New Lictor(?)/Deathleaper Revealed

I actually like the skirt, a good use of the membrane, and a nice way to make alien monsters characters more identifiable. You can always create fluff to justify it later (camouflage?)

The tail at the back of the head is also a very nice touch, and shows that you can make the Tyranid design evolve into new and unexpected ways.

The 'cape' / 'skirt' works for me - either as a way to control a descent ala flying squirrels / colugos, or as a 'paddle' for swimming ala beavers / platypuses. The visual link between it and vampire squids, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere, is a great tie-in and reminder that nature is flat-out weird.

The thing I do have an issue with is the extra tentacle / tail that is coming out of the head area, as that defies the internal 'logic' that all other (modern) Tyranid species have with regards to their morphology (yes, we have seen stingers / ovipositors, but only as a replacement to the standard tail, not as an extra appendage, especially in an unusual area like on Deathleaper). It's not enough to ruin the model for me (which is a fantastic glow-up of the original in my opinion), but it does feel at-odds with how consistent everything else related to 'Nids has been up to this point.

I love this model; the membrane is unusual for Tyranids, and far too reminiscent of a hero's cape, but I think it looks good.

But I love the feeder tentacles; even C'thulhu would appreciate their menacing look.

I would have preferred if the pose was more hunched, like it was stealthily stalking a victim, and the base would be perfect for a diorama model but a bit overindulgent for a tabletop model, but those are minor critiques.

Yes, fine unit for my Magos' vivisection table.  

44 minutes ago, Quantum said:

But I love the feeder tentacles; even C'thulhu would appreciate their menacing look.

I think he would disagree about those teeth over the tentacles. Why they sculpt it like that? Why not just tentacles?

I saw that in many of the new nids models and they are not a good improvement for me.. I will fix it for myself.

And the skirt ruins its elongated form and menacing aestethic IMHO.:happy:

But I see many fraters/sisters like it so I'm glad it's a well recieved miniature.

I wonder what we will see next for the nids, I hope for something big!!

9 minutes ago, Alby the Slayer said:

I wonder what we will see next for the nids, I hope for something big!!

If the Necron release is anything to go by, and also judging from the "holes" in the Tyranid roster compared to other factions, i think we can expect a new Leader above the Hive Tyrant, and some form of a Lord of War.

So are the folks who feared the Leapers would encroach too much on Lictor/Deathleaper territory satisfied with this? GW is clearly raising the ceiling and scale of the infiltrator organisms here, and I dig it.

Looking forward to see the inevitable new Lictors and whatever else new they're teasing here.

Also, that reference to Medusa V made me feel nostalgic.

45 minutes ago, siegfriedfr said:

If the Necron release is anything to go by, and also judging from the "holes" in the Tyranid roster compared to other factions, i think we can expect a new Leader above the Hive Tyrant, and some form of a Lord of War.

You mean like the rumoured Norn Emissary/ Norn Assimilator?

Plus from what we've seen of the Emissary, he is a big boi

4 hours ago, Matrindur said:

"they won’t be the only vanguard organisms joining the Hive Mind’s ranks for the next Tyrannic War. Even more are coming, and they’re coming soon…" 

This sounds like there might be even more than those three for this kind of bug?

Genestealers are vanguard organisms too, it's likely to be referring to them.

3 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

Hmm, something seems off here but I can't quite place it...Screenshot_20230612_120751_Chrome.jpg.41b4ab0f54d1f96977d884fc623692a1.jpg

On a serious matter, wonder what the odds of winning are, one winner from all the hundreds of replies. I might have been tempted.

If you read further through the T&C, it confirms that in order to be considered you need to submit your entry while travelling at 88mph.