Black Templars Index

21 hours ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

Necron Nonsense

Welcome to 10E Necrons. According to the person at my FLGS who plays Necrons "If you're focusing on the Lychguard/Overlord/Cryptek unit, ya [REDACTED] dumb. And if you manage to kill them -clap, clap- Good job, ya wasted all your time dealing with a unit that's not powerful at all. Meanwhile, my Destroyers just killed all your other stuff. Worth?"

(He's at least funny and animated when he's saying these things. Over text it just makes him seem like an insufferable :cuss:)

10 hours ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

Well tell him I killed all my opponents Lychguard and all his heavy destroyers and beat him 69-61 so he can shove it up his arseh0li0.

But did you enjoy the match? :laugh:

The key takeaway from most matches I've seen people play against Necrons is "they're not fun to fight"

13 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Ya necrons are frustrating :cuss: and require "overkill". It's even better when those cryptothralls with 4+ FNP get rezzed over and over again. Kinda asks for a callidus to crank the cost of that stratagem.

Yup. I genuinely don't see myself enjoying matches against Necrons (Full disclosure: I've not faced Necrons myself yet in 10e, but I've seen five games so far, all against different opponents and those matches were just slow grinds where nothing really happened)

Edited by Gederas

That's a great question, Gederas.   I would say...yes...because I won and it was a competitive game.

But...

On my first turn I put my Impulsor with hellblasters into his Tesla Immortals. Oath of moment.  I killed all but one. He rezzed back to 8 with the Reanimator/Stratagem combo. Then on his own turn, command phase, he went back to full.  That is not fun.  I have no issue with Necrons coming back..it's part of their lore/fluff and mechanics. It's cool.  But a whole unit should not be able to come back, especially a semi-elite unit like Immortals.   The current Reanimation rules iteration is really bad in my opinion.  More than ever it encourages an "all or nothing" approach to them.  The problem is that somebody's going to get feels-bad; either you kill them all and the Necron player cannot re-animate anything and feels bad, or the opponent does not kill them all and by his next turn he has to re-kill the whole unit and he feels bad.

All that being said, my takeaway from this game more than ever was that Black Templar or no different than any other SM chapter and need a long range threat.   You have to be able to snipe out that reanimator, or the Thousand Sons Mutalith, or the AM Leman Russ, because you are not going to get to it in close combat until turn 3 at best.

Normally, I have been taking my Repulsor Executioner and it's been doing work in my games.  I didn't take it against the Necron player because I *thought* the guy I was actually playing (Dave-2) was a different player (also named Dave-1). I had beaten Dave-1 in a previous escalation league with a full infantry 82-man Black Templar list (9th edition), and, as he was something of a new player, I was going a little easier on him.  But my actual opponent, Dave-2 showed up with a full hardcore Necron list.  I think the game would have been different if I had my Repulsor Exec and sniped out that Reanimator on my first turn. 

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum