Warhammer+ Price increase

IMO they made a big mistake making the listbuilder no longer free before even the marine codex dropped; its not an effective (from their pov) trial otherwise

Of course not making it stay free was a bigger mistake, feels like that was a long preplanned/beancounter decision and or theyre scrabbling for benefits for warhammer +

They should make 1£/month/codex sub for full army rules support (and core rules just free). Most people I know play with no more than 3-4 armies per edition, so I guess price would be bearable for them (I would pay it to have updated rules). From the GW perspective it would be good as well - 3 years long edition would mean 36£ per army player, which is way more they get for the codex with lower cost on their side (no printing, storage, delivery). They could spend this money on making the rules better and invest in playtesting/app development

It seems to me that there is a lot of over reaction to this on here. It's not gone up at all if you pay the yearly subscription. If they continue to do the 'free' model and a £10 voucher It's still a good deal. When everything else is going up, it was a surprise that the annual price had stayed the same, so I give them credit for that.

It's obvious why GW have done this. They are trying to get people to pay the yearly subscription instead of paying for a month, watching what they want, then cancelling. It's simple business sense.

Yes, I do want content added to it more regularly than it has been recently and i hope things pick up in that regard. But a yearly subscription is hardly a bad deal, especially as you'll get all the  Battle Forge content on the app for free.

This is a good move from a profit perspective if a bit short sighted. Once codex start dropping the cost to have the actual rules of the game may just keep going up. 

I feel like I am being asked to buy half baked marketing material on drip feed.  Let's hope a third party keeps Warhammer list building fun accessable and affordable. 

Whilst I do actually watch they stuff on there (quite liked the latest angels of death, animation felt higher quality than the main series), I totally understand many people feeling its not worth the sub.

For me, so long as I get at least some things to watch each month, and I get a model and a voucher and access to the app, it's reasonable enough for me to stick with it.

Hell, the version of netflix I need these days is 15 quid a month, and half the shows on it suck, I dropped it for months and havent missed it tbh, but the kids want it back.

So,... I've had the annual subscription since near the beginning.

I've got the assassin from year 1 and both the terminator and sorcerer from year 2  - these are all still in their boxes as I've yet to do anything with them.

I've read maybe 3-4 things from the archive

I've watched a battle report and possibly a couple of painting videos.

I have downloaded but not watched a load of stuff. I really should make the effort.

I did use the vouchers as I had them - I'd have likely bought the things at a discount elsewhere though.

For me, I wont be affected by the price increase, if the model is available separately or is just not a thing it probably isn't worth the subscription anymore.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:36 AM, Crimson Longinus said:

The app is nice, but I'm not gonna pay for it. Especially now that the points have been turned into power levels, the math is so simple that no app is really needed. 

I strongly suspect the static point cost won’t last as Codexes are released. At which point there will be much rejoices by some and gnashing of teeth by others. 

So, I won't be able to just use the codex code on the app because I need a sub now? I thought the sub was just for the list builder function? 

Edit- I would not be opposed to such a sub if I didn't need to buy dead tree codexes. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

6 minutes ago, MegaVolt87 said:

So, I won't be able to just use the codex code on the app because I need a sub now? I thought the sub was just for the list builder function? 

Edit- I would not be opposed to such a sub if I didn't need to buy dead tree codexes. 

U would need codex for codex code and warhammer +:yes:

Its a stupid system:laugh:

Thankfully battlescribe should be updated at some point:smile:

Edited by Emperor Ming

11 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

U would need codex for codex code and warhammer +:yes:

Its a stupid system:laugh:

Thankfully battlescribe should be updated at some point:smile:

I have used the app before with a codex code, I liked it actually. What I am confused with is if I now need to sub to use the digital codex from the code in the dead tree version going fowards. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

7 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

I have used the app before with a codex code, I liked it actually. What I am confused with is if I now need to sub to use the digital codex from the code in the dead tree version going fowards. 

Yes, you have to pay to use the code you paid to get. That's GW for ya.

5 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Yes, you have to pay to use the code you paid to get. That's GW for ya.

Any source for this? That's not how it used to work, and its not what the article says.

There will still be a free and a paid portion of the app for Combat Patrol and Indexs, so putting in your Codex code to unlock it seems like a reasonable assumption.

1 hour ago, DemonGSides said:

The Codex code provides you access to the codex digitally, just as before.  The list builder feature is what's locked behind a WH+ subscription, nothing more from the app will be part of the WH+ subscription (At least as mentioned so far).

Which, the list builder, is the core feature of the, well, list building app. Which is paid for. You cannot build a Space Marine army with your Space Marine Codex code for free.

QED.

1 hour ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Which, the list builder, is the core feature of the, well, list building app. Which is paid for. You cannot build a Space Marine army with your Space Marine Codex code for free.

They're different features that happen to share the same app (which is called Warhammer 4000 The App, not "the 40K List Builder App"). Sure, the list builder function is locked behind a Warhammer+ sub as you say, but the other half (being the faction rules in digital format) is unaffected by that.

Not being subbed to Warhammer+ does not stop you from referencing the Codex rules you unlocked with the code in your physical book. You can carry on using Battlescribe / Excel / Pen & Paper along with your Codex just as you did before, with the added bonus of being able to reference the rules on your phone if you find that useful.