Mithril's - World Eaters WiP Thread.

MithrilForge

As the Title says, I finally got my Hands On my Combat Patrol Box!,

Will be using this as a Tool to encourage me to Continue with it at hopefully a bit faster than my Usual Glacial pace :laugh:.

Pics soon of Grey plastic stuck together....

I've been looking at everyone else's models being painted and it has enthused me to kick it into gear.

Cheers, M

Edited by MithrilForge

Ok it’s only grey but I’m trying new stuff with this army ,specifically I want to have them on rocky snow bases (another frater here did snow bound WE’s and they looked smashing) 

I’m putting round sprue inside some so I have a better initial contact glue point (time will tell) and others are glued to sprue with cork around them, These models are very dynamic and very awesome sculpts !!. 
here’s the first WiP pics- 

IMG_8408.thumb.jpeg.926d3c73d9258ea84803ba84f872d21c.jpeg

IMG_8410.thumb.jpeg.e2c9b83d2193610229fb67f33c18851e.jpeg

IMG_8409.thumb.jpeg.f2eb5c29f7dee6524350807371b8e8d6.jpeg

IMG_8416.thumb.jpeg.e88fa61a5cc6cc9ac5c56e63635de743.jpeg

and the method of sprue reinforcement 

IMG_8417.thumb.jpeg.eb79cadc7e85bacb4baab0e2ef7f0263.jpeg

I’ll be doing a 10 man squad then looking for a nice day for undercoating (it’s winter here so sunny days are quite rare :sweat:

cheers M

Edited by Mumeishi
Spelling >.<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been absent from these Angry Red dudes, Khorne will be ever so displeased with me :sweat:

WiP- just getting a feel for the models and colour choice. base coats down, Shoulder pads are separate, need to do some washes and highlights and get shades of grey with some ice and snow on the base.  ++EDIT++ and see if he can shake that Cat hair of his left hand :laugh:

IMG_8554.thumb.jpeg.eec1b6897f66d4ae8ce139ab428f6a62.jpeg

IMG_8556.thumb.jpeg.a2527689ed8ef77090bec36757e8d583.jpeg

I'm using Retributor gold with Agrax wash as my metal but #Darcy Bono recently did a word bearers video and made the ammo cases a nice brass with a mix of Garaghaks sewer and a touch of Ratling Grime over a bright silver base.... I might try it on my next figure.... see how it looks?.

Cheers, M

Edited by Mumeishi

He looks good, but I do think the brass on the chest looks better than the retributor - to me, the retributor is just too similar in colour and tone to the red and doesn't provide as nice of a contrast.  A more "silver" gold would also work, like golden griffon if it weren't a crappy dry brush paint.

I think similar could be said about the holster and pouches, which I think would look nicer in a darker brown, for the same reason as the above.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

@Dr_Ruminahui - all your points are correct.. unfortunately :tongue: , The Brown for the Holster and pouches was a scheme I used on some White Scars to great success ....I see now that yes you're right, it blends too well with the red... I will have to use a much darker brown or even Corvus Black (gee there is some wisdom to GW's colour schemes after all ! :laugh:)  and will be trying the brighter brassy/gold mix this weekend. 

Thanx for the feedback :thumbsup:

Cheers, M 

No problem.  Another thought, is that you could improve the contrast with both the trim and the leather if you went with a darker red as your main colour.  That would be a bigger change to the over all look of the model, and while I myself prefer a darker berzerker, it is understandable that may not be what you want.

Oh, and I can picture how your current leather colour would look really nice with white, so it makes sense it looked good on your scars.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

On 9/1/2023 at 12:53 AM, Mumeishi said:

I will have to use a much darker brown or even Corvus Black

Wyldwood all day for me.

Another trick I use for 'blue blacks' is thinnish coat of Incubi Darkness over Grey Seer or Wraithbone and then use Basilicanum Grey contrast as essentially a 'shading grey' all over that. Bit of Nuln Oil and maybe some selective shading/feathering with Abaddon Black and you'll get something that reads pretty dang black, but has nice blue/white highlights coming through from underneath for way less time than you'd spend individually edge highlighting everything.

For extra points you CAN do some edge highliting on the Incubi darkness if you want any high 'pops' of near-white. I use Army Painter Titanium for that to keep some blue tone in the highlights. For stuff that's small like strapping though, I just try to keep the Incubi Darkness thinner at the edges. Underpainting the highlights like that is just soooo much more forgiving than trying to highlight directly up from Abaddon Black or whatever. I'll caveat that with the fact that I've not used a proper 'contrast black' of any kind to date.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Test base for my Jakhal’s - 

I cut a circle out of the base (just leaving the Rim) and glued a Clear plastic 28mm circle to the bottom of the base and then half filled it with AK Still water then applied Jo Sonja's Clear crackle medium on top of that once dry and just washed it with Baharroth Blue and Dry brushed white and added some AK snow Effects to the rims 

Jakhals are cannon fodder anyway so I thought it appropriate that the World eaters would send them across the Ice whilst they ran along the rocky parts  :laugh:

IMG_8726.thumb.jpeg.f42d6d4c37d7992cc6f0ae8abdbc5014.jpeg

cheers, M

Edited by Mumeishi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No unfortunately... when I put something together it stays that way...:tongue:...

I decided I'm just going to paint him slowly & Neatly over the Christmas holidays, it'll be like a meditation project, at the end I'll have achieved a Zen state :sweat: 

and have a nice Jugger lord to boot !!  

at least it's not a unit of 5 or something.... :laugh:

Cheers, M 

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well the Juggernaut lord is upset cause I got Angron for Christmas, so.... Running off the path to Chase Butterflies resumes and now I'm working on Angron :facepalm:....:laugh:

IMG_9340.thumb.jpeg.52ddcf1cc5952dbc71fa715c6264990b.jpeg

Copied @Guiltysparc method of subassembly, it should help to paint him easier...

IMG_9351.thumb.jpeg.96486952f9e1901002e556b59896c525.jpeg

Shoulder pads and chestplate done...

IMG_9347.thumb.jpeg.9571b2f2ed190d2dda832b2930bb95fe.jpeg

close up of Shoulderpad,  my white undercoat was near the bottom of the can so it may have gotten just a smidge too grainy in some parts up close but not noticeable at a distance, never had this effect before so a tad bit disappointing, especially on Angron :confused: full cans from now on for models, I'll save the 3/4 empty cans for terrain etc  

IMG_9355.thumb.jpeg.29af4b983af230901e60ee33299d1391.jpeg

Working on his armour on his body (I will be painting Angron with pale white skin instead of red)  Planning on painting Angron to look like he's just transformed from 30K Angron straight to Daemon Primarch... so red leather etc just like his old armour, I plan on trying to do the red Tattoo/Markings on his head as well... 

Cheers, M 

Edited by MithrilForge
added pics