Traitor Guard Army (Militarum Traitoris)

First post here, hope I've done it right and this is the correct board...

Took advantage of good lighting conditions this evening to get some shots of my traitor guard army, the Sylvanic Rifles, in progress. I'll document it here as it grows. First up, a platoon command squad. CNC welcome :) 

2 Platoon Command Squad.jpg

Those look awesome!  I really look forward to seeing more of them!  What's the banner from?  Its super evocative.

And, for the first time with the Index since 4th edition, you can field them with an actual GW (as opposed to Forge World or fan made) army list using the Heretic Astartes index.  Still leaves you pretty limited in terms of unit choices, so you are probably better off using the Astra Militarum rules for them, but it does let you do things like field beastmen and defilers, both of which work pretty well for traitor mortals (though for the defliler, combining the legs or something similar with a Leman Russ would likely be more along the look you are probably going for).

Thanks! The banner top is from the AoS Ungors kit. I'm gonna be using the AM codex for these, as I want all the tank toys :) but they'll probably become part of a larger chaos force in general

On 6/23/2023 at 5:59 PM, Darnok said:

These look awesome, very much looking forward to your next models already!

That hoove on the Sentinal is just inspired.  :thumbsup:

Thanks! It's not a hoof though, it's a blasted tree trunk in front of the foot. But I might have to do one with hooves now...

• 2 weeks later...

Trying out some better techniques for photography, which I'm really bad at. Here's another infantry squad aligned to Tzeentch, whose arcane knowledge has bleached their hair white with the shock. Blooded kit, BSF monopose, and heads from Frostgrave wizards/witches. Lascannon from a 1989 Predator tank that had seen far better days. 

20230715_161042.jpg

I think a larger vehicle like a chimera, basilisk or leman russ would be great - give you a large canvas to show off the camo pattern you have on the sentinel as well as any graffiti, slogans, banners, spikes and/or assorted trophies and kit that look so good in traitor guard armies.

Whatever you work on, if you think you can get it done in the next month or so, you should enter it as a vow in the 2023 Call to Arms painting event.

2 hours ago, renegadeguard said:

Thanks for the kind words, mortals! What do we all think the army needs next?

I agree with @Dr_Ruminahui, some heavy fire support in the form of a vehicle would be cool. Or delve deeper into the weird aspects of Chaos with mutants for example. 

These are some great painted models and kitbashes, and a great scenic backdrop, I'm jealous! The BSF monopose ones especially are not easy to seamlessly kitbash into riflemen. It's inspired me to start painting my platoon of 20 kitbashed models from the BSF and Blooded sets that I got as far as basing and undercoating in the spring. 

I would definitely say add some armour or an APC to back up your hoard. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Bonehead said:

I'm adding my weight to the 'paint a tank' faction. I'd love to see how you'd convert it. The infantry is just stunning so far so some vehicles are the logical next step.

Check out the call to arms chaos thread for my possessed Leman Russ :)

Just now, renegadeguard said:

Check out the call to arms chaos thread for my possessed Leman Russ :)

Actually might as well post it here for completeness' sake :) 

1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I've been neglecting this thread. To be honest I'm so proud of these models yet really depressed by the quality of the pictures I can take, so I bit the bullet and bought a bunch of stuff: digital SLR, macro lens, tripod, fill lights, lightbox, and a little turntable. I followed Louise Sugden's incredible tutorial on youtube and I'm so, so happy with the results.

This is what the models actually look like. No graininess, no blurred edges or out-of-focus bits, the colours are accurate, etc. I can't get across how much more confident this makes me posting things here. 

So I'm slowly re-taking photos of the entire army, including some units that nobody's seen yet. But Louise isn't wrong when she says the editing bit can take hours.

Anyway, here's my command squad, the very first unit I posted on this thread, but this time IN FOCUS :laugh:

pGz6N04.jpg

Edited by renegadeguard