Sons of Horus Weapon Upgrades

Most geniunely exciting resin thing in a while for me, its good to see them adding geniunely flavorful legion-specific things! Hope we get more stuff like this for Legion Wargear (you know which legions have alot of wargear rules? IW, IH, Sallies, WE and RG!)!

Actually, a Cadere Weapon kit would be a dream for the WE, alot of them are annoying to Proxy and buying a ton of Rampagers to cannibalize sucks lol.

Itd be a nice sign if i thought they would do this for everyone but its not very likely is it? 

Its a nice selection of weapons for upgrading vets and the like, but it is weird how they are trying to change the look of Banestrike bolters (Its just an ammo switchup) and Carsoran axes (Like the Justaerin use) long after release. 

Im also mostly excited for the arms and one handed bolters if im honest :P 

3 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

These are cool, I like that they're trying to add flavor. That being said it's going to be pretty irritating if SoH/IF are the only ones to get these

Cue most of us going in 2028: "Sure 'X' is cool, but we're still waiting on melee upgrades for Raven Guard/Salamanders/Iron Hands/Iron Warriors!" 

You know, because history repeats.

2 minutes ago, Hungry Nostraman Lizard said:

Cue most of us going in 2028: "Sure 'X' is cool, but we're still waiting on melee upgrades for Raven Guard/Salamanders/Iron Hands/Iron Warriors!" 

You know, because history repeats.

At this rate Grandkids will get the first FAQ.

1 minute ago, ChargingSoll said:

Heresy Thursday forever

With epic and if they do more weapon upgrades kits then I'll be happy. 

Apart from praetors and characters what do people want for their legions.

The problem I think is that the gap is getting wider with time and not closer between the haves and have-nots with the legions.

Prior to last year, it was just dreadnoughts, praetors, units, and characters that you had to worry about getting across the board.

Now it's dreadnoughts (if they ever finish the legion-specific leviathans, which I'm starting to doubt), praetors, characters, special units, tank commanders, weapon upgrades, and the list goes on. FW is literally making the job harder to fill out the remaining legions themselves and there really isn't a sign that they intend to with releases, especially if the rumors are true and SoH/IF are getting another book, I'm assuming the next upgrade pack will be IF, and then the focus moves on to the new mystery army and fleshing out MKVI (supposedly)

I'm torn on this.

From a design perspective, I love it. Specifically the Banestrike bolters (I'm assuming one of them is for a Terminator model as the hand is significantly bigger than the others) with the chains and tokens, very nice. I can see a number of people not liking the axe blades, but I really enjoy them. 

But as Hungry Nostraman Lizard has already mentioned, these upgrades will live and die by the price point. Assuming that one of the Banestrike bolters is for a Terminator model, that's 5 Power Armoured ones in the set, and are you really going to be limiting yourself to a 5 man squad? If we take a look at other Legion-centric weapon upgrade packs (Night Lords chainglaives and Emperors Children Phoenix spears) alongside the recent Despoiler upgrades - we're in £19.50 price range. 

Plus, if we're carrying on with legion-centric weapon upgrades (because the other Legion weapon packs were before 2.0), then we're setting a precedent that other Legions will also be getting this treatment. And it doesn't take a genius to assume that Imperial Fists will be next in line. Some Legions are still waiting on things like Praetor models, it would be great if we could get a common baseline across the range.

13 minutes ago, ChargingSoll said:

Heresy Thursday forever

With epic and if they do more weapon upgrades kits then I'll be happy. 

Apart from praetors and characters what do people want for their legions.

Not a WE player but I think if GW is going down this route then Cadere would be a big seller and the most obvious.

Because even with FW prices, a set of weapons would make life alot easier than shelling out for a full squad when all you really want is the arms everything else uses for 40ish percent the price. You could outfit a squad of redhand for that off the top of my head. Its still expensive but at least its LESS expensive.

They could also stand to redo Phoenix spears because those things are a horrifically fragile kit even by resin standards.

I'd also say that custom Leviathan torsos would be nice (not as nice as a full model like a few lucky legions got, but its something). The basic one just doesnt fit the fancy legions imo and is the biggest reason I never got one, since I almost exclusively play fancy legions.

Edited by StrangerOrders

2 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

The problem I think is that the gap is getting wider with time and not closer between the haves and have-nots with the legions.

Prior to last year, it was just dreadnoughts, praetors, units, and characters that you had to worry about getting across the board.

Now it's dreadnoughts (if they ever finish the legion-specific leviathans, which I'm starting to doubt), praetors, characters, special units, tank commanders, weapon upgrades, and the list goes on. FW is literally making the job harder to fill out the remaining legions themselves and there really isn't a sign that they intend to with releases, especially if the rumors are true and SoH/IF are getting another book, I'm assuming the next upgrade pack will be IF, and then the focus moves on to the new mystery army and fleshing out MKVI (supposedly)

AT what point does mismanagement and lack of substantive updates count the game as Abandonware. I mean really 3rd Party have filled virtually any and all gaps, model or FAQ or otherwise, that GW/FW have created. I mean really, if we never received a HH 2.0 Rule Set and we just got the Resin to Plastic Vehicle Kits, I don't think anyone would have noticed a change in pace.

Someone on Twitter (I'm not calling it 'X') has pointed out that having a Terminator scale Power Axe is cool, but neither the plastic Cataphracti or the Tartaros kits have arms that are compatible with it - so either they're going on Justaerian, or you're having to buy an additional upgrade pack in order to get the correct Terminator arm...

:facepalm:

Just clip the hand off the power sword arm in the Tartaros kit, same with Cataphractii. I'd do that way before I went all the way to buying Justaerin just to use the axe.

That said, these are very cool. I'm very much looking forward to the Ist and XVIIth Legion upgrades.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

12 minutes ago, m_r_parker said:

Someone on Twitter (I'm not calling it 'X') has pointed out that having a Terminator scale Power Axe is cool, but neither the plastic Cataphracti or the Tartaros kits have arms that are compatible with it - so either they're going on Justaerian, or you're having to buy an additional upgrade pack in order to get the correct Terminator arm...

:facepalm:

Yeah, so there's the modeling side to this as well (which admittedly I'm more concerned with than anything). It's great that they're including multiple armor MKs and Terminator stuff in here. But

We don't have the base kits yet. Yes, you can use the MKIII/IV arms with the current kits, even though they don't match the current designs, but again, going back to priorities, they're putting out upgrades based on the new kits that aren't even out yet. Then comes the terminator discussion, which I kind of get because these are intended for SoH so Justaerin are in the ballpark, but again, you shouldn't be essentially forced to buy a specific kit to use the upgrades that you're already paying (assumably) a high price for, or buying another upgrade pack to use this upgrade pack with regular Terminators. Just weird choices

*you can also cut the old Terminators apart as someone else pointed out, but still, it's "cut this other kit apart to use this kit that we're selling you"

Edited by darkhorse0607

*inhales*

Dammit FW.

I like the sculpts, hell I hope someone copies the Banestrike bolters and puts them up as an STL because those would work well for Seekers etc. But this is getting bloody stupid

One issue I have tough is that alot of those bolters don't work with existing arms for the MKVI kit ( and likely with the upcoming MKIII aswell ) . Bit weird

Edited by Brother Tyler
Profanity removed

4 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

How are these even SoH-specific? When I think of XVIth Axes, I picture the Catulan Reaver or Justaerin-type weaponry, not… this. Very odd…

The traditional justaerin axes definitely look like tabars (albeit the head only since cursory googling shows that historical example are very long hafted) so they made these for use as tabars I expect. That's the "new thing" of SoH 2.0.