25 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

That'll do guys. We don't need to fall out over this and then a mod needs to go through removing posts and calls in an orbital bombardment. 

We are safe from orbital bombardment as they are coming in a further expansion :)

Edited by Pacific81

The problem with the SM sculpts for me is, there are companies that pull better quality in a smaller scale in plastic.

Google 1:350 scale ship crews.

The criticism is based that the GW stuff could have been better if they would have invested some time in the poses of the Marines or some money in better production mashines and still keep it a single piece model.

For me its the main reason to not buy the plastic SM Infantry and print my own.

I probably buy Tanks, Flyers etc. if GW gets a some sense and makes enough of that stuff to be sold.

To offset my negativity about the Mk VI legionary squads: Auxilia infantry look great. Their guns are oversized, but I don't mind that at this scale. They seem to have dodged the undercut bullet by being in fairly static firing line poses, which looks characterful for massed lasgun infantry and makes the command bases stand out. The tanks are stunning, some of the best micro armour I've ever seen. Increasingly impressed with the range the more reviews I see.

So, not going to let my disappointment with the SM infantry discourage me about LI at all, I'll just flip which part of my planned Dark Angels/Thramassi Nightwatch force is the main component and go nuts on Solar Auxilia.

With one of the earlier pic's, 3/5 were basically plastic blocks on that one base of tac marines. So for every x5, only x2 mini's look fine? If there are more better tac sculpts than bad ones, I would be combining x2 boxes to make one nice box and use the crap tac sculpts as basing material. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

I think the problem is that there are some sculpts that are :blink:… and we normally don’t expect that from GW due to factors of the price  we’re paying  for this premium product,  and their statement claiming to make the worlds best miniature models…. Do I take the crappy molds back to my GW and ask for them to be swapped over for proper molded minis ?!?… cause to me that looks like an error and not an intentional mini from the “Worlds best miniature making Company” … 

Ya idk what's happening. We know they can make nice epic scale infantry because...everything else looks great. These aren't like, mold slips or printing failures; they were OKd at the design stage to accommodate a one-piece port of the full scale model. 

It's understandable to be frustrated with the quality, especially at the full, not inexpensive, price. I don't like that some of my printed sicarans have some issues on their exhaust stacks, and i don't like how some of my official GW models have massive mold stretches. 

5 hours ago, Bung said:

The problem with the SM sculpts for me is, there are companies that pull better quality in a smaller scale in plastic.

Google 1:350 scale ship crews.

The criticism is based that the GW stuff could have been better if they would have invested some time in the poses of the Marines or some money in better production mashines and still keep it a single piece model.

For me its the main reason to not buy the plastic SM Infantry and print my own.

I probably buy Tanks, Flyers etc. if GW gets a some sense and makes enough of that stuff to be sold.

Just googled it, those look much, much worse, so not sure what your point is?

10 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

I have been asking around my internet friends who have actually been painting them. And the reactions are all this. And again a 8mm single mini from a single mold machine. of course it is going to look best from one angle.

IMG_5227.png

Technically a 9.81mm mini!

Screenshot_20231119-2205412.png.145171fcabaf3f73a6bec159847e52fb.png

But yeah this feels like griping over very little.

I guess one person's 'acceptable' is different from another's 'acceptable'. Fortunately we live (well, hopefully most of us!) in a free market and we can choose to either buy these or not. And because Epic was not officially supported for so long, we are in the same position as Necromunda and Blood Bowl was before, where there is a fair quantity of 3rd party stuff if you would rather have that, so at least there is that luxury and you don't *have* to buy these marines if you want to play Legions. 

Am i disappointed at some of the bits of unwanted plastic? Sure, but at the rate infantry gets taken off the board, and the distance i'm going to be seeing them from most of the time, I'm ok with these marines, I think they look ace. My only complaint is they are all Mk6 buts its only minor

Even when taking fancy close ups for Instagram, I'll be taking pics of them at angles that won't show the issues with some of the poses.

Edited by Cyrox

1 hour ago, Petitioner's City said:

Technically a 9.81mm mini!

Technically 8mm for humans like :tongue: because the SA are a little bit shorter (8.x mm) and the scale is more or less given for human size.

On another topic: battles => it seems that rules are out (or will be soon). Has any one tested a battle with only what we already have like 100% titans/knights with the LI system? (I know, this is not an official thing but I don't care hahahah). (or titan/knights/planes mix)

2 hours ago, Redcomet said:

I have been asking around my internet friends who have actually been painting them. And the reactions are all this. And again a 8mm single mini from a single mold machine. of course it is going to look best from one angle.

IMG_5227.png

I mean, to be fair, you can't really do much more than base coat+wash; the mold stretches are kinda antithetical to putting effort in bringing out details. I know i was happy with the choice to pure silver on my iron warrior tacs, but I'll have to watch how the oil washes pool so they don't provide too much emphasis on the stretches. 

Also worth pointing out the infantry sprue is 20 tac, with a total of 40; far from 100. And that the seeming choice between clean models and fiddly construction doesn't apply to the solar aux at all. 

28 minutes ago, Xanthous said:

Well if you're edge highlighting the problem then of course it's going to be more noticeable :biggrin:

Guys, now that we’ve seen them as EC, I know what happened. These are traitor marines already fused with their weapons. The boxes must just be mislabeled. 

I don't think this is going to annoy me that much – Epic miniatures are far more about the overall effect than individuals. Having said that, design compromise or not, it would certainly be nicer if changes in posing had minimised the need to use stretchy extrusions like this; as seems to have happened with the Solar Auxilia. I hope GW hears the criticism and bears it in mind for future releases.

My main concern with the infantry is resilience. Older editions had very fragile infantry – the Eldar and Beakies especially were prone to breakage at the legs – and while later designs were a bit better, I'm hoping that the consolidated new Epic scale means that figures are sturdier.