Aeldari Index

TrawlingCleaner

I am leaning in favour of the Flytarch. With Lone Operative he is going to be hard to pin down. He can hang back and boost leadership or fly off late-game to nab an unguarded Objective. That then leaves the Guardian squad free to babysit Eldrad. I think there is a strong case for having both Eldrad and a regular Farseer as Eldrad provides an extra 3 FD but the regular Farseers get to turn one into a 6 each turn. My thinking for Leaders currently is something like this.

Autarch Wayleaper with Reaper Launcher, Starglaive and Banshee Mask

Eldrad in a Guardian Defender Squad

Farseer on Jetbike in a unit of 6 Jetbikes with Shuricannons. Maybe a Warlock with conceal too

Even with the Warlock, that comes into only 310 points on the Leaders and provides a lot of utility. You get 15 FD to start, you can change one low roll into a 6 each turn, the Defenders generate 1 FD per turn if they are on an Objective and the Autarch generates +1CP in each of your command phases. Plus you get their various psychic and ranged artacks.

Edited by Karhedron

Reaper Launchers have been nerfed into the ground for no readily apparent reason. They weren't particularly good or popular in 9th edition. I guess Dark Reapers are cheap now, at only 15ppm they make a decent backfield unit. 75 points MSU including an Exarch with missile launcher is OK-ish considering they come with a 3+/5++ save.

Just delving into this index and am I correct in thinking I can field a pure Harlequin force and take 3+ troupe as battle line so long as a troupe master is my warlord?  I also assume I can use the Yncarne in a pure harlequins list as they share the same faction and faction keyword?

Sorry may seem like silly questions but mind is overloaded with info at the minute.

51 minutes ago, happyslugger said:

Just delving into this index and am I correct in thinking I can field a pure Harlequin force and take 3+ troupe as battle line so long as a troupe master is my warlord?  I also assume I can use the Yncarne in a pure harlequins list as they share the same faction and faction keyword?

Sorry may seem like silly questions but mind is overloaded with info at the minute.

That is correct... loss of special rules aside ( because yeah, harlequins lost alot ) you can technically still play your old force when taking a troupe master as a warlord, as then you can have 6 troupes, with a max of 12 each thats 72 harlequins I think that is as much as you ever could take.

You can add Yncarne, there is no penalty and not even a total lack of synergy.

But it gets better.. ( if you are capable of looking at it from a sandbox pov);

Yvraine and the Visarch can lead and synergise with troupes, and even if you dont like the ynnari lore.. the models (imho) pair very well with harlequins, especially with some small conversions.. dont like the models either ? proxy them.

Currently wave serpent and falcon are effectively Aeldari rhinos (as in a generic Imperium transport).. they fully fit in a harlequin force too.

Basically from being something like Custodes harlequins became something like black templars, with access to a whole lot of datasheets to base conversions and proxies on.

I for example plan to use one of my many unbuilt hellions ( thank you bargain bin gangs of commoragh) as an Autarch Wayleaper, I could see a similar conversion and the same rules being used to represent something like a mastermime.

I have the two models you mention above as I brought the box set (only built and painted the  Ynacarne).

I only have harlequin models about 5 starweavers / voidweavers, 10 bikes, 2 DJ, a solitaire, 2 shadowseer, about 25 troupe, 3 troupe masters (if I remember correctly). 

Think I can just about muster 2k points with them given the new points. Given how pants my DG are currently, I think I may have a few games with harlequins also (I didn't play much in 9th).

I don't really want to run out and purchase new eldar models just in case they squat my harlequins later on lol. Plus, space is very much a premium. 

Edited by happyslugger

Lots of game groups in my area insisting on house ruled Eldar nerfs and we've already seen some places banning them outright, what do people think needs to be changed to avoid all this backlash they're getting right now?

Would halving the number of fate dice or preventing them being used in conjunction with devastating wounds be enough?

I think this talk of nerfing is a serious knee-jerk overreaction caused by one tournament group getting salty. GW were quick to errata Deathwatch who could generate a ridiculous number of MWs, the fact they left Eldar alone suggests to me that is how they are intended to work.

However if you want to extend the olive branch, I would suggest that 6s on Fate Dice do not count as "natural 6s" so will not trigger Critical Hits or Devastating Wounds. That is the simplest solution and avoids the biggest problem everyone is complaining about by dumping MWs. It would certainly earn you sportsmanship points.

One other thing to bear in mind is that Fate Dice do not scale. At 1000 points, it feels like you have a lot as you have a small army to spread them across. At 2000 points less so. At 3000 points they will not go very far.

