37 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Sadly, I'm guessing there is no chance of this game being ported to 40k nor adding Xenos

The clue is in the name; it's not Epic.

The first seven years of "Epic," and the first four games for the system, weren't named "Epic," either. Everything was in "Epic Scale," just like it says on the new rulebook. 

Legions Imperialis is an attempt at a throwback/nostalgia title for people who remember when "Epic" was named Space Marine.

It's not how I'd have done it, but reading it in a way where this is, somehow "not Epic" is pretty iffy.

EDIT: I derped. 2E said "Epic" in little letters above the game titles on the boxsets—but not on the books. Only 1E didn't use the term.

Edited by J. H. Frank
i derped

They probably wont or itd be wave 3/if tge game was a smash hit but if they would eventually do daemons or daemon engines thatd be cool

Chaos players in gen might buy them for the tiny grester daemons

Would be a departure from all sides can use this box

4 hours ago, Dulahan said:

Yeah, and that's a concern for real.  I was really hoping it would functionally be Titanicus with new stuff, but doubt I'll get that sadly.  But AIUI Epic was similar to Battlefleet Gothic and that's my all time favorite GW game, so that might not be bad. 

Just wanna limit my buy in when I have so much stuff already!  And might wait for Faction Boxes or something to get a bunch of Solar Aux, or Marines, or Mechanicum when/if it comes.

Yeah, I think Titanicus’ rules are just so uniquely designed toward Titans that they probably won’t be ported into the new Epic, simply because it would create a longer game due to having to deal with the facing, turning, commands, heating, etc. for each Titan on top of whatever rule system they have in place for Legions (which I assume will be more complex than Knights in AT but not as involves as Maniples). 

Epic has always had this weird habit of changing the games name every edition, even when the edition didnt change much! Which is why i guess "Epic" is what everyone called it, (At least as far back as i recall) even though it was only explicitly part of the latter day names.

Helpful as Legions Imperialis is the worst name yet, makes me cringe something awful :D

We might get moderately complicated Titan rules, something like Space marine/Titan legions with essentially a datasheet and some locations etc, Titans really never felt great in the later two editions being so stripped down, and you can afford to be a bit complicated when one model is a third of your army! 

3 hours ago, J. H. Frank said:

The first seven years of "Epic," and the first four games for the system, weren't named "Epic," either. Everything was in "Epic Scale," just like it says on the new rulebook. 

Legions Imperialis is an attempt at a throwback/nostalgia title for people who remember when "Epic" was named Space Marine.

It's not how I'd have done it, but reading it in a way where this is, somehow "not Epic" is pretty iffy.

EDIT: I derped. 2E said "Epic" in little letters above the game titles on the boxsets—but not on the books. Only 1E didn't use the term.

Wonderful History of 'Epic', thank you; unfortunately the word Epic in the title wasn't my point. Epic is really just a scale.

Unfortunately for us the history doesn't set any precedent here.

The previous games you mentioned were epic scale 40k.

This game is not called Epic either, it's called:

Warhammer. The Horus Heresy.

+LEGIONS IMPERIALIS+.

Epic battles in the Age of Darkness.

None of the historical epic scale games were HH or AoD focused; which in today's GeeDub corporate speak is products for sale in the HH section of the GW and FW websites.

Current evidence is that a version of everything pictured so far is available in 28mm scale in the HH and Titans sections of FW and GW.

That was my original point, everything points to AoD Imperialis focused, just like 28mm HH.

We unfortunately have zero evidence that they will expand beyond HH/AoD Imperialis units for this game. For five years of AT18 they have not stepped off that line, AT18 is an AoD based game too.

Any hope we hold is merely assuming something without evidence. That road leads to disappointment.

I wish it wasn't true at this time, I have a bunch of mates gagging to pick up Epic 40k Xenos, but alas that doesn't look even slightly likely. 

I'm going to buy so many of those little tanks and planes it's ridiculous; so I'll be hiding my shared disappointment behind an absolute mountain of epic crack.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz
Manners

1 hour ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

We unfortunately have zero evidence that they will expand beyond HH/AoD Imperialis units for this game. For five years of AT18 they have not stepped off that line, AT18 is an AoD based game too.

