Traitor Guard Army (Militarum Traitoris)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, been a bit busy lately, but here's my first infantry squad - in HD this time. As this was the test unit for the army there's actually quite a few minor differences in how I paint now compared to then - but the biggest peeve I have with this lot is I forgot to paint eyes on most of them! Gonna have to go back and do that sometime...

TvpBlZA.jpg

Those look great!

If you don't like greenstuffing sandbags, military miniature modelers such as Tamiya have some that you can buy, made in plastic.  Here's an example of the Iteri one, though the price seems a bit steep and you can likely find it elsewhere cheaper.

The modeling kit is great for static emplacement like you were doing, though you might not get enough "bend" to made them curve as tightly as you might want.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Those look great!

If you don't like greenstuffing sandbags, military miniature modelers such as Tamiya have some that you can buy, made in plastic.  Here's an example of the Iteri one, though the price seems a bit steep and you can likely find it elsewhere cheaper.

The modeling kit is great for static emplacement like you were doing, though you might not get enough "bend" to made them curve as tightly as you might want.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of these. I might get some and pull the greenstuff ones off 

Glad that was helpful - here's pictures of some of the Tamiya ones I used.  The group with the bent one is from the GW cadian heavy weapon set - the Tamiya one's don't bend at all.

That said, your greenstuff ones look fine for what they are - a bag with sand in it.

Tamiya also has a great brick wall set which is good for 50mm bases with heavy weapons crews - let me know and I can share some pictures.

And here is a link to the Tamiya sandbags set - they also have another that isn't curved, which is what I have, but I can't seem to find any pictures of it.  Anyway, the Tamiya kits seem to be about half the price of the Iteri one (at least in North America) though they may have less pieces.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

On 10/18/2023 at 11:06 PM, Bonehead said:

Fantastic work! I love the attention to detail on literally every model. Simply can't fault it anywhere.

Thank you :) I still can't believe I decided to paint a heavily converted horde army to display standard, I must subconsciously hate myself

Now that Nurgle's rot has left my system, I got some good snaps of my combined mutant catachan squads. I'm planning three squads this size based on how many spare parts I have in 25+ years worth of bitzboxes :laugh:

Jrf8Stt.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I decided to get a picture of the entire project so far:

DyYVc3E.jpg

Bad idea. The lighting at this time of year here in England is appalling (although you could argue that all four seasons are merely different varieties of overcast). I was also using a zoom lens as it appears I don't have just a regular ol' normal lens. 

Anyway, I don't think that's bad for 13 months of painting! 82 models so far - 1 Leman Russ, 6 Bullgryns, 1 Primaris Psyker, 3 Sentinels, 2 Infantry Squads, 1 Mortar Squad, 1 Command Squad and 2 full-size Catachan Squads. I've never painted an army to this standard before. Hopefully come summer I can get a better picture and the horde will have grown also :)

What do we think I should add next? I have some more infantry in the works right now, but after that? Did I hear someone mention chaotic Rough Riders a while back? ;)  

Edited by renegadeguard

Something new! I'd been wondering how to differentiate Cadian Shock Troops from my regular ol' infantry squads and Catachans. Then I remembered some classic Rogue Trader era art depicting chaos squats. So now, in the lore of my army, the heavily forested world of Sylvanis is covered in vast mountain ranges converted into hive cities, with men living in the upper areas and kinfolk mining deep in the depths below. When the great rift tore across the galaxy and engulfed the Sylvanis system, both human and kin fell together, taking up arms against the Imperium.

It's mostly the Wargames Atlantic Einherjar kit with blooded arms and a few extra bits sprinkled in :) 

NFKF9VP.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As always, wonderful stuff.

And as someone who has painted up a little over 2,000 points of Traitor Guard to a high standard I have this to say Yes, the process will drive you crazy. But it will be worth it. You could even be like me and name all your 150+ troopers. :biggrin:

Nostroman 9th, "Hell's Horde!"

Edited by Tallarn Commander