Dark Angels Refresh Rumours

8 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

But after LI being confirmed as Heresy era, the Marines only Nova preview, and all the Heresy goodies, I'm feeling a bit Marined out. I do know that it won't last forever, and I apologize for being a hype-slayer. Feel free to return to celebration mode.

I was listening to a podcast by the Rest is History about Le Marquis de Sade last night, and suddenly want to see a bunch of Slaanesh and Dark Eldar releases for some reason. 

As for DA rumours... I presume quite a few of the codex releases will refresh the relevant combat patrol as well. With a few  upgrade sprues, would a good thematic DA one cover off raven guard through 5 terminators, 3 outriders, 5 hellblasters, and a phobos librarian? Or would it need a dread too?

Surprised at the idea of a specific box set for a force, as mentioend in Valrak's video. Is that normal for a faction range refresh?

Not knowing enough about Raven Wing, what is needed beyond access to outriders and storm speeders with DA bling and codex rules to make them RW? How did the old RW bikes compare to standard bikes?

5 minutes ago, Not An Ork said:

I was listening to a podcast by the Rest is History about Le Marquis de Sade last night, and suddenly want to see a bunch of Slaanesh and Dark Eldar releases for some reason. 

As for DA rumours... I presume quite a few of the codex releases will refresh the relevant combat patrol as well. With a few  upgrade sprues, would a good thematic DA one cover off raven guard through 5 terminators, 3 outriders, 5 hellblasters, and a phobos librarian? Or would it need a dread too?

Surprised at the idea of a specific box set for a force, as mentioend in Valrak's video. Is that normal for a faction range refresh?

Not knowing enough about Raven Wing, what is needed beyond access to outriders and storm speeders with DA bling and codex rules to make them RW? How did the old RW bikes compare to standard bikes?

While not normal for a range refresh, it would slot in with the likes of the other chapter battleforces we got like the salamanders one, the white scars etc etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the Blood Angels and SW get boxes lime that once their codex drops.

42 minutes ago, Not An Ork said:

If you take a look back over the past year, across 40K and AoS (technically off topic for the forum, but relevant to the conversation):

> Cities of Sigmar

> Seraphon (aka Lizardmen)

> Astra Militarum / Cadia Stands

> Slaves to Darkness

Basically, yeah - you get a decent amount of models as part of a Army Refresh / New Releases, you get a pre-release box set where you can get the new Codex / Battletome and miniatures about 6 weeks before the main drop.

A Terminator force doesn’t surprise me, up until recently the DA 1st Company was entirely Terminator. I’m really interested to see sprues (I’m putting aside my usual cynicism for some optimism)

My minimum expectation was new Terminators and 1–2 characters. Looks like we’ll get a little more than that but not a Black Templars-sized refresh.

I do think robed sergeants do a whole lot to make Dark Angels units stand out. I was hoping we’d get something similar to the old veteran box in Primaris scale.

3 hours ago, m_r_parker said:

If you take a look back over the past year, across 40K and AoS (technically off topic for the forum, but relevant to the conversation):

> Cities of Sigmar

> Seraphon (aka Lizardmen)

> Astra Militarum / Cadia Stands

> Slaves to Darkness

Basically, yeah - you get a decent amount of models as part of a Army Refresh / New Releases, you get a pre-release box set where you can get the new Codex / Battletome and miniatures about 6 weeks before the main drop.

A Terminator force doesn’t surprise me, up until recently the DA 1st Company was entirely Terminator. I’m really interested to see sprues (I’m putting aside my usual cynicism for some optimism)

It's been the standard operating procedure since ~2019 with the release of the SIsters of Battle https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/11/sisters-of-battle-army-set-unboxinggw-homepage-post-1/, Leagues of Votann, the ones @m_r_parker mentioned, etc.

I really want to want new DA stuff but I've already invested so much into my current collection already that I'm loathe to completely squat them by replacing everything as Primaris/bigger versions for by DW/RW. Not to mention I'm already drowning under my pile of shame that I'm reluctant to add more to it.

I mean, I probably will over time but I'm not going to have FOMO or desperately need to do it from day one.

