Dark Angels Refresh Rumours

Well this is exciting stuff. Really interested to see how Asmodai turns out, I feel like the newer model was a big down grade from the older metal model so I hope they are more inspired by the old look. I previous didn't plan to rebuild my old Deathwing with new models but if we are getting new DW units I might have to go back on that. I thought GW executed the Black Templar refresh in terms on models so I'm hoping this goes the same way.

18 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

No one is proposing anything.

I mentioned that a notable YT channel has predicted that GW might cut some named characters from the Marine codex.

If true, the only positive that can come from this would be a more streamlined and better balanced Astartes range. The negative of course is losing these themed heroes.

I merely pointed out that in my opinion the sweet spot for the various chapters would be having 2-4 unique heroes/models, and that they should be more evenly spread out amongst the chapters.

Oh apologies, I presumed that when you said "I would be OK with this, as long as GW cut back on the other chapters in the same way" you would be OK with GW cutting characters from the Ultramarines and other chapters in the same way. Obviously I was mistaken.

Any character that gets cut will just be released at a later date. They aren't struck from the cannon they just don't have models available for purchase. GW likely deliberately holding them back so they have stuff to push out in slow times and as campaign features. Now I would be very dissapointed to see GW invent something as cool as the Risen and not make a kit for them but I wouldn't exactly be surprised either. You really couldn't ask for a cooler retinue for the Lion.

5 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Why would you want the Space Wolves to lose their coolest mini?!

Ehrrmm, excuse me? 

Space Wolves were my first army when I started 40k. Santa's sleigh and the wulfen sculps are high-tier meme stuffs for causing SWs to be considered comic relief "furry's" and I've been over it since they came out.

I can't fathom the looks of embarrassment Russ will have on his face once he returns :facepalm:

Sorry to those who commented Ulrik is the coolest.. while he's cool, he's go nothing on Arjac, or even Bjorn since he got his updated plastic kit. I'm certainly excited for the prospect of a new Arjac model. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

1 minute ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Sorry to those who commented Ulrik is the coolest.. while he's cool, he's go nothing on Arjac, or even Bjorn since he got his updated plastic kit. I'm certainly excited for the prospect of a new Arjac model. 

oooh, they could finally make him "mountain of a man" with these new, bigger termies

1 hour ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Ehrrmm, excuse me? 

Space Wolves were my first army when I started 40k. Santa's sleigh and the wulfen sculps are high-tier meme stuffs for causing SWs to be considered comic relief "fluffies" and I've been over it since they came out.

I can't fathom the looks of embarrassment Russ will have on his face once he returns :facepalm:

I think the sleigh is super cool.

It wasn't Logan Grimnar's sleigh that made Space Wolves a joke; it was GW's insistence that everything have Wolf in the name.  If Wulfen weren't the last in line after a littany of "Wolfman Wolfsson" and "Ice Wolf Hunter", they'd actually have a really cool name and existence as the only real ab-transhumans.  It's not because Wulfen look different that they are lambasted, it's the fact that their name is groan worthy after 20 years of groan worthy names (And now also their rules kinda blow).

No one beats up Blood Angels and Dark Angels, not because their sculpts are so much better (In fact, I think DA get kinda the short stick as their sculpts are just "Space marines with robes"), but because the lore and writing around them is competent, whereas SW have left to languish as "Not quite Vikings, not quite Werewolves, but everyone's named Wolfy McWolf-face" which is SUPER meme-worthy.

Bespoke battle chariot drawn by mutated wolf(people) is a sick concept.  The rest of the Space Wolves line is... a little less "cool", despite having some really cool iconography/bits potential (I will never not love an animal pelt draped across power armor.  My boy Sanguinius even got in on that fashion!).  If they could develop even the smallest amount of more lore for what the SW currently are, I think you'd lose a lot of the japes around the names.

It's alright to think that the sleigh is cool, taste is subjective (except for Primaris vehicles, those are objectively bad FIGHT ME I HAVE BUTCHERS NAILS), but the sleigh is absolutely part of the reason that SW are kind of a meme. A grav-sleigh pulled by literal wolves (yeah I know they're technically mutant humans, blah blah they look exactly like wolves) from SPEHSS is unintentionally comedic. The fact that the sleigh is also a stumpy Viking longboat with little sci-fi jets only adds to the slapstick comedy aspect.

Edited by Rain

17 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

I think the sleigh is super cool.

It wasn't Logan Grimnar's sleigh that made Space Wolves a joke; it was GW's insistence that everything have Wolf in the name.  If Wulfen weren't the last in line after a littany of "Wolfman Wolfsson" and "Ice Wolf Hunter", they'd actually have a really cool name and existence as the only real ab-transhumans.  It's not because Wulfen look different that they are lambasted, it's the fact that their name is groan worthy after 20 years of groan worthy names (And now also their rules kinda blow).

