Total: [3,000Pts] ++

Edited by Edgar Crowe
Updated List with Suggestions

Apothecaries cannot join units in terminator armor. If you want your terminators to have feel no pain, you need a Primus Medicae, unfortunately. So they have nowhere to go in your list since they can't join the interemptors due to bitter duty and can't join retinues.

Combi-volkites aren't very good since Apothecaries and HQs actually get full fledged volkite chargers for half the price (And volkite chargwrs in general are not amazing). If you're giving your HQs a cheap gun, I'd go with the shotgun since concussive provides some utility.

Your knights Cenobium get no benefit from Deathwing and would be better off in another order if they don't carry swords. Thunderhammers are not great dreadnought hunting weapons either since going second means several of you get splatted by the combination of brutal and instant death meaning each successful to wound roll has a 7/8 chance of getting past your invulnerable save and killing a terminator. This isn't great, especially since your prey is actually faster than you and you probably lost several models on the way to the melee waddling forward.

I would consider using the generic Pride of the Legion rite of war instead. Then you could replace the heralds with Primus medicae and the terminators would still have line and feel no pain. Land raiders would also be a decent investment.

Edited by Squark

The Apocathery news makes me sad but I get it. Does that also mean the centurion herald would have to be in terminator armour to join terminator squads?

The knights need to be deathwing to benefit from RoW is the issue there and an extra attack with hammers seems ideal. A delivery system for them does seem to be a sensible idea so i'll have a look at that

Desperately trying to avoid the generic rites if I can, gonna keep puzzling this out see if I can't fix the issues you've highlighted while sticking to Unbroken Vow

that's good to know but gonna keep it pure DA for the theming

This might be a hot take, but I think both the las and plasma on the deredeo are bad options, not worth the points and not as consistent. Maybe if someone has done the maths i'd change my mind

I like it.  The only thing I can say is to try some variety in close combat weapons. For example or more exactly, in the Order Cenobites. Thunder hammers are great...but all members with one?hum. Terranic Swords are also fantastic ( and remember, is a Deathwing sub-type unit)

Edited by AGRAMAR

I hadn't really considered mixing them, is it better to mix in one big block unit? Or separate into two smaller units?

Edit: My thinking is keep thunder hammer squad with Hunter of Beasts Order and a second squad with Reaper of Hosts I f the way is indeed to have more variety

Edited by Edgar Crowe
Clarification

4 hours ago, Edgar Crowe said:

The Apocathery news makes me sad but I get it. Does that also mean the centurion herald would have to be in terminator armour to join terminator squads?

No, Centurions/Consuls and Praetors, as independent characters, do not have such restrictions. As long as the unit itself has no restrictions like bitter duty, they can join it. It's just regular techmarines and apothecaries who cannot join terminator squads.

I'd also suggest sprinkling in at least a few power axes into those Tartaros squads so they're not praying for 6s to rend vs. other terminators.

Edited by Squark

4 hours ago, Edgar Crowe said:

I hadn't really considered mixing them, is it better to mix in one big block unit? Or separate into two smaller units?

Edit: My thinking is keep thunder hammer squad with Hunter of Beasts Order and a second squad with Reaper of Hosts I f the way is indeed to have more variety

In my personal opinion and in this particular case, I will mix them 50-50

Yeah been talking it over with my mates, 50/50 does seem to be the most points effective way of things.

Also Squark mentioned my Inner Circle knights had no benefit from Deathwing. My understanding of rules as written was that ALL units with the Deathwing subtype got the +1 attack from RoW. Upon review Squark is 100% correct they don't benefit. Only the independent characters that also have the Deathwing subtype get the +1 attack from the RoW. Just wanted to post this knowledge for everyone and say thanks to Squark to pointing it out.

The list rewrite continues :)

3 hours ago, AGRAMAR said:

Inner Circle knights had no benefit from Deathwing? Why? Still get +1 to hit with any type of sword weapon, right?

Yes but Edgar equipped them all with hammers so in this instance there is no benefit to running deathwing

Edited by Eternal Despair

11 hours ago, Eternal Despair said:

Yes but Edgar equipped them all with hammers so in this instance there is no benefit to running deathwing

Ah ok, ok.

I see now he re- edited the list:oops:.  By the way, why use in that unit Ironwing sub type? If you going to expect many enemy tanks...well, maybe. But for a more general task, maybe try Dreadwing, no?

2 hours ago, AGRAMAR said:

Ah ok, ok.

I see now he re- edited the list:oops:.  By the way, why use in that unit Ironwing sub type? If you going to expect many enemy tanks...well, maybe. But for a more general task, maybe try Dreadwing, no?

I like the added utility of being able to charge tanks and win consistently. The survivability granted by dreadwing is nice but i'm not sure how valuable it really is, very willing to have my mind changed on this

On 5/20/2023 at 12:45 AM, AGRAMAR said:

Inner Circle knights had no benefit from Deathwing? Why? Still get +1 to hit with any type of sword weapon, right?

This kept me up at knight and made me re-read the Unbroken Vow RoW. Finding the most benefit for the points was a real challenge and has made me realize that actually a lot of the RoW's for legions aren't really as good as the generic ones unless you go hard and lean into it IMO. Hopefully my new list is up to the task.