Black Templars Index

On 7/2/2023 at 8:53 AM, Sword Brother Adelard said:

Which is kinda why just walking in was always a teensy bit off.

By which means do we engage the enemy brother? ALL OF THEM.

Ok, ok, I'll tone down the meme-iness of my responses. Orbital drop and armored spearhead are fluffy choices yes. But each battle is a story, event unto itself. If a particular list just has foot sloggers and no transports, it doesn't neccessarily tell me our brothers marched for miles to get there. More like they were already there.

1 hour ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

By which means do we engage the enemy brother? ALL OF THEM.

Ok, ok, I'll tone down the meme-iness of my responses. Orbital drop and armored spearhead are fluffy choices yes. But each battle is a story, event unto itself. If a particular list just has foot sloggers and no transports, it doesn't neccessarily tell me our brothers marched for miles to get there. More like they were already there.

Sure, I appreciate it for what it is, but I always felt that it was sad that for so long the two key narrative builds for Templars have been so poor. Pods had a brief renaissance when the second 8th codex came out and they could drop turn one, but vehicles have sucked for the last 5 years. And that maybe not being the case should be celebrated.

7 hours ago, Maritn said:

I'm a bit surprised about the rating of our strength when looking at the win rates from Goonhammer.

https://40kstats.goonhammer.com/#subfaction

I think the thought process went like this "Marines oath is very strong, marines units are pretty strong; army wide FNP and more special units can only make this stronger when people find the correct lists right?".

And i think that's broadly correct. But, the actual top tier armies demand some really specific answers, and if you don't have a whack of desos with the gladius combo, or a pile of gladiators/other high end stuff to keep up the anti tank, you're broadly going to miss out on damage for those knights and prisms. And the Gladiator is both really quite expensive in money, and out of stock.

In contrast, the good eldar stuff has been out since 6th edition, and has been very good at some point in its life. And also they don't even need to take an efficient list, because fate dice are so strong*.

*I played my first game against eldar and got rolled, mostly off the power of fate dice on the knight, but also from full reroll fire prisms and not knowing about tricks like phantasm. 

Edit: there we go lol, eldar and knights took some nerfs, as did desolators.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

image.png.4c2d191d2e64b096d4304d3ca4f7c15b.png

Primaris Sword Brethren went from 1+4 for 150/ 1+10 for 330 to inexplicable 1+4 for 165/ 1+10 for 330. What in the merry hell, is that the Castellan tax now? I hope the "10 models" is a typo now.

1 hour ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Think the ""castellan"" of the sword brethren squad lost the ability to take a master crafter power weapon in the latest update? Not too terribly a loss since it was just 1

You could exchange the chainsword for a MC power weapon unit wide. So Castellan can still take one.

13 minutes ago, Kilamandaros said:

So the max squad size is 10 now, does that include the Castellan if so? And all models in the unit can take MC power weapons? I'm confused...

This has to be an error - the Index is unchanged and the points rise suggests the gain in 1+4 vs 1+10 squad is precisely Castellan tax.

2 hours ago, Kilamandaros said:

So the max squad size is 10 now, does that include the Castellan if so? And all models in the unit can take MC power weapons? I'm confused...

He's included, just treat him as a squad Sergeant, calling him a Castellan is just confusing people IMO.

And only the leader could ever take a MC power weapon.

3 hours ago, Sea Creature said:

Only the Castellan can take a MC power weapon but the squad has the ability to add +1 dmg for each attack so basically same.

The "Castellan" with MC PW fought at WS 2+.

---
Brainstorming a pretty fluffy list (I think?) for 2000 pts, exact fit:

Primaris Crusader Squad (20, 2x fist, 2x pyreblaster)

70 Drop Pod  
70 Drop Pod  
Infernus Squad (10)

Sternguard Vets (10)

Land Raider Crusader

Primaris Sword Brethren (10)

120 Helbrecht  
Infernus Squad (5)

Tannhauser's Bones

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

The "Castellan" with MC PW fought at WS 2+.

---
Brainstorming a pretty fluffy list (I think?) for 2000 pts, exact fit:

70 Drop Pod  
70 Drop Pod  
Infernus Squad (10)

Sternguard Vets (10)

Land Raider Crusader

Primaris Sword Brethren (10)

120 Helbrecht  
Infernus Squad (5)

Tannhauser's Bones

Thoughts?

Who is getting Tannhauser's Bones?  You can't give it to Helbrecht.

So, had a thought while walking my dog.

20 man Primaris Crusader squad all shooty with a Castellan/Lt run in Gladius with Bolter Discipline upgrade and Storm of Fire stratagem.

40 shots, crit on 5 (sustained hits/lethal hits).  20 at -2 AP, 20 at -1 AP.  That's a lot of shooting damage.

8 hours ago, Rustican said:

Who is getting Tannhauser's Bones?  You can't give it to Helbrecht.

Gah, Epic Hero, right? Forgot about that. Grrr, it came together so nicely. Shucks.