Faction Focus: Orks

Lord Marshal

7 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

Ghaz and Makari have the same toughness? That doesn't sound right.

It's the way they are going with units are leaders with matching their toughness for balance reasons, Abaddon is T5 because the unit he can join is T5. I assume Meganobs will be T6. It is kind of assumed now that if you are taking Leader characters you kind of want to take their unit too.

Edited by Bradeh

Regarding the Orks tho, with how Characters that join units now seem to share toughness with the unit they join, that means Meganobz are T6, right?

Since the article says Ghaz has Meganobz bodyguards at one point.

Largely unchanged, Waagh effecting all units and being simplified is nice and easy to remember. Beast Snagga Boyz are looking really nice. It would have been nice for Ghaz to have a sweep style attack like other big leaders, but it is what is there.

The only thing annoying is that they previewed Stompa weapons and literally nobody uses them.

All looks good to me. A named character and Lord of War are frustrating examples for this kind of series as it doesn't give much idea of units you'll actually use a lot, but still. What is there seems solid. 

5 minutes ago, zero888 said:

The only thing annoying is that they previewed Stompa weapons and literally nobody uses them.

Perhaps the hope is that with the new rules more people will use them from now on. We didn't see the whole profile or their points, maybe they are more appealing this time round. The Stompa was such an awesome model when it was released and I played quite a few games against them back in the day, would be a shame if they still don't see much of the table top.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about the new Waaagh rule. Yes it is simpler and can be used at the start of the battle round, not to mention, that you don't need a Warboss to use it.

But it only provides the bonus for 1 battle round and nothing more. When I compare this with other faction rules, who get a bonuses for the whole game, I am not sure it is such a good deal

Last but not least it pushes Orks entirely into melee, there is nothing to gain for shooty Ork armies.

I wonder if the dakka gun keyword is still a thing

Edit: Actually I think Rapid Fire[x] would cover it would it?

If snazzguns and dakkaguns become heavy, that would be nice for Flash Gitz and Lootas

Edited by Burni

9 minutes ago, Brattak said:

I am not entirely sure how I feel about the new Waaagh rule. Yes it is simpler and can be used at the start of the battle round, not to mention, that you don't need a Warboss to use it.

But it only provides the bonus for 1 battle round and nothing more. When I compare this with other faction rules, who get a bonuses for the whole game, I am not sure it is such a good deal

Last but not least it pushes Orks entirely into melee, there is nothing to gain for shooty Ork armies.

Yeah, I mean Waaagh! has always only lasted 1 battle round (minus the lingering Inv we got with the revamp at the end of 9th that) and it's always been melee focused. So it stays with the flavor and history of the faction. It's way more flexible now though. For instance, I typically run a Dread Waaagh! led by a Big Mek in Mega Armor, I technically haven't been able to even call a Waaagh! for years. Thankfully I play casual games with friends who let me tweak the rule. Now I can just play as written.

And being able to call a Waaagh in the middle of your opponent's Battle Phase can be a useful upset, they are all ready to strike and suddenly your troops have an invul save and hit harder. Though I doubt most people will do that as we really want to use it for our Advance and charge to make sure we get stuck in.

I'm hoping once the codex come out we have a detachment with rules that gives a boost to shooty armies, dread armies, buggie/bike armies, etc.