Dark Angels Index

3 hours ago, Progenitor said:

When some factions struggle to get above S10 with their weapons in any meaningful amount (except Marines ofc) I imagine the meta will be mechanised very heavily or big T monsters too. 

Big T monsters are more rare.  Most of the Nids Big Bugs are T10 or lower.  I think only 4 or 5 with T11+ and about 1/3 to 1/2 of them are Psykers where Sisters have some Anti-Psyker access.   The Castigator, Exorcist, and Anti-Psyker should leave them doing OK against Nids and Big Bugs.   They're boned against Knights though. 

1 hour ago, farfromsam said:

I'm double checking here.  Tactics marines fit in drop pods, and they're "taller" can real marines not ride in the impulsor because they can't see over the sides?  Or can they use them?  What is going on?

That's because reasons still.  The "basic" (Dedicated) transports are all still pretty much generationally locked.  First born only in Rhinos and Razorbacks, Primaris only in Impulsors, Scouts only in Land Speeder Storms.

So yeah, I'm sure most people have noticed the blurb on the Deathwing Command Squad "if a character yadda yadda attach to a Terminator Squad yadda yadda".  But the Black Knights and RW Command Squad have "if a character yadda yadda attach to an Outrider Squad yadda yadda" vs a Bike Squad.  Its so far a distinction without a difference.   Everything that can attach to an Outrider squad can also attach to a Bike Squad, and vice versa.  Do we expect Outrider Knights?  An Outrider Libby that for some reason can't attach to a Bike Squad even though the Outrider Chappy can? 

On 6/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, farfromsam said:

I'm starting to theory out my lists not using DA stuff and I like the results.   I may end up being emerald marines until the codex remedies our bland.

I think that's intentional this edition.  They scrapped a lot of the bespoke subfaction stuff - heck only Marines really even have competing subfactions anymore.  The Swarn Lord and Old One Eye are not a specific Hive Fleet.  Farsight is back in the fold for Tau,  Abbadon isn't even Black Legion.  Ghaz is just an Ork.   When you do get into the SM faction itself, many of the Epic Heroes are often not part of the combos built into the units/generics. 

1 hour ago, Cpt_Reaper said:

Upside: Name character proxies are back on the table
Downside: Homebrew Chapter Masters are dead again

Sort of.  Marneus Calgar is still an Ultramarine, so you can't take him with the Lion but that's been a thing for a while.  Even the previous few aditions, you still had to pick a Counts As and basically proxy the entire chapter as a named.  Basically - I'm Ultramarines, but they borrowed their power armor from the Rainbow Brite Marines in an emergency. 

All Chapter Command is dead - though Primaris Company Command is roughly on part to Chapter Command of Yore, while the First Born Company Command is on par wtih the Company Command of way way back turning into basic veteran dudes again which is super inconsistent - one, the other, or both would be nice i.e. all Command is a squad of regular dudes with a flag and a first aid kit, or all of them are super dudes, or you can do either regular dudes or super dudes with either -Born.

I've not got the model yet, but I am really struggling to fit Mr Lion into a 2000pt Deathwing list without everything else looking rather anaemic in terms of numbers.

Belial with 5 Deathwing Knights for Deep Strike

Librarian with 10-strong Deathwing Command walking up dead centre

2 Deathwing Strikemasters, each leading a 5-man Deathwing Terminators (Leviathan set loadout) advancing up the flanks

2*Ballistus Dreadnoughts to sit on home objective and shoot at stuff

14 hours ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

I've not got the model yet, but I am really struggling to fit Mr Lion into a 2000pt Deathwing list without everything else looking rather anaemic in terms of numbers.

Belial with 5 Deathwing Knights for Deep Strike

Librarian with 10-strong Deathwing Command walking up dead centre

2 Deathwing Strikemasters, each leading a 5-man Deathwing Terminators (Leviathan set loadout) advancing up the flanks

2*Ballistus Dreadnoughts to sit on home objective and shoot at stuff

Part of it is probably trying to Mix And Match the Lion with Terminators.  I tried doing that with Roboute, and it just got so expensive so far.  I actually found putting him with some Infiltrators with a Phobos Libby was one of the meanest things:  The Phobos Libby gives the Infiltrators the Super Stealth - no shooting within 12", and the Infiltrators prohibit Deep Strike within 12", and give the Lion Lone Operative so he can't be shot within 12" too.  At that point they have to move into range of the Lion, or the Lion can move within range of them, and there's some charging going on.   That's the best I came up with for the loyalist primarchs. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm soooo thrilled that land raiders look viable again. People probably will have something to handle a T12 tank.  But three of them?  And the assault ramp being back brings tears of joy.

I'm utterly disgusted not to be able to take 6-9 terminators.  But I'm going to try to bring back my favorite playstyle, mechanized deathwing.  Two Crusaders and a Mars.  One crusader with command squad, Belial, and heavenfall claws strikemaster.  The other crusader with TDAIC and knights (hey, look my knights wound tanks on 4s!).  The standard one gets 5 tactical termies.  Unspent points, ugh!  Okay, I'll grab a darkshroud to stealth the tanks in case I go second.  I still have unspent points, ugh.  Okay, I guess it'll be 5 devastators with lascannons.  They can hang out on a back objective with the tactical termies.

1 hour ago, march10k said:

I'm soooo thrilled that land raiders look viable again. People probably will have something to handle a T12 tank.  But three of them?  And the assault ramp being back brings tears of joy.

Yes, Taanks in general are back on the menu. I ran a Vindicator last night for the first time in years and was pleasantly surprised at its durability. Smoke is particularly handy for keeping these bigger tanks alaive, especially if facing other Marines as Land Raiders make a very tempting target for OOM. If your opponent OOMs a Land Raider, pop smoke to take some of the sting out of it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 5:25 PM, Karhedron said:

Yes, Taanks in general are back on the menu. I ran a Vindicator last night for the first time in years and was pleasantly surprised at its durability. Smoke is particularly handy for keeping these bigger tanks alaive, especially if facing other Marines as Land Raiders make a very tempting target for OOM. If your opponent OOMs a Land Raider, pop smoke to take some of the sting out of it.

OOM?