Are you building anything new for 10th?

Xenith

As the title says! Are you in the process of, or planning to get any new units ready for your Sons of Magnus for 10th edition? Getting them ready to use from the start, or waiting to see what th datacards look like?

My 2023 goals include Magnus the Red, so I'm hoping the datacards do him justice, I'll be breaking that box open soon! 

Edited by Xenith

I haven't actually played with my Thousand sons, I started with Hexfire and I'm almost finished painting them.

Left to paint is my last 5 rubrics, a set of sorcerers, Magnus and some spawn.

I guess I'll then have to figure out how to actually make a list from them. 

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

I haven't actually played with my Thousand sons, I started with Hexfire and I'm almost finished painting them.

I'm much the same. I'd planned to have them as a list to take to events but thanks to the loss of heresy units I'll have to re-plan without the Contemptor with chainfist (an excuse to get the Osiron model) and laser destroyer rapier.

Currently considering 2x helbrutes with lascannons and missile launchers to fill the anti-tank ranged void. I'm not a huge fan of overly mutated models like the helbrute so was planning to kitbash the venerable dreadnought kit. The bonus for that is since I was doing the pre-heresy scheme for the 40k army, the converted helbrutes can be fielded as castaferrum's in heresy with the now exiled Contemptor. 

I picked up quite a bit of stuff, I'm hitting the ground running on the army right now. I've got a good bit along on painting, and I just built a land raider, a spartan and a Mutalith Vortex Beast, and ordered the FW praetor to be a Termitor Sorcerer.

I also haven't played with them, having started with the battleforce box, so the whole army is for 10E.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

6 hours ago, Cleon said:

List building seems easier than ever - thought about trying crusade with your space wizards?

4 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

I'm not a huge fan of overly mutated models like the helbrute so was planning to kitbash the venerable dreadnought kit. 

I did the same, you can see it here if you want to take a peek:

Spoiler

large.IMG20230204153530.jpg.f22350008eb61dc7befcb38e03fb0576.jpg

3 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I just built a land raider, a spartan and a Mutalith Vortex Beast, and ordered the FW praetor to be a Termitor Sorcerer.

Awesome range of models, you don't often see Thousand Sons land raiders, never mind spartans! What scheme are you going with?

Edited by Xenith

Since forever I have been building, accumulating to what has become a massive but half-assed painted(or not painted) thousand sons army. A few years ago I finally tought myself to paint to a level that I am satisfied with and are at least pleasant to the eye. But its a slow process. So I have a large pool of models to pick from to play but I am not pleased with visually. But now I have a very very small neo-t.sons army I am working on, that is essentially like starting over with my new current painting standards. I have 1 minimium sized scarab squad and 1 rubric marine squad done. Along with a converted defiler and converted contemptor that is now illegal, but I am working on a way to be a count-as for a helbrute. 

Next on the list is a infernal master and another rubric and terminator squad. What I am particularly giddy about though is converting up some of those new plastic heresy land raiders, rhinos and predators. Having the origional 30k asthetic with some tzeentchian flare fits perfectly in my mind. I never really liked the idea of legion armies using some of the classic land raider, rhino, predator mark chassis we have seen for space marines in the last 15 years. I get that chaos marines will get there hands on whatever they can to make work in the 40k universe, but I can see legions like Thousand Sons still having a decent sized motor pool of the classic 30k vehicles but with a Tzeentchian touch. Helps differentiate from primaris and 40k era marines. 

Got a couple mutalix vortex converted up too, but not sure how to tackle paint wise. All I did was remove the the giant energy ball on the back and put a tzaangor riding them holding onto chain with mutated spellbooks on tendrils surrounding them. Lore-wise, they are Tzaangor shaaman that have captured these magical beasts that roam the lands on Sortiarius and use them to amplify their much upgraded spell-casting. Also makes them fit in more with the tzaangor theme. 

Edited by Ahzek451

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

List building seems easier than ever - thought about trying crusade with your space wizards?

List building is simple, but for a force without much native anti tank shooting that just had its magical mortal wounds alternative drastically changed, writing an effective list may be deceptive and will require some digesting of the index to figure out where the answers to the problems are.

