Faction Focus: Genestealer Cults

Really interesting mechanic with the ambush markers. Really makes the opponent think about their board control and movement. I shudder to think of characters that grant a bonus or re-roll to the ambush roll. One assumes with all their characters, there will be at least one  source of such bonuses.

Edited by Khornestar

On first reading, that seems insane. On second and third considerations, I think a lot of opponents will be able to deny Cult Ambush by simply positioning models in such a way that you can't legally be touching the marker and more than 9" away from enemy models.

4 minutes ago, CL_Mission said:

This is where you use those low value miracle dice to make sure you DON'T wipe out a GSC unit.

Quite appropiately.. you just gonna need flamers to burn them down as that brings you close enough to also deny them their ambush token shortly after.

Any destruction from up close ensures they stay dead.

9 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

Quite appropiately.. you just gonna need flamers to burn them down as that brings you close enough to also deny them their ambush token shortly after.

Any destruction from up close ensures they stay dead.

I'm a bit confused as to how flamers will help make sure they stay down as the only way to ensure that they can't place the marker down is if there's no space outside 9" of any of your units. A boarding actions board would be suitable for that with it's tight corridors.

10 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

I'm a bit confused as to how flamers will help make sure they stay down as the only way to ensure that they can't place the marker down is if there's no space outside 9" of any of your units. A boarding actions board would be suitable for that with it's tight corridors.

Wow.. misread the ability. Isnt that quite powerful against some of the more elite slower armies ?

4 minutes ago, danodan123 said:

Interesting they didn't mention taking any tyranid units along with the cult units, I wonder if that'll be a thing?

Sadly I think not, they killed that off last edition and isn't super fluff-correct anyway.

Feels like this gives a lot of opportunities for the opposition to counter the ambushes.

My units will mostly die in your turn, but ambushing units won't appear until the end of your next movement phase - that means you can potentially use combat phase movement to remove them in your turn and mine, plus your movement phase, plus any reinforcement moves.

Then, when they do turn up, they get to stand around twiddling their claws whilst you shoot and charge them, before finally doing something in my turn, if they're still alive...

I'm being pessimistic, clearly, and better tactical minds than mine will make this work, I'm sure, but it feels like a significant downgrade from the current rules.

If I recall correctly, aren't the GSC the first ones to willingly "give" themselves to their "gods"?

By "give" I mean throw themselves to the first waiting mouth/digestion pool and by "gods"...Well, you know what I mean!

It is worth mentioning that they can’t be overwatched when arriving via cult ambush, due to the timing of the strat. Initially I was gonna say flamers will ruin their day, but not via overwatch, at any rate.

8 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

If I recall correctly, aren't the GSC the first ones to willingly "give" themselves to their "gods"?

By "give" I mean throw themselves to the first waiting mouth/digestion pool and by "gods"...Well, you know what I mean!

Yup, or their primal fears overcome the psychic link and they snap out to fight back in their final moments. Seeing a bunch o' dudes clearing the street for a neurothrope wouldn't happen often.

20 minutes ago, danodan123 said:

Interesting they didn't mention taking any tyranid units along with the cult units, I wonder if that'll be a thing?

By the time the Tyranid fleets arrive, it's too late for the GSC's - the patriarch gets reabsorbed into the fleet, his psychic control over the cultists is broken and they realise what they have done...but too late to prevent themselves being eaten. 

Love these rules, thematic and strong...maybe too strong? It'll force your opponent to sweep and clear the entire battlefield, which is really thematic. It'll also force them to leave units in the backfield, so a pain for those who have the sticky objectives type rules - if they leave the objective to move forwards, more cultists will just pop up in the back field.

Am I reading it right that BATTLELINE units automatically reappear, and they can effectively keep appearing forever until the opponent can wipe out your ambush markers? This is proper waves of enemies appearing. Games against them will be fun! 

Love that the battle brothers are back also, means I can actually add that leman russ to my cult without needing other stuff...

54 minutes ago, tzeentch9 said:

Well the ambush rules mean any units coming back will have to be set up in your own deployment zone most of the time, or enemy units will just move within 9 inches before the cult unit can come back, and remove the marker.

That is part of the game. Drag your opponent out of position to stomp on your ambush marker. Or drop the marker far enough away to get a free unit. Combo that with a cult icon and now your opponent either has to wipe the unit and give you an ambush marker to use, or the unit will regenerate.

This will definitely reward players with a higher skill cap.

39 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Am I reading it right that BATTLELINE units automatically reappear, and they can effectively keep appearing forever until the opponent can wipe out your ambush markers? This is proper waves of enemies appearing. Games against them will be fun! 

Love that the battle brothers are back also, means I can actually add that leman russ to my cult without needing other stuff...

That's how I read it too. That'll present some interesting tactical challenges - kill the neophyte unit and see it pop up again, at full strength; or don't kill it, and let the survivors regenerate or wander round the battlefield being a nuisance.