I think the only indication we could get a 40k expansion is Aeronautica Imperialis. It was built with the same scale in mind and the Imperial  planes will have a place in this game. AI even had resin AA assets 

Edited by sitnam

Yeah, I think that is the only indication too, the similar scale.

But I feel the AI link is tenous at best.

Mostly because of its' comparative lack of success, but also because it is specifically labelled as for the  41st Millennium.

Legions Imperialis (LI) is specifically labelled for AoD and GeeDub have been very resistant  to crossing the time periods; hell they just moved 28mm scale HH minis to Legends to further separate them in 10th.

My son and I are really looking forward to buying a mountain of planes for LI though.

I like beakies, but I hope they release Space Marine kits with other armor marks. Mk II-IV are the ones I associate most with the heresy era. But I’m also just happy we’re getting epic, since my first forays into wargaming were through 15mm ww2 games and I’ve been wanting a grander scale 30k/40K version to scratch that itch. Solar Auxilia are awesome too, and I hope they get a plastic 28mm release, though my wallet would probably appreciate me sticking to Marines.

10 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

The guy that did Titanicus and Necromunda and then left GW (James something) mentioned they had developed Epic rules as far back as when Titanicus was still going to be resin only. 

From a french Forum a while back, someone posted that Jervis Johnson, James Hewitt and James Gallagher are involved in this new "Warhammer Legion" EPIC Scale Game.

When they mentioned AT the first Time they also said that they want to increase the scale for better recognition of Space Marine Armour Marks.

12 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

The guy that did Titanicus and Necromunda and then left GW (James something) mentioned they had developed Epic rules as far back as when Titanicus was still going to be resin only. 

It only takes a second to Google someone as visible as James Hewitt, rather than have to write "James something" which is kinda just disrespectful...

Do you have a source for this? He didn't mention it in the goonhammer interview where he goes in depth, nor his 2017 Reddit. A later one? In the goonhammer interview Hewitt said:

James: Yeah, people want Eldar and Orks. When I was working on it, what I wanted to do was I wanted to make the game expandable. One of the problems the very first Titanicus had was the way void shields work was when you got hit with a weapon you lost a void shield. They then brought in the Space Marine expansion that brought in infantry, and they didn’t include any rules that said boltguns shouldn’t strip void shields. So infantry were just pulling void shields off titans. So that was always in the back of my mind, we need to learn from the past and make sure this game works for infantry, we need to make sure it works for Orks, Eldar. So we toyed around with lots of other things. The thing is, it might never happen, because to do a range of Imperial stuff and Ork stuff and Eldar stuff, it’s such a huge job.

You also have these comments from Reddit about developing Titanicus

Screenshot_20230703-063256_Chrome.thumb.png.4da5f2a8aaa1ccdac4ff26fce7e074e0.png

Screenshot_20230703-063256_Chrome.thumb.png.4da5f2a8aaa1ccdac4ff26fce7e074e0.png

Nor did he say this when doing his Twitter design commentary which has a lot of interesting wee bits

Anyway, from what I can tell, the game had the opportunity of future infantry integration - but if the new game is classic Epic, then that isn't what Hewitt developed back in 2016-17.

To be honest, the most critical bit was this:

Screenshot_20230703-065842.thumb.png.3ea81baf57e4d034a69a6690e083c016.png

Screenshot_20230703-063320_Chrome.png

In fairness it's not disrespectful at all. Not everyone has time or inclination to trawl the net as you did.

It come have come from a chat at games day or whatever. 

Its not a massive issue dude...

I long for orks/ xenos in Titanicus or epic but having waited since 1995 ish for plastic noise marines and I turn 40 in 3 weeks, I'm not getting my hopes up!

Seeing how much it was an opinion from the designers that "Epic is just not likely to happen" but the success and popularity of Adeptus Titanicus and constant cries of "bring back Epic!" caused them to rethink; I genuinely feel optimistic that this will be a success. 

