Munitorum Field Manual (Points)

1 hour ago, crimsondave said:

I know what ITC and FLG is.  I guess I wasn’t paying close attention in 7th to notice.  I hated 7th (taudar edition) with a passion so that’s not surprising.

I’d be fine with ITC coming up with something.  I can’t believe it would be worse.

Not going to happen: GW bought the ITC

8 hours ago, Zebukkuk said:

Think about it for a minute. Tournament players prefer optimal builds within a points limit for each unit. Now this doesn’t matter anymore. Said tournament players now have an incentive to buy more models, even if the army they use is very old, or if optimal options have been stagnant for many years.

The very last thing tournament players have is "stagnant" collection. They meta chase hard and do not really buy models they can proxy, 3d-print or recast. Anyone saying the tournament scene suddenly bought a ton of original GW stock when the most broken thing in 40k were hordes upon hordes of pink/blue/yellow horrors is lying to themselves and probably you as well. They were recast and 3d-printed. Same for tons of Screamers and Flamers before them. People used 12 manta toys for Screamers before buying the hideously expensive kits of 3 per box.

Yes, they will buy where they have to - but will also eagerly adapt and magnetize / recast / print to multiply kits by using all bits and options whereever possible. Sure, there will be people who have so much money they don't care - but most meta chasers do not and have to either rotate their collection rapidly through third party sales or otherwise make it feasible.

Also, the tournament scene is such a visible, but utterly miniscule part of the entirety of gaming community, that basing GW's "business model" upon them is simply ridiculous.

Edited by Kastor Krieg

The AoS approach to unit sizes and upgrades kinda works there. Model kits (especially new ones) have been designed with that in mind and so options are minimal, equivalent or cosmetic for the most part. There's also the generic endless spells you can use to fill in points gaps in your list. And if you do have less points than your opponent you get a bonus. It's thought through at least. 

That said the lack of granularity means there's often times building a list that I end up at 2010 points or similar. With no ways to trim points it means removing or swapping entire units out. It's a pain. 

40k list building is one of the things I enjoy the most as a casual player. My battlescribe is usually full of lists for armies I do and don't play and tinkering around with them is something I get a lot out of. I don't get the same enjoyment from AoS (although it does mean their app works well) and I worry 10th will lose this for me too. 

First games later this week. I expect to like the rule set and some of my army. But not the process of building it. We'll see. 

13 minutes ago, Doobles88 said:

The AoS approach to unit sizes and upgrades kinda works there. Model kits (especially new ones) have been designed with that in mind and so options are minimal, equivalent or cosmetic for the most part.

I'm just looking at the 5 or 10 model options for plague marines, and the 7 that come in the box, and feeling bad. 

6 hours ago, AenarIT said:

Not going to happen: GW bought the ITC

No, they didn't. 

https://frontlinegaming.org/community/frontline-gamings-independent-tournament-circuit/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/28/warhammer-the-itc/

It's still independent, it is in partnership. They were not "bought" by GW

5 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

No, they didn't. 

https://frontlinegaming.org/community/frontline-gamings-independent-tournament-circuit/

If I look at the 9th edition missions it feels more like the ITC took over GW there. 

43 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

No, they didn't. 

Call it "ITC sold out to the corporate" instead of remaining independent, then. Same result.

I have just a few thoughts on the new points we were given. First I kinda like it.  Second I've only started to skim the documents but it reminds me of 2nd edition where things were very inflexible.  But we'll see my opinion may change.  It was never going to be perfect or even liked by everyone. I'm again reminded that it's not my game it's GW's game. 
I don't think that old points will return any time soon as I expect this to follow the trajectory of AoS. I think we all do.  

On Fan made points for tournaments, why stop there. I'm not a fan of itc anything but I have to laugh about it still being called a major tournament. I mean at what point will it just be a given that  that's not even 40K anymore. Where's the line. But by all means they should make their own points system and terrain rules and mission and why stop there.  
I just want an admission they are not playing 40K.  
Don't get me wrong I am all for house rules but I also don't expect randos in a shop to agree to house rules concocted on the internet or where ever, played by who ever. 

I'm hugely thankful to see the rules and index lists and points before spending any money and so far that's the best part of 10th edition for me. 
Or, I love these new points ! They were free !