Death Guard Index

42 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

What by the Emperor's knees, is this?

Screenshot_20230613_141222_Drive.jpg.9c6079e0e76c5c1ea227f47c0d29a2cf.jpg

Such an obvious copy and paste error. What relevance does selecting the enemy unit have?

I"m assuming intent here, but it just looks like they missed "From that unit" at the end of "Characters of that attack".

I thought the doom and gloom after the preview dropped was a bit much.  I was hoping for some golden nuggets that would bring some resilience to the table.

But now I am really disappointed and grumpy about this index... -.-

I mean the lethal hits on almost all of the weapons is kinda nice, but I am missing the charakter of those hard to kill, relentless trench fighters.

25 minutes ago, hierojin said:

I thought the doom and gloom after the preview dropped was a bit much.  I was hoping for some golden nuggets that would bring some resilience to the table.

But now I am really disappointed and grumpy about this index... -.-

I mean the lethal hits on almost all of the weapons is kinda nice, but I am missing the charakter of those hard to kill, relentless trench fighters.

As a cheer-up joke, DG've now become the equivalent of sandbags on sherman tanks in WW2.

They APPEAR hardier than non-stinky marines (generic CSM marines), and against most small arms they are indeed a boon; but that 75-88mm (S6+ weapons; and really, heavy bolters are still a terror) is still going right the hell through.

The loss of durability flavor helping them to actually be a fluffy "war of dogged otherworldly attrition" force is a crying shame.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

2 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

I am still concerned that we have so very little S10+ weaponry.

With a Helbrute or two to reach out and de-buff enemy T, S8/9 gets alot more interesting for hunting big things, especially transports

24 minutes ago, hierojin said:

I was hoping for some golden nuggets that would bring some resilience to the table.

Resilience / healing / resurrect benefit options in the index:

3/6 Stratagems (-1 Dmg in melee, heal d3/3, Stealth)

FnP 6" Aura (Daemon Prince)

-1 to hit in melee (Typhus)

-1 Dmg in melee (Terminator Sorceror)

-1 to wound in melee (plaguecaster)

Resurrect 1 plague marine per turn (plague surgeon)

So that's 5 resilience abilities out of 14 Characters, or basically a third of the options. 

Just so we're on the same page with 'how much resilience is in there'. Some may feel that these buffs are not as broad or effective as they'd like; I'd remind us all that T5/6 on marines/termies is already a substantial benefit, and adding a tonne of buffs to that baseline can quickly equate to imbalance.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

DG players are going to DG, but I was also thinking of what tournament lists may leverage. Three Helbrutes to pass around Contagion are going to be a must. I think three War Dogs (either Huntsman or Stalkers or a mix) or a LoV with three Defilers with lascannons for for dedicated anti-tank and all-around bullying. Toss in Blightlords or Deathshroud in a Land Raider, fill the rest with Plague Marines and characters. Just my opinion.

Obviously all depends on points.

1 hour ago, Tymell said:

Not specific to Death Guard, but the way they phrase winged unit datacard titles as, "DEATH GUARD DAEMON PRINCE with wings" always makes me picture GW taking my order at a restaurant and me asking for my monstrous otherworldly tyrant with a side of wings, please.

Or he comes with a can of Red Bull

No gellerpox is a bit strange considering the models are still being sold. I wonder if they based the index only on the DG codex and forgot the gellerpox were added in afterwards. They got a specific boarding actions list so its not like GW didn't know they were there.

2 hours ago, Dr. Clock said:

With a Helbrute or two to reach out and de-buff enemy T, S8/9 gets alot more interesting for hunting big things, especially transports

Resilience / healing / resurrect benefit options in the index:

3/6 Stratagems (-1 Dmg in melee, heal d3/3, Stealth)

FnP 6" Aura (Daemon Prince)

-1 to hit in melee (Typhus)

-1 Dmg in melee (Terminator Sorceror)

-1 to wound in melee (plaguecaster)

Resurrect 1 plague marine per turn (plague surgeon)

So that's 5 resilience abilities out of 14 Characters, or basically a third of the options. 

Just so we're on the same page with 'how much resilience is in there'. Some may feel that these buffs are not as broad or effective as they'd like; I'd remind us all that T5/6 on marines/termies is already a substantial benefit, and adding a tonne of buffs to that baseline can quickly equate to imbalance.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

I have two concerns, one major and one minor. The -1 damage strat costs 2 CP, and is sure to be a target for the "increase CP by 1 for the rest of battle" strats we've seen. 3 CP (based on what we've seen for gaining CP) is a massive investment and can cost an army out of using any other strats for a turn or two. My other concern (the minor one) is whether the Terminator Sorcerer will survive to the Codex.

5 minutes ago, jaxom said:

The -1 damage strat costs 2 CP, and is sure to be a target for the "increase CP by 1 for the rest of battle" strats we've seen

Perhaps, but only if multi-damage melee is a key strategy the enemy is adopting in the first place... which so far is seeming maybe a bit rare. For most of my armies Cloud of Flies would be alot more tempting for a Vecting tbh.

10 minutes ago, jaxom said:

My other concern (the minor one) is whether the Terminator Sorcerer will survive to the Codex.

Fair - but we know you'll have at least a year to use it, and there's really no way to know whether there will be more or less 'resilience' buffs in the Codex than the Index.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

4 hours ago, Dark Legionnare said:

As a cheer-up joke, DG've now become the equivalent of sandbags on sherman tanks in WW2.

They APPEAR hardier than non-stinky marines (generic CSM marines), and against most small arms they are indeed a boon; but that 75-88mm (S6+ weapons; and really, heavy bolters are still a terror) is still going right the hell through.

The loss of durability flavor helping them to actually be a fluffy "war of dogged otherworldly attrition" force is a crying shame.

The point of sandbags (and logs and things) was mostly to protect against handheld AT like panzerfausts and panzershreks. Similar to the Germans’ use of armored skirts. The idea was that it would cause the charge to detonate prematurely and thereby reduce the risk of armor penetration. How well this worked in practice is up for debate, but yes, that crap wouldn’t stop a Tiger’s 88 at practically spitting distance like in Fury, but I think most crews knew that.

Also the extra weight from the improvised armor would increase the risk of suspension breakdowns, which might explain the low movement characteristic of DG :biggrin:

I think the most insulting thing is our detachment bonus. Sticky objectives are nice but when nearly every other army has them it doesn't really become "our" bonus. That we have it on every unit isn't much, since more often than not the only one you are going to sticky is your home objective and even then you still have to leave units behind to screen out deep strikers.

For example regular chaos marines can also sticky an objective via cultists so they basicly have our detachment ability as well thanks to a 50pt unit.

It looks like regular CSM with MoN on every unit will be more like DG than actual DG. Plague Marines are even better in a CSM army than a DG army... think about that for a moment.