Black Templars Index

What do you guys think about running a Captain in Gravis Armor solo with your preferred setup (I'm going with Relic Blade, power fist, bsg) giving him perdition's edge, supported by your choice of appropriate vow and Crusaders Wrath/Fervent Acclimation? 

His ability (halves damage) is only beneficial when he's on his own, and he seems tanky enough to send off that way (not stupidly, of course....put him in los blocking terrain/cover until you're ready to charge with him).

12 hours ago, Sea Creature said:

I’m planning to run one but want to attach him to an Eradicator squad along with an Apothecary Biologist. Like you said, he is tanky so he could probably do alright solo. It’d be useful to keep him in a transport until you really need him.

If you put him in eradicators would you have them moving up trying to get him into melee range?  That would be hilarious once opponent's realized what you were doing with him :-D

I had another game, very similar list, but no scouts and 1 less intercessors for reivers+Phobos lt/witchseeker and a vindicare. 

My buddy played a Death guard vehicle spam list:

Spoiler

Mortarion

Winged prince with battleshock relic

Beast of nurgle

Poxwalkers

2x haulers

2x haulers

2x haulers

Mower drone

Mower drone

Mower drone

Pbc 

We got Sweeping Engagement, priority objectives and Minefield; we both picked bring it down and Engage for secondaries. We did player placed terrain with WTC density and safety ruins in the middle.

Death guard suck; there isn't much insightful strategy to really say. His vehicles have to close to do damage and can't handle the dedicated anti tank and oaths (though it did give value to the multimeltas lol). His movement is too short to allow fly to really building hop and would need a very convenient path of single level buildings, so he got congested in the path towards me. By end of turn 2 he had the pbc, mortarion with a couple of wounds off, the beast, and the daemon prince with 2 wounds remaining; I hadn't lost anything. 

So the only things of note is the Phobos lt giving the d6 movement after shooting, allowing reivers to get a pretty easy charge out of the deepstrike, and defensive strat layering; I used smoke and AoC on the redeemer and bounced two haulers in melta range and mortarions shooting. Also, when firing at vehicles in engagement range it's a little weird that torrent weapons can do it, though I'm not complaining with the redeemer.

Had my first game against Genestealer Cults 1255 points vs 1260 points

Helbrecht + Empersors Champion 

10 PCS with Fists and Chainswords

1ß PCS with Boltguns and Flamer

5 Swordbrethren

5 Swordbrethren

BT Impulsor

BT Impulsor

BT Gladiator Lancer

Primaris Apo

VS

3x 20 Neophytes with Lascannons + Grenadelauncher

Symbiarch + 10 Genestealer

5 of those fat ones + characters  (t6 guys with -1 dmg)

2x5 guys with flamer

character on bike

pistole character 

another character who is lone operative

in short:

I smashed him... he had not a bit of a chance. although he killed an impulsor in first round but then my Sword brethren killed everything they touched and I had each round 15 points on markers...

Helbrecht and Emperors champion are crazy good. 

I dont know if my army would be better with Gladius because FnP and the 5+ morale is strong but I think that a competitive list will be interesting

Yes it is legal. Just something to keep in mind:

-the additional hits from SUSTAINED HITS will not, in and of themselves, auto-wound.

So, you roll 95 times.

5's and 6's (~32 hits) are Crits because of Sigismund's Seal.

Those 32 Critical hits both autowound (because of LETHAL HITS) and they generate additional hits (because of SUSTAINED HITS).

Now you have to roll to wound with those extra 32 SUSTAINED HITS (along with all the other hits from the original 95 that you have not yet rolled to wound with).

So, all said and done, on average against T5 to T7 opponents, you should get ~53 wounds.

Nice combo.

10 hours ago, Markov Gheist said:

So is this combo possible or am I missing something?

- 20 crusader squad with 19 astartes chain swords for 95 attacks

- Accept Any Challenge Vow for Sustained Hits +1

- led by a Castellan for Lethal hits

- equipped with with sigismund's seal for melee crits on 5+

6 hours ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

Yes it is legal. Just something to keep in mind:

-the additional hits from SUSTAINED HITS will not, in and of themselves, auto-wound.

So, you roll 95 times.

5's and 6's (~32 hits) are Crits because of Sigismund's Seal.

Those 32 Critical hits both autowound (because of LETHAL HITS) and they generate additional hits (because of SUSTAINED HITS).

Now you have to roll to wound with those extra 32 SUSTAINED HITS (along with all the other hits from the original 95 that you have not yet rolled to wound with).

So, all said and done, on average against T5 to T7 opponents, you should get ~53 wounds.

Nice combo.

The combo is extremely lethal, and with a captain you can boost it a bit more with a free strat. 

But, it's a bit misleading due to the changes to melee. You need to be either in engagement range (1" of the enemy), or in base to with a friendly model who's in base to base with the enemy in order to attack. So applying all your attacks is really hard unless you have a great charge.

Maybe I've been out of the 40k loop for too long, but I tend to use the reroll to make the charge; I'm not rerolling that 7" charge distance to try and maximise stuff and end up failing.

I'm also not convinced that rerolling the advance roll is enough mobility to get in that super short charge range where you can fish to get into maximised base to base.

I hope I'm wrong though, maybe with captain we can get enough free strats where you can afford to burn Push to zoom up the board.

3 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

There's also the Command Reroll of a single dice and the 6" Scouts move for PCS :>

You don't get the scout move if you have characters, as every model in the unit needs to have the rule for it to trigger.

Not supe sure what command reroll does for them though. The charge and advance is already rerolls , and you can't reroll the d6 move from push. 

Sigismund's Seal seal says it increases the attacks characteristic other bearers melee weapons by 1.

A techmarine's servo arms have extra attacks.

So a techmarine with SS would get 5 omni-axe attacks, and 4 servo arm attacks? Giving him 5 attacks at s6 ap-2 dmg 2, and 4 attacks at s8 ap-2 dmg 3? 

He can attach to a tactical squad, which means he can attach to a crusader squad. Now, I know first born CS's aren't as good as PCS, but I like my firstborn. 20 guys is still 60 attacks critting on 5's when AAC is on. Hit them with Fervent Acclamation to give lethal, and they should still kill anything that they are meant to kill. 

Have a dreadnought or two follow the squad to not waste the techmarine's other abilities.