As for crusade, it doesn't really interest me at this point, especially at the start of a new edition I want to play about with my different armies and different force structures, not commit to playing the same thing over most games.

I´m working on a 10-man unit of rubric flamers with a rhino. But it´s nothing new, it´s just not been painted :) I actually have the most things I need to my TS. Perhaps a extra helbrute or something but it depends on the rules.

I have just painted my first two units.
9 rubric with bolters and one soulreaper. And 5 Scarab with one soulreaper. 
I gonna get one HQ but after that I dont know what to buy. I like to paint diffrent things and not just the same over and over again. Do you have any good tips for what I shall get after the HQ? 

A vehicle like a rhino might be a good choice, as could something like a Mutalix Vortex Beast. We should be getting the Chaos index soon, so you should be able to look at the units then and see what looks good for what you want to do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh.
I thought I posted in here before.

Basically the entire army, tho specifically right now I'm awaiting a CSM Sorcerer in Terminator Armour to convert to a TSons Termie Sorc and am activley sticking the Exalted Sorc Bird head onto a CSM Sorcerer to get a Non-Exalted Sorc in the list.

• 1 month later...

My planned rest of the army has changed again with the new points updates so the list of new things I'm planning on building for my Thousand Sons has grown somewhat.

The 2x converted Helbrutes idea is out in favour of two Predator Annihilators with sponson, havoc launchers and inferno boltguns, since they're cheaper and have a better chance against enemy armour than the brutes.

2x Rhinos with Havoc Launchers, and additional inferno boltguns. Managed to snag some FW doors for cheap on EBay.

I'll be using the Heresy Kits for the vehicles so they can be used in Heresy one day.

Demon Prince with wings. I'm planning an involved kitbash involving Magnus's sword and the wings and head from the old Island of Blood High Elf Lord on griffon.

I won't be working on any of these though until I've fully painted the rest of the army so I don't go overboard buying kits that won't be built and painted for who knows how long once my hobby butterfly tendencies kick in.

Thousand Sons – 2000pts: Cult of Magic Detachment

Characters

Thousand Sons Daemon Prince with Wings.                                                                                
- Arcane Vortex

Thousand Sons Sorcerer      

Infernal Master

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour.                                                                                                      
- Umbralefic Crystal

Battleline Units

10x Rubric Marines                                                                                                                            
- Soul Reaper Cannon
- Icon of Flame.     

10x Rubric Marines                                                                                                                            
- 9x Warpflamers
- Icon of Flame

5x Rubric marines                                                                                                                              
- Soul Reaper Cannon
- Icon of Flame

5x Rubric marines                                                                                                                              
- Soul Reaper Cannon
- Icon of Flame 

Other Units 

10x Scarab Occult Terminators                                                                                                        
- 2x Soul Reaper Cannon
- 2x Hellfyre Missile racks

Thousand Sons Predator Annihilator                                                                                              
- 2 Lascannons
- Havoc Launcher
- Inferno Combi-Bolter

Thousand Sons Predator Annihilator                                                                                              -
- 2 Lascannons
- Havoc Launcher
- Inferno Combi-Bolter

Dedicated Transports

Thousand Sons Rhino                                                                                                                        -
- additional inferno combi bolter
- havoc launcher.

Thousand Sons Rhino                                                                                                                        
- additional inferno combi bolter
- havoc launcher.                          

Heaps of planned conversions from starter kits, mostly just rubrics and Scarabs, but a full 3x6 Enlightened and a 20x Tzaangor block from the Termagants as well. And 2x DPrinces and 2x Mutas. And some Flamers from the Leapers.

A couple of actual Forgefiends, rhinos (possibly going to cardboard box them) and maybe some predators (thinking of making them as add-on kits to the rhinos, sponsons and a turret shouldn't be hard once the actual chassis is made).

The points nerf kinda changed my priorities a bit, but I'll still end up with more than I need for pretty cheap.

(Handy because I can also run a fair chunk of the army as CSM or some of the pretty new marine flavours as well, so it's like three armies in one. With TSons obviously being the best)

Edited by Sambojin

• 4 weeks later...