Who knows where future expansions might lead us, but I'm very happy building an Ultramarines force.

Anyway, something I liked with the miniatures was how the infantry were arrayed. They don't have the abstract feel they used to when they were neatly lined up.

So here's a question guys and girls... what do we think will get a release as factions? Got to be the Legions of course, though sub factions rules might not exist at the scale:

• Astartes

• Solar Auxilia

• Mechanicum

As support elements?

• Custodes/Sisters

• Daemons (wow imagine some of the huge monsters they could build)

• Titan Legions (already done)

• Knights households (already done)

To be honest, whilst a big job it won't take forever to build 3 factions so what else can we expect in 6 years or so?

Maybe some Heresy era Gene Cults?

Re Aeronautica planes and prices for this, this might be optimistic on my part, but almost all the Imperial/Marine planes are plastic so they could rebox them all as a versus/army box for Epic with new bases and give said box the appearance of great value compared to Aeronautica prices

Chuck in some terrain and or AAA vehicles

35 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

...So here's a question guys and girls... what do we think will get a release as factions? Got to be the Legions of course, though sub factions rules might not exist at the scale:

• Astartes

• Solar Auxilia

• Mechanicum

As support elements?

• Custodes/Sisters

To be honest, whilst a big job it won't take forever to build 3 factions so what else can we expect in 6 years or so?

This guy for sure.

Screenshot_20230703_192516_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e3bd1919a50face973d89a708b6c9db3.jpg

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

34 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Seeing how much it was an opinion from the designers that "Epic is just not likely to happen" but the success and popularity of Adeptus Titanicus and constant cries of "bring back Epic!" caused them to rethink; I genuinely feel optimistic that this will be a success. 

Who knows where future expansions might lead us, but I'm very happy building an Ultramarines force.

Anyway, something I liked with the miniatures was how the infantry were arrayed. They don't have the abstract feel they used to when they were neatly lined up.

So here's a question guys and girls... what do we think will get a release as factions? Got to be the Legions of course, though sub factions rules might not exist at the scale:

• Astartes

• Solar Auxilia

• Mechanicum

As support elements?

• Custodes/Sisters

Was there any genestealer cults in the Heresy era? I thought it was a bit after where the Imperium first encountered the genestealers (before they encountered a Tyranid)

The Gene Cults information can be found here

GW have done it with the HH timeline with the 30K main game and adjusted things to bring in new war zones etc, so a "new" faction is entirely possible.

Edited by Captain Idaho

352623156.png

3 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

• Astartes

• Solar Auxilia

• Mechanicum

As support elements?

• Custodes/Sisters

I could see them releasing some Cadian-esq sprues to represent regular Army forces depending on how granular stats end up being. A lot of cross-compatibility with almost all the Solar Auxilia vehicles and they're future-proofed for if they ever fancy dipping into 40k. Same goes for Chaos Cultists perhaps.

Edited by Lord Marshal

One of the major plusses from Legions Imperialis will be seeing what the TOC does for future walks. Curious to see if they'll run a few sessions including other vehicles.

4 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

• Astartes

• Solar Auxilia

• Mechanicum

As support elements?

• Custodes/Sisters

I think they are going to follow HH2.0 with factions. So I would expect anyone who is in the main Libers but not necessarily those who only got a Legacies document. 

For example Solar Auxilia is in Liber Imperium while Imperialis Militia only has a Legacies document so it makes sense we got Solar Auxilia instead. In the same way I would expect Mechanicum and Custodes/Sisters of Silence but Daemons and Militia will probably not get something unless the game sells exceptionally well and then only in the far future.

This way we would have four core armies in 

• Space Marines

• Solar Auxilia

• Mechanicum

• Custodes/Sisters

And then Titans and Knights as addons to those. (Maybe also a way to play Knights on their own?)

Anything more like Daemons/Militia or factions that aren't in HH2.0 will depend on how well it sells and at that point I don't know if it wouldn't be better to expand to 40k instead

Edited by Matrindur