Putting fate dice too one side for a mo, and the couple of units that are bit to good, like the knight, eldar units are actually worse off than last ed:yes:

As Ulthwé Ive lost my inv save and save vs mortal wounds, 

Loss of battle focus means my units are slower

They may just be minor things but it adds up:smile:

Some of the aspect units even got nerfed:laugh:

and vs higher toughness values, units like banshees are even less useful:sad:

48 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Putting fate dice too one side for a mo, and the couple of units that are bit to good, like the knight, eldar units are actually worse off than last ed:yes:

As Ulthwé Ive lost my inv save and save vs mortal wounds, 

Loss of battle focus means my units are slower

They may just be minor things but it adds up:smile:

Some of the aspect units even got nerfed:laugh:

and vs higher toughness values, units like banshees are even less useful:sad:

This is something I've been pondering as I have neither a WK or support weapons; what do Eldar have after Devastating Wounds is changed?

Wraiths are pretty great, definitely need support from either spiritseers or handy guide/doom from Farseers and they're pretty aggressively priced. 

Scorpions are also pretty great, their devastating wounds isn't too egrigous and helps push through hordes although horde clearance isn't something the army needs desperately

Same for Banshees, slightly better Vs armoured targets and fight first is ace.

Hawks have a huge amount of utility, any unit that can reposition on the fly in the opponent's turn is great and will likely win close games

Warpspiders also have a lot of utility to dash across the board

Both Avatars are great but are prime targets for Oaths of Moment, Eye of the Ancestors etc so are going to be hard to use

Fire Prisms are quite scary as our premium tanks but really want you to use Fate Dice for damage so they can do their damage before dying

Windriders are definitely another unit to keep an eye on, there's a part of me that wonders if they're the next power unit after WK and SW

If we get a merciful GW balance, Fate Dice won't count as Crit Hits and we'll still be mostly in tact or some other tweak and well be fine. We've got a good selection of unit and we'll still be nice and strong but not have the potential for nuttiness through a couple of units. I do wonder how merciful GW will be though :biggrin:

@TrawlingCleanerwhat do you mean by Fire Prisms are quite scary as our premium tanks but really want you to use Fate Dice for damage so they can do their damage before dying

They are probably the least fate dice-reliant unit in the codex... which is one of the things that makes them great in my opinion! It saves fate dice for other things. 

I think he saying that because they're fragile, you want to make sure they get damage in before they get blown up, so use a fate die on the damage roll, which is the most variable part of their gun.

18 minutes ago, Urkh said:

I think he saying that because they're fragile, you want to make sure they get damage in before they get blown up, so use a fate die on the damage roll, which is the most variable part of their gun.

I think Paladin is confused because Fire Prisms have Damage 6 (not d6) guns :laugh:

Edit: and they're very self sufficient, because they get 2 rerolls to hit and wound from their Crystal Targeting Matrix + Battle Host.

Edited by Kallas

14 minutes ago, Kallas said:

I think Paladin is confused because Fire Prisms have Damage 6 (not d6) guns :laugh:

Edit: and they're very self sufficient, because they get 2 rerolls to hit and wound from their Crystal Targeting Matrix + Battle Host.

That's exactly what I was saying. They have absolutely no need for fate dice (offensively speaking) because of both the rerolls and flat damage. 

oh wait, yeah, I was confused by your comment for a moment. Got it now!

Edited by Paladin777

• 2 weeks later...

So, with GWS saying there is going to be a change (see: nerf) to fate dice, I want to ask the following question:

Assuming they dont change anything about guardians, how much would they have to nerf fate dice to make storm guardians  and their sticky objectives actually worth considering over the extra fate die the guardian defenders generate? Is it even possible without just neutering the faction ability? Do storm guardians need addition buffs to make them make them catch up to defenders? I know both are still pretty weak units, but they're our only battleline, so they have a role nonetheless. 

I don't know, Storm Guardians have always been weak and I do not know a way to fix them without invalidating Banshees and Scorpions. The only decent build for them was back in 4th/5th edition with the tri-flamer loadout.

Would you rather leave an Objective unguarded and trust to ObjSec or is it better to park a Lone Operative like a Death Jester or Autarch Wayleaper on them?

Wave serpent question folks. The serpent shield ability can be triggered at any time correct? So I can trigger it in the opponents command phase before the battleshock phase to force a unit to take battleshock as a gamble as to whether they will be able to hold an objective or not? (As if it were in my own turn it would be cancelled at the point of the opponent phase starting). Cheers.