Aeldari Index

TrawlingCleaner

3 hours ago, Bouargh said:

I should have missed something...

I though it was the purpose of the Forums such as B&C: getting a collaborative platform of free of charge proof readers... (in case of doubt this is supposed to be humoristic...)

Anyway, it is not only proof reading - shall, as apparently said/rumoured, be the system of points updates 4 per year and balance dataslate twice a year be maintained it, means that not only proof reading reading is missing but also the previous integral game design. Which is more or less business as usual if we look in the back years. 

I'd be happy if they put them out as beta indexes, let community scour them, then reissued final ones. This stuff is hard. 2000+ datasheets or something.

They need to fail faster and have a versioning system.

But they've gone direct to live and print with these, so now we'll have a mountain of correction notes and 'add...'

Mmm points just dropped and I was completely wrong. It's so much worse than imagined. 

No upgrade costs, super cheap wraithknight, cheap Enhancements etc etc.

For less than 1000 points you can pack in x2 WS, x2 GD, Eldrad and a regular FS with a Wraithknight.

I would like to check some of the other potentially broken combos, but at first glance there is nothing as badly under costed as the Wraithknight. Maybe something in the sisters with their fate dice, but I don't know if they can reliably deliver 4d6 mortals a turn for under a 1000 points. 

11 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Those 4D6 MWs will likely require all your 6s. 14 MWs is a heck of an alpha strike but it is like using all your CPs 9th. 

You mean one 6 right? Of the 2-3 you should start with every game?

Heavy Wraithcannon has blast, so against even a 5 man unit its doing d3+1 attacks. Lets be generous to the other player and just make it 2 attacks. Hitting on 3+ for safety sake we spend a 3+ fate dice, and have an 8/9th chance of hitting with the second attack since you get a free re-roll to hit.

So two hits, requiring 1 natural 6 and one other FD or any value to now dump 4d6mortal wounds guaranteed into something. 

Into a 10-14 man squad with average dice you're getting 4 attacks, for 3-4 hits without the first fate dice. So lets say 3 hits, then with the re-roll to wound you have a 30% chance to spike another 2d6 MW's even if you don't have/don't want to spend another 6.

On 15 dice you would expect a distribution of 2.5 of any given value. So if you roll poorly with your first 15 (ie less than 2 6s) it's worth picking them up and rolling again, where you still have 14 dice and should expect 2.3333 of each value. 

There is just way too much consistency in this system with the available invulnerable saves and MW production. And a flatly reject that using 1 or 2 6s on turn one is that degrading. The farseer can still flip a FD to 6 every turn, native re-roll to wound on 3 hits still yields a 52% chance of naturally procing a MW shower. This is just too consistently easy on very 'cheap' models. And given the vast amount of Invul and 2+ armour saves on the desirable units 4s and 5s retain a high degree of value. 

On top of this, the Wraithknight/Farseer combo also benefits going the other way. The -1 to wound from Fortune will just rub broken glass and lemon juice into your opponents eyes. How do you even begin to tackle something like that Wraithknight. Sure first you try and kill the Farseer, but with the WS in the way that's no easy feat. 

Again, don't misconstrue that just because Eldar are broken in a bad, un-fun for the opponent way, does not forgive GW's other sins. I'm sure playing against the Guard Artillery park is going to be equally unpleasant.  1095 points gets 3 Basilisks, 3 Manticores, and 9 scout sentinels. Against some match-ups that's just going to table the opponent who cannot do anything in response.

8 minutes ago, Commissar Yossarian said:

How do you even begin to tackle something like that Wraithknight. Sure first you try and kill the Farseer, but with the WS in the way that's no easy feat. 

I don't know where you are getting the idea that the Farseer is hard to kill. The toughest unit it can join is Guardians. If you want it dead, you only have to chew through 14 T3 wounds which isn't exactly hard.

29 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I don't know where you are getting the idea that the Farseer is hard to kill.

Yeah, they're extremely fragile - even taking them without a Bodyguard and hiding them they'd die to Indirect Fire easily; and with Bodyguard they're harder to hide. Warlock Conclave is probably ok: small unit, 4++ and -1 to wound, so you've got 6W, 4++ and functional S-1 for Toughness.

On 6/15/2023 at 2:19 PM, Karhedron said:

Wow, Reapers have been hit hard with the nerf bat and they were not strong in 9th. Their Reaper Launchers have been weakened into irrelevance. I guess GW doesn't want to sell any of the those plastic Reapers. Are they still paying for the sins of 8th edition Ynnari? :ermm:

OK, now I see why Reapers are so watered down. At just 15ppm they are only 1 point more than Dire Avengers. At that price they are worth it for some cheap backfield shooters.

3 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I don't know where you are getting the idea that the Farseer is hard to kill. The toughest unit it can join is Guardians. If you want it dead, you only have to chew through 14 T3 wounds which isn't exactly hard.

Hence the wave serpents. Also, while indirect fire is a problem from turn 2 onwards, you are still functionally standing at the back of the board so not a lot of infantry type weapons will be able to get to you. With the 12" reach of the Farseer its not likely that hard to keep the Farseer hidden/in cover and still keep the wraithknight in range.

The other thing to remember is this grouping is less than half the army in a typical 2k game. And out of that Eldrad and his guardian squad with wave serpent should be heading up field to mindwar etc since he has already served his purpose with the 3 pre game Fate Dice. It may even be worth while to actually leave Eldrad naked and just let him die in the open. It still requires your opponent to waste shooting at him, and the points for the Wave Serpent and Guardians could be put elsewhere. 

With the remaining 1000 points you can pack in things like an Avatar, Weapon Platforms, a Wave Serpent full of aspect warriors, untargatable rangers with Illic, Wraithguard, actual death clowns, night spinners etc. That is still a lot of bullying in the midfield to deal with while the MW battery is discharging on the home objectives. 

So apparently I no longer own enough Wraithguard/Wraithblades to fill out a 2k list. I guess Wraiths are a horde now.

On a related note, while I think I get the gist of the War Construct on the Wriathguard datasheet, but why does it make the weapons Pistols?  

Edit: For Reference:

image.png.e808a3bde88818dbba47fb4764b24789.png

Edited by Trokair

12 minutes ago, Trokair said:

On a related note, while I think I get the gist of the War Construct on the Wriathguard datasheet, but why does it make the weapons Pistols?  

I would assume it's so that they can shoot back even if they get shot by Pistols in Engagement Range? Not that that's a big deal, but still nice that they did actually think of that. Would also mean that they could shoot at an enemy vehicle that's in ER somewhere else and not suffer the -1 to hit from Big Guns Never Tire.

13 minutes ago, Trokair said:

So apparently I no longer own enough Wraithguard/Wraithblades to fill out a 2k list. I guess Wraiths are a horde now.

So when your opponent hits you in melee, you shoot them in the face.

12 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Not exactly thrilled that guardians are 110:ermm:

That's about 10 ppm + 10 for the heavy weapon. They are one of the few squads Farseers can join and they generate an extra FD per turn when sitting on an Objective. I think a lot of players will take 1 squad to proc their special rules but probably only 1. I am trying to figure out how to work with Corsairs as they don't look too bad.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:07 PM, Commissar Yossarian said:

Don't forget blast. On a 20 man unit you're looking at 4+d3 attacks. With a re-roll to hi and re-roll wound baked in for every attack your odds of naturally procing a critical wound actually isn't that bad...

I thought all 20-model units were gone in 10th edition. So you could certainly annihilate a standard 10-model unit and leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Zebukkuk said:

I thought all 20-model units were gone in 10th edition.

Guard (Infantry Squads of the varying types), Orks (Boys), Necrons (Warriors), Tyranids (Termangants, Hormagaunts), and Genestealer Cults (Hybrids) can all bring 20-strong units - and in some cases bigger (Guard can bring a 29 30-strong unit: full Infantry squad [20], + Platoon Command squad [+4 5=25], + another Leader, eg, Commissar [+1=26], + Regimental Attaches [+3=29], + Ogryn Bodyguard [+1=30])

Edited by Kallas
Corrected size - thanks Vardus

8 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

How many units of guardians are people thinking about taking in 10th?

Probably just one unit of Defenders for home Objective camping in order to generate Fate Dice. Currently I run a Footseer but I may get a Jetseer soon.

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Probably just one unit of Defenders for home Objective camping in order to generate Fate Dice. Currently I run a Footseer but I may get a Jetseer soon.

Yeah im thinking one at the back with a foot autarch to generate cmd points

Then I need something to bodyguard Eldrad and I'm torn between 4 foot locks at 120 and another squad of guardians at 110:ermm:

Guardians are prob better, cheaper, more bodies, heavy weapon, fate dice.