Faction Focus: Drukhari

Bradeh

The flavours pretty great here with power from pain and the low damage, but Anti-Infantry weapons. Can't help but feel the haywire blasters a little underwhelming though. Anti-Vehicle 4+ on a BS 4 model seems a little weak for whats supposed to be an dedicated anti-tank weapon. Can easily see Dark Lances just being superior on Scourges from now on. Other than that gripe, some cool stuff all around. Now, Vect Model please (we all know it's going to be Urien Rakarth next, but i can dream.)

Drukhari have to be one of the most well rounded factions, maybe the best. They have a bit of everything. Good movement, good board control, good melee, good basic weaponry, good heavy in Dark Lances, good special in Blasters and decent defence. Some melee units, Warriors, Venoms, Raiders and Ravagers and you'll have a fun time. 

19 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

Oh look, even more access to re rolls in a game claiming "less re rolls in 10th".

I give up.

When they said less rerolls, they actually meant less than 11th not 9th.. something to look forward to ;)

19 hours ago, Doctor Perils said:

So, will they be able to take on monsters, considering splinter only particularly affects infantry, and haywire only particularly affects vehicles?

I can see that being an upgrade that one of their many leader characters give :p

But seriously.. I think a big game hunter leader character would be an interesting concept for them. (they could even just use the birdhandler from the killteam)

21 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

Oh look, even more access to re rolls in a game claiming "less re rolls in 10th".

I give up.

3 baseline re-rolls for your entire army being your faction rule is a lot different from "every character you own lets units within 6" do basically whatever they want".

17 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

3 baseline re-rolls for your entire army being your faction rule is a lot different from "every character you own lets units within 6" do basically whatever they want".

Especially when you have to expend a resource to get said re-roll. 

58 minutes ago, thesarge44 said:

The flavours pretty great here with power from pain and the low damage, but Anti-Infantry weapons. Can't help but feel the haywire blasters a little underwhelming though. Anti-Vehicle 4+ on a BS 4 model seems a little weak for whats supposed to be an dedicated anti-tank weapon. Can easily see Dark Lances just being superior on Scourges from now on. Other than that gripe, some cool stuff all around. Now, Vect Model please (we all know it's going to be Urien Rakarth next, but i can dream.)

4+ anti-vehicle with devastating wounds means the haywire does 3 mortals against vehicles on every wound roll of 4+. The previewed profile has also twin-linked for re-rolling wounds :)

1 hour ago, thesarge44 said:

Can't help but feel the haywire blasters a little underwhelming though. Anti-Vehicle 4+ on a BS 4 model seems a little weak for whats supposed to be an dedicated anti-tank weapon. Can easily see Dark Lances just being superior on Scourges from now on.

I think DLs are a solid all-round choice but I can see Haywire being good against vehicles with Invulnerable saves like Knights. There is also the issue of price. If Haywire is a lot cheaper, it might be worth spamming. 

42 minutes ago, Odd-ad said:

Especially when you have to expend a resource to get said re-roll. 

The point is they could have done something different to re rolls. 

They may cost a resource but it's something that can be replenished and can be used at critical points in the game.

There should be greater risk. Adding the rerolls in makes things more likely and drops risk. Imo it makes things more dull.

Not sure what to make of it, really. If Marines and Mon-Keigh can hop in and out of certain transports…sure the Drukhari infantry in open topped transports should all get that rule? I assume Wyches, etc will get such a rule baked-in.

Although the rule does discourage one from trying to have a squad next to a character if you want both to get back in their transport. 

I am a bit surprised that Lelith didn’t get an Anti-monster 4+ or something to make her different and useful compared to Drazhar.

The PFP strikes me as a bit ‘win more’ but I admit to not having wrapped my head around the ease at which BS rolls can be forced on an enemy.

Edit: and Wyches needing to use a strat to Advance and charge is really going to be a pain if they can’t charged out of their transports.

Edited by Zoatibix

20 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I think DLs are a solid all-round choice but I can see Haywire being good against vehicles with Invulnerable saves like Knights. There is also the issue of price. If Haywire is a lot cheaper, it might be worth spamming. 

It is anti-vehicle, not anti-"vehicle or monster". Which may result weird disadvantages against some factions. Lances are better take all comers choice.

18 minutes ago, Jaipii said:

The previewed profile has also twin-linked for re-rolling wounds

Then you just take a unit of 3, chug a pain point and you're killing most conventional armour in a single salvo, and even heavy stuff if you spike. Yeah, not bad given the tail weapon is more or less secondary to the scalpels and whatnot in my mind.

Shredders being effectively flamers is a good shout for them too! Continues to feel like basically all the weapon choices are going to be about the same price. Blasters at S8 is a little disappointing, but everyone with a melta gun is feeling the same right now. They do feel pretty much on par with shredders and haywire, and there's enough chonky infantry in the game that my quad-blaster scourges are just going terminator hunting methinks. Interested to see heat lance tho too.

Not exactly surprised that there's no baked-in assault out of moving venoms, but the firing deck and embarkation thing is almost as cool. Hopefully same shows up on Raider.

First game with these I'll defo just go classic Archon/Succubus/Haemo with chonky bodyguards and Raiders for each: glad that you don't NEED all three now, though, but there's a clear benefit to taking them as a group.

All told, seems about correct.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

2 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I see they didn't eat as many crayons as us WE players did, so they can count still.

Remember to chase the crayons with some paint thinner. Really helps quiet the Nails. In all seriousness tokens that you earn, keep in a pile (using pennies, or whatever), and spend per phase are fine.

I didn’t like that Blood Tithe required you to track not only tokens, but also which abilities you already bought for the entire game. Also, it led to gamey unit choices like 3x single spawn that only existed to create BP. Incentivizing the death of your own units, while probably fluffy for WE, is a weird game mechanic.

The rules aren't awful, but it totally does suck the life right out of my Crusade.

My story was built on the foundation of toxin crafting; it was my Kabal's raison d'etre- it influenced which terriotories we wanted to capture, which vehicle upgrades we took, which alliances we pursued; it determined which models we used (the Kabalite Upgrade sprue from Soulshackle included two special characters with increased toxin capacity, which made that unit great for creating a visual distinction for the Truborn unit).

But of course, Toxin Crafting is a sub-faction trait, and that degree of flavour was too much for people to handle, so it's gone.

Changes to Power from Pain mean that until the dex comes, you're very unlikely to see an army that doesn't include at least one of each HQ, because Pain Tokens are a resource again, and you need as many as you can get. Gee, doesn't it SUCK for new Drukhari players who want to try Combat Patrol that the closed box doesn't contain a Haemonculus or Succubus? I know, you'd love to start with 4 PT, but sorry, not an option for you.

Doesn't it also suck that the previewed strat can't be used in Combat Patrol?

Finally, this detachment-based on the benefits it provides for having models of all 3 types, and in particular an HQ from all three types- is particularly suited to the 2k game... But it would kill 500 point games (if they were still supported) and it will compromise 1k games.

Like I said- could have been worse. It will work for a lot of Drukhari players. It just doesn't work particularly well for my because I don't play the way most people do.

9 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Doesn't it also suck that the previewed strat can't be used in Combat Patrol?

Combat patrol doesnt use those strats and datasheets anyway. They said before it gets different rules (and we have seen it too)