No one beats up Blood Angels and Dark Angels, not because their sculpts are so much better (In fact, I think DA get kinda the short stick as their sculpts are just "Space marines with robes"), but because the lore and writing around them is competent, whereas SW have left to languish as "Not quite Vikings, not quite Werewolves, but everyone's named Wolfy McWolf-face" which is SUPER meme-worthy.

Bespoke battle chariot drawn by mutated wolf(people) is a sick concept.  The rest of the Space Wolves line is... a little less "cool", despite having some really cool iconography/bits potential (I will never not love an animal pelt draped across power armor.  My boy Sanguinius even got in on that fashion!).  If they could develop even the smallest amount of more lore for what the SW currently are, I think you'd lose a lot of the japes around the names.

To be clear, I disagreed because I absolutely LOATHE Wuflen, wolf calvary, wolf sleigh, ect.  The SW meme may be what I hate most in 40k because of what SWs should be.

However, I think your comment about the writing of BA & DA compared to SWs is totally spot on.

32 minutes ago, Wispy said:

smells like faction trolling to me. probably should knock that off. 

Faction trolling.. for a faction I not only collect but started the hobby with? okee

32 minutes ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

Why DA? Why not the Imperial Fists? Bah, I say. Bah. 

Probably because DA have unique terminators/formations and it's only natural to update their now that we have new models... IF updates are for HH :laugh:

39 minutes ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

Why DA? Why not the Imperial Fists? Bah, I say. Bah. 

Because they are one of the Big Four that GW has always supported in the game, for coming up on like 30 years now?  (I realize your question was probably facetious, but people may really have those feelings)

BA, DA, and SW are likely to always get more support, just based on history, and are very often supported early in release cycles (heck, the DA were supported so early in one release cycle that their Codex for that Edition was already written for the next Edition before it even came out, from what anyone can tell).

That doesn’t mean that other First Foundings, or even other Foundings, shouldn’t get support, but GW is unlikely to do that in the face of almost 30 years of sales for a subfaction.  They know they have guaranteed sales for BA, DA, and SW, while the others would be a riskier proposition.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

7 hours ago, Chaplain Killmer said:

The new Deathwing is especially cheeky as it was only yesterday that GW included the old ones in a boxed set with the new Azrael.

I’ve been reading the GW playbook for almost 35 years.  As soon I opened the Wrath of the Soulforge King box I put those DW models on EBay!

NO EZEKIEL!!!!!!

"WHAT IN THE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS IS GOING ON HERE!??!?"

If they don't do a primaris Ezekiel, thats it! I'm selling off my BA and DA collection for $100 each and getting into collecting Playmobil figs!

1 hour ago, crimsondave said:

I’ve been reading the GW playbook for almost 35 years.  As soon I opened the Wrath of the Soulforge King box I put those DW models on EBay!

Ditto. 

GW loves to clear out old inventory when they're getting a newer kit by putting them in boxed sets, etc. I still swear they made firstborn assault marines so good in 10th in order  to sell off old remaining inventory!

I have a bit of worry about what kind of pose they would do with a upscaled Ezekiel - I feel like his pose is so classic (it is highly reminiscent of / he’s standing in hassō) that changing it too much might lose some of that flair/charm the figure has.  We also don’t get near enough two-handed sword poses.  Really hope they do the mini justice when they do upscale him.

5 minutes ago, Bryan Blaire said:

I have a bit of worry about what kind of pose they would do with a upscaled Ezekiel - I feel like his pose is so classic (it is highly reminiscent of / he’s standing in hassō) that changing it too much might lose some of that flair/charm the figure has.  We also don’t get near enough two-handed sword poses.  Really hope they do the mini justice when they do upscale him.

Embiggened version of his current model thats all I want.

So... I know, everyone loves Space marines, and I'm a good Frater, who wants everyone to be happy, so I'll only whine once, and hopefully for the rest of you, anyone else who wants to whine along with me will just hit "like" instead and spare you all the Angst.

But after LI being confirmed as Heresy era, the Marines only Nova preview, and all the Heresy goodies, I'm feeling a bit Marined out. I do know that it won't last forever, and I apologize for being a hype-slayer. Feel free to return to celebration mode.

3 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Yep, when the 13th Company and original Wulfen showed up in 3rd edition (before the Wolf Train), it was one of the most awesome things to have happened in quite a while. 

image.png.54ef83b57c585bc931f309bc6782252f.png

7 minutes ago, jaxom said:

Yep, when the 13th Company and original Wulfen showed up in 3rd edition (before the Wolf Train), it was one of the most awesome things to have happened in quite a while. 

image.png.54ef83b57c585bc931f309bc6782252f.png

These were so awesome.. then we flash forward to the current Wulfen that are posed like two saiyans in half-monkey, attempting to do the “fusion” technique…

15 hours ago, Nephaston said:

Ravenwing gotta wait until phobos and gravis bikes are available, it seems.

Oh man, Gravis bikers would be pretty dangerous for me, might actually get roped into playing loyalists :biggrin: