Hive Fleet Boreidas

ZeroWolf

So, way back in the mists of time (2001 to be exact) a very young me wanders into a GW store on my own, and purchases a codex. This codex:

220px-Codex_Tyranids.jpg.1bff05c673a70567f05a65199b1ba102.jpg

I loved this book and a box of gaunts soon followed. Back then, my hive fleet went under a bunch of different names, like Scorpius, but the colour scheme I used was green flesh and purple armour.

A few years later and while they'd been added to with the likes of Old One Eye, a brood of Gargoyles, a lictor etc etc, life had changed somewhat so they, and the hobby,  fell to the wayside. Even when I returned briefly in 2009, the nids were not lucky enough to get a glow up.

That changed this year when the stars aligned and I was given a box I'd could make use of.

The nids were back, so let me introduce the first nid I've painted properly in 19 years (Ripper test models not withstanding):

20230609_210933.thumb.jpg.7a975dc546a2356c1580735ba98f6b81.jpg

with their rebirth, came a new name, Hive Fleet Boreidas. A swarm that has set its sights on an Imperium world that's leaving an ice age.

I'll update this thread as my quest starts to recover the strength of the swarm I used to have and further developments...I may even add a GSC combat patrol to act as beacon that led the nids to the yummy meal in the first place.

If you have any suggestions of course of units I should add, I'd love to hear them :smile:

Currently, outside of the Leviathan box, I plan to get a few Zoanthropes for the Neurotyrant to pally around with.

Cool, Glad to see you're rekindling a flame from long ago :thumbsup:  I Fondly remember that Codex too :wub: Ahh Nostalgia( in a good way)  I'm sure the new paints etc have helped with your colour scheme from 2001 :laugh: A big fan of you choosing ice bases !! Look forward to seeing your Leviathan box set come to life, I've said it a lot since the weekend but the screamer killer I got to hold and look at when I was at my FLGS on Sunday was absolutely awesome :cool:.

Cheers, M.   

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

Yay another fleet! 

Do you have any pics of your old models?

Sadly no. Hindsight is a :cuss:Only model I think I still have pictures of from that time is a metal Ahriman from my short lived dalliance with Thousand Sons from the 3.5 codex.

I wish I had taken photos of the Hive Tyrant I had at the very least, so I could have tried to have a better go of the markings on his carapace.

Anyone with a time machine?

On a better note, I'm now fully prepared for Leviathan, had a trip this morning to my FLGS and picked up a darker green for the weapons and a wraithbone spray can for the priming. Almost bought more models but I'm being good (For the time being anyway!).

1 hour ago, Brother nathan said:

Started with the clsame dex as i did. Chose a great time to return. Looking forward to seeing more!

I'm looking forward to painting more! :biggrin:

That lime green and purple look good together, especially with the white base - a less busy background would show them off more - looking forward to what you come up with!

Have you considered joining in with the tyranid (and other model) painting event, the Call to Arms? It's a motivational challenge to help people get stuff painted and get through the grey pile. 

The Tyranid Hub is below:

Edited by Xenith

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

That lime green and purple look good together, especially with the white base - a less busy background would show them off more - looking forward to what you come up with!

Have you considered joining in with the tyranid (and other model) painting event, the Call to Arms? It's a motivational challenge to help people get stuff painted and get through the grey pile. 

The Tyranid Hub is below:

That's the plan (in fact i already commented on the thread!) :biggrin: I've got my primer in this morning so i can get everything set up for the start date!

I also set up my blog the other night so I can chronicle it there, and all the building it'll entail in the fortnight before the event begins.

I'm really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

It begins...20230625_002250.thumb.jpg.ca08103d3e6d3e794c5014b0fe6c1bdc.jpg

Not off to a fantastic start with building but the Nid Prime is done at least and I'm 1 sprue down with 10 to go. Want everything built and primed ready for the 1st.

Still not 100% on what I'm going to vow though for the Call to Arms. Am I brave enough to do the entire Nid side of the box?

1 hour ago, Brother nathan said:

good going. how did you find the builds as im fully intending to rebuild what i get fairly differetly... looking at you prime... 

Not bad...aside from gaps with the psychophage and Screamer Killer. The parts just didn't want to line up properly.

The prime was quite smooth and I think it would be easy to mod him depending on what you want for the model.

Building the Termagaunts was more fun than I thought, straight forward build though limited conversion opportunities.

1 hour ago, Mad_djg said:

How did you find the Leapers ?- they were the fiddliest for me - used more glue on them than the rest of the box combined.

They almost drew blood a few times as I tried to get the scything talons in, they were more fiddly then they needed.

The Hive Fleet assembles...

20230629_010009.thumb.jpg.d6fc1769f458d74a1b62080e07f4280b.jpg

query, is it possible to get an arctic themed battlemat/battleboard I wonder?

It's a good feeling seeing them all built though that feeling quickly turns to dread when I realise I still have to paint it all :laugh:

Want to try and Prime it over two days ready for Saturday!

On 6/26/2023 at 7:33 PM, ZeroWolf said:

They almost drew blood a few times as I tried to get the scything talons in, they were more fiddly then they needed.

Finding some bits fiddly. The kits are so detailed also I'm unable to just stick them together as I think they spray won't reach parts, so I'm going to partially assemble, spray, then paint and complete assembly - like I've not fully pushed in the guns on the barbgaunts yet.

Just now, Xenith said:

Finding some bits fiddly. The kits are so detailed also I'm unable to just stick them together as I think they spray won't reach parts, so I'm going to partially assemble, spray, then paint and complete assembly - like I've not fully pushed in the guns on the barbgaunts yet.

Did you get any gaps in your Barbgaunt torsos? I had two where they just did not want to reach together properly.

Progress report:

21 of 47 miniatures have green on them, hopefully by the end of the week that number will have increased to 47.

Sadly I lost two nights of painting due to other things that needed doing.20230705_003544.thumb.jpg.569e6970434ed0d9156a505814aea1bd.jpg

my process thus far has been to drybrush every model white (as recommended to me) which didn't take too long, think about 30 minutes? If that.

Then I cracked open the contrast paint (Ork Flesh). 

Once all are done, I may work at squad sizes instead of batch painting everything.

Stage 2: complete

20230706_003630.thumb.jpg.16d195090e5e0e9fb542592189a53aa2.jpg

20230708_005950.thumb.jpg.6e1d63e1c1dbfe03c622ed58a989c311.jpg

pay no attention to that dread, it wandered into the wrong neighbourhood.

This took me a week to get to this point...I'm definitely going to take it a unit by unit approach now, but it is nice to see all that green.

The Eagle eyed amongst you may notice that the neuroloids are missing ..Well I had a bit of time before the movie I was watching ended so I decided to take them to the next step:

20230708_010018.thumb.jpg.ad5fbc8c15c38f7a0a11c3f3d26974a0.jpg

that's Leviathan purple contrast with aethermatic blue (or however its spelt). I've been looking for a project for that colour and alien brains provided the perfect place for it. 

Let's see how far I get next week!