Faction Focus: Orks

Lord Marshal

Orks rules seem like they do what it says on the tin. Choppy and in the right turn... fast and tougher.

Not much to say really as that's what we expect, nay demand from Orks.

Not particularly impressed with Ghazghull when you delve into his rules. He doesn't act as a focal point to the army, just the unit he's in, so he's just a beat stick as opposed to the Prophet of the Waaaaaagh.

But on that...

I'm noticing a trend in Ghazghull and Abaddon etc joining units and actually being easier to kill because of it.

Let me explain - since Ghazghull is in the unit, he's vulnerable to the Epic Duel Strategum against an enemy powerful character. That character, especially if he isn't attacked to a unit, can be safe from reprisals if he has his own "bodyguard" who make engagement range with Ghazghull's Mega Nobz. Sure there will be times Ghazghull doesn't go down and it depends on what is attacking him, but this seems a little unhelpful.

The same process works with Abaddon's Terminator retinue.

So essentially Ghazghull, like Abaddon, would have been better served with the Lone Operative special rule.

48 minutes ago, Blight1 said:

Currently looking like meganobz will be equally as tough as blightlords and custodes will be far tougher.

What do you get for filling yourself with disease these days?

You get to lower Toughness of meganobz and custodes :wink:
Assuming we're talking T6, it brings them from T6 to T5 against the S5 bubotic weapons (while T7 Allarus Terminators are just gnarly and don't care about going down to T6 except against the Reaper Autocannon).

I feel like there is a missed opportunity for WAAAHH to function in such a way that makes more sense thematically and avoid this "one round special rule" thing we are starting to see. Tweek the bonuses as needed to be more balanced, but I feel like WAAAH should activate when you desire for the whole army(like it does now), but if a unit takes battleshock and fails, they lose the bonus for the rest of the game. Otherwise...the bonus sticks around. Lasting for one turn seems odd thematically, its like they get all ramped up and suddenly it goes away as quick as it came. I see WAAAHHH and it carrying onwards in the heat of battle until something happens that breaks up that battle rush for an ork unit....like a failed battleshock situation. 

Boys have M6, so they are faster now. With Waaagh and 'ere we go one boys unit has charge threat range 20.5" on average (13"-28"). I think, that they have nice rules, still flavourful and balanced.

But Sv5+ and Ld7+ on boys? This is madness!

Okay. My cogboys now have the same Sv as Snagga boyz. This is... fine.

Is this the first squad that have a separate profile for the sarge, and all that changes is 1 W?

Squig launchas suggests that the two weapons have been combined. Bit of a mixed bag of changes for it.

I'm Pleased with what i've seen so far... Sorta Happy for Stompa stats  !! Now for the hard part...assembling my Stompa to use in 10th . 

++EDIT++ 

Not super Knowledgeable on 10th Ed rules but it states when you declare your WAAAGH! it starts at the Start of the Battle round and lasts till the End of the entire round, so even if you're not first in the round you still get your invul and your charge bonus etc etc for the entire round! , sounds good to me although you will need to Channel Mork's Kunnin to choose when best to call it in the game...  

Edited by Mumeishi

17 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

So essentially Ghazghull, like Abaddon, would have been better served with the Lone Operative special rule.

It's not so clear cut I think, I'd argue the Lone Operative rule is worse for chracters though.

They're Tougher for sure (T9 to T6 is a big jump), however they only get the Lone Operator rule within x" of specific units. For example, Gman only has Lone Operator within 3" of Adeptus Astartes Infantry Units, so he essentially has the potential to have way more bodyguarded units (your entire army if you layer units correctly). Pretty Cool! However, he only has Lone Operator within 3", outside of 3, he reverts to a big monster that's pretty squishy. Moving him wrong or taking the wrong model leaves him with his geneseed in the wind :laugh: Lone Operators are also targetable within 12" too which is where Melta and the like wants to be and you don't have to spend resources to do that, just be close enough.

Additionally, you can just charge GMan with a unit of chaff and then shoot him with the rest of your army as he's a monster and they are now targettable in combat

Bodyguarded Leaders (Abby and Ghaz) have the tricky prediciment of being able to be targetted by Precision weapons (I'm assuming Snipers and the like are some of the few weapons with Precision). However, they have a whole bunch of ablative wounds (10 Terminators is 30 t5 2+ 4++ wounds, 10 Meganobz is (assumably) 30 T6 2+ 4++ wounds to chew through) before being able to touch them with any other weapon. The Epic Duel strat is for a character only, so you'd need to hope that your character is able to take out theirs and you either take out their retinue or are able to survive the hit back.

TLDR, swings and roundabouts for both, you need to spend resources to target Ghaz and Abby most of the time and hope you can kill them in combat. Lone Operatives are free to shoot at 12" or the entire board if outside of 3" of specific units

Between Ghaz and Abby, I think Ghaz probably comes out on top with his (assumably) tougher Meganobz and also Makari. Abby on the flip side has more flexiblity with his auras

Just noticed that ghaz gets +1 to hit and to wound only when he is leading a unit(the unit also gets this) 

Does this mean when they die he wont have it anymore? Seems weird to me that he would lose it.

Other characters have it worded the same way, but the terminator captain has his ability worded differently. Just says "this models unit..."

1 hour ago, Sir Clausel said:

Just noticed that ghaz gets +1 to hit and to wound only when he is leading a unit(the unit also gets this) 

Does this mean when they die he wont have it anymore? Seems weird to me that he would lose it.

Other characters have it worded the same way, but the terminator captain has his ability worded differently. Just says "this models unit..."

Since it's worded so explicitly, I'm assuming that's the case. It is quite odd as we've not seen this be the case for anything else yet

1 hour ago, Sir Clausel said:

I wonder if the Terminator Captain is a hold-over from the Combat Patrol wording, since it's exactly the same just with a different ability name.  Maybe the Ghazkull one was created earlier/later?

Kinda weird he loses the skill if he isn't leading a unit, but then again, part of the Ork psychic manifestation is through belief, so maybe the idea is that he gets stronger as he leads other orks, and other orks also gain from that strength?

edit: Weird triple posting

Edited by DemonGSides

@TrawlingCleaner

It is less clear cut than a hyperbolic initial post from me, but I stand by the position being a Lone Operative is overall better than being a leader.

Lone Operative only working within 3" (for Guilliman of a specific unit is better than being a leader though. As a leader, it only works within 2" of a specific unit (coherency), can't change units and if the unit dies the leader is left on its own.

Long as the Lone Operative has units within the magic 3" (for Guilliman) he'll be safe from shooting outside 12".

Admittedly being within 12" is a different matter and can result in a Baneblade opening up on your Lone Operative, in practice it will be overall better to be a Lone Operative than Leader for the more expensive models out there.

For Ghazghull, he could have have had stats to match his stature and I think would have been monstrous. (T10)

Edited by Captain Idaho