New Lictor(?)/Deathleaper Revealed

6 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

Hmm, something seems off here but I can't quite place it...Screenshot_20230612_120751_Chrome.jpg.41b4ab0f54d1f96977d884fc623692a1.jpg

On a serious matter, wonder what the odds of winning are, one winner from all the hundreds of replies. I might have been tempted.

Unbelievable! the Ordo Chronos will hear of this!

I really like it. I can imagine the ‘cloak’ snapping shut like the wings on a locust and unfurling to help it glide when it’s leaping. They’ve done a good job of giving it some presence and making it look like heroic model rather than a regular type of Tyranid organism.

1 hour ago, Master Commander Ajax said:

I really like it. I can imagine the ‘cloak’ snapping shut like the wings on a locust and unfurling to help it glide when it’s leaping. They’ve done a good job of giving it some presence and making it look like heroic model rather than a regular type of Tyranid organism.

Location and relative size of it to the organism mean it simply couldn't work like that.

40k, Fantasy and AoS have always had only 1 rule to follow when designing models: Rule of Cool.

On a more serious note, it's probably easy to just remove the cape/cloack/skirt and head tail if people don't like them. For me, the Deathleaper looks awesome, so can't wait to get him for my Hive Fleet.

Ahh, it’s a Scottish infiltrator, that cape is like a kilt and it unfurls to sleep in … it’s probably a mean fighter in close combat …

on a serious note, great model and hopefully as others mentioned part of a nice themed infiltrator force …. Nid players are lucky in 10th :thumbsup:

The best thing about it is it opens up a lot of directions for nid designs and conversions as nids were running out of designspace. 6 limbs and bio organic design but matching in well... bar scale  and pose gets similar. This adds so much... extra tenticles and weaponry and flesh capes and tails in better positions throwing counter training off... amazing... may have to revisit the one i just converter from a broodlord...

16 hours ago, Bradeh said:

Tyranids know style, fab. 

tumblr_af93f96f0ea227d49a2ab8c8d68c2d6e_e2482c51_1280.thumb.jpg.e53c4ef88b193c4541925aacadae9c66.jpg

I used this picture for a fifth grade science presentation. 

We had to have a poster with various animal species and their scientific names, and what they ate, and the last one on it was that one.

Edited by Arkangilos

9 hours ago, Brother nathan said:

tails in better positions throwing counter training

I hadn't thought of that. Imagine a space marine who'd been trained extensively on how to fight 4 armed organisms, and suddenly there's a bunch of other weird tentacles and ovipositors.

Definitely adds to the Eldritch Horror of the Nids. 

I guess with Leviathan coming from below the Galactic Plane, this time they really are The Deep Ones. 

I love it! They've taken the octopus/squid hunter influence and turned it up to 11! The skirt is so cool- very like the vampire octopus - it extends its skirt creating a void to hide behind and sneak up on its prey. Looks as though it could expand outwards to cover Deathleaper and/or envelop its prey. Also would retract back into the tail.

I really love how they are letting Nids be super weird again- can't wait to see what else we get -especially around the regular lictors and gene stealers.

16 minutes ago, silverstu said:

I love it! They've taken the octopus/squid hunter influence and turned it up to 11! The skirt is so cool- very like the vampire octopus - it extends its skirt creating a void to hide behind and sneak up on its prey. Looks as though it could expand outwards to cover Deathleaper and/or envelop its prey. Also would retract back into the tail.

I really love how they are letting Nids be super weird again- can't wait to see what else we get -especially around the regular lictors and gene stealers.

Agreed. I really like the gribbly weirdness of the new models. Not that I don't like the older models, but I'm glad they don't make them into "ordinary space bugs", if that makes any sense :)

10 hours ago, Blurf said:

Oh, but everything else about the tyranid's biology is perfectly textbook?

Get outta here with that nonsense.

I haven't seen people try and make such silly justifications for other parts of the anatomy.

42 minutes ago, silverstu said:

I wish it was more vampire squiddy.

The Vampire Squid Of Hell - HubPages
A head that looked like that or a larger membrane that started much further up the body and actually could envelope either the leaper or it's prey would be cool. As it is we get a half skirt, the placement of which leaves it unable to do anything like that.

Edited by sockwithaticket
Replacing image

27 minutes ago, sockwithaticket said:

I wish it was more vampire squiddy.

A head that looked like that or a larger membrane that started much further up the body and actually could envelope either the leaper or it's prey would be cool. As it is we get a half skirt, the placement of which leaves it unable to do anything like that.

Got to agree the skirt is anatomically weird and seems practically useless beyond snagging people who were looking to perform a rectal exam. Style over function which is antithesis for nids.

It could be for dissipating heat like an elephant's ears. Maybe it's some alien sense organ for tasting the air like a snake's tongue. I like that there's a weird alien bit that we're trying to make sense of.

18 minutes ago, Cactus said:

It could be for dissipating heat like an elephant's ears. Maybe it's some alien sense organ for tasting the air like a snake's tongue. I like that there's a weird alien bit that we're trying to make sense of.

I can get behind that, its accomplished the mission in that regard.

Edited by Mogger351