Same here, I absolutely love the new TDA, they're gorgeous and I'm sure these new ones will be too; but they're all too much too big and my OG Deathwing are far too many and far too converted to replace.

I'll go with maybe over time. But more likely a different Chapter if ever.

Will be awesome to see pics of people's work though. 

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

I'm on board with new Deathwing knights and a character or two. A storm speeder with some jury rigged dark ages tech and Black Knight outriders would have been cool though. 

I'm on board with new Deathwing knights and a character or two. A storm speeder with some jury rigged dark ages tech and Black Knight outriders would have been cool though. 

my fear with a new deathwing kit is that we will lose access to some weapons to offer incentives to buy regular terminator squads over DWT's. one such idea may be to strip out the assault cannon and heavy flamer and chainfist. pidgeon holing you into a fixed loadout of th/ss pf/sb 1 cml/PC in 5, something like that and kicking us back to forced sgt PS/SB loadouts like in 6th edition which was just dreadful for the useful applications of deathwing terminator squads. and the deathwing command squad more or less going down that route. halberd, apothecary, ancient, and then 1 heavy weapons guy, and 1 PS/SB sgt would be SOOO games workshop.  monobuild every box, then sell you the solution next edition or just never bring it up again as a way of crushing kitbashing and 3rd party gear.

im all for new deathwing knights but they really arent that old, why not just do a range refresh on the HQ's themselves, sammael out of failcast, belial and asmodai out of their failcast, and ezekiel, EZEKIEL out of pewter. big zeke is the last peweter model, he has priority over any failcast model period. and yet the rumors suggest belial and asmodai? look i get it, immodium and beergut are our two worst hq's ruleswise, but making them primaris without doing major wargear overhauls wont fix them. you would need to move belial into a power sword/storm shield variant to make him relevant, or maybe an eviscerator and storm shield, something that can crack armor and that lets him block strikes, or move him to entirely new weapons such as LCS or TH/SS maybe with a CML. id buy a CML belial for a dollar sure

asmodai is DOA. theres no "saving" him model wise, the blades of reason are beyond saving, you would need to fundamentally throw away his one whole relic gimmick, and in so doing make asmodai no longer asmodai. youd be better off replacing him with sapphon at that point, and giving him a primaris glow up with new wepaons instead, im a big fan of a crozius and plasma pistol gimmick for him on a jump pack. or maybe something to make idk more well wholesome. he wants to brawl but cant get there, if he does get there he hits like a pool noodle. asmodai needs to just be thrown under the bus and a fresh go again.

ezekiel is the biggest slam dunk of your life, and his still METAL, hes the LAST metal model in the ENTIRE IMPERIUM and possibly all of 40k in general. its time to replace him. you jsut primaris him, primaris his statline and move on, its the simplest slam dunk of GW's life. keeping him around for another year is too long.

8 minutes ago, aura_enchanted said:

you jsut primaris him, primaris his statline and move on

Not calling you out @aura_enchanted, it's just you mentioned something that has slightly irked me over the past two editions.

Isn't the Rubicon Primaris supposed to be dangerous? At the beginning of 8th it was heralded as something of great reward, but inherently risky at the same time. Now it seems to be an obvious slam-dunk, they get their extra organs and off they go. Has there been a character that attempted to cross the Rubicon and ended up dead in the process? I would hate to see Ezekiel or any of the other Dark Angel characters get killed off this way (obvious bias), and obviously killing off a character with a model makes no business sense, but I just find it very weird.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:20 AM, Not An Ork said:

Historical Love Island Dual Box? :biggrin:

12 hours ago, m_r_parker said:

Isn't the Rubicon Primaris supposed to be dangerous? At the beginning of 8th it was heralded as something of great reward, but inherently risky at the same time. Now it seems to be an obvious slam-dunk, they get their extra organs and off they go. Has there been a character that attempted to cross the Rubicon and ended up dead in the process?

When first introduced it only had a success rate of about 60% which is why it was only applied selectively. Now it is much safer as they have refined the process. By "Godblight" the novel has a character crossing the Rubicon electively and it is treated as routine.

9 hours ago, Karhedron said:

When first introduced it only had a success rate of about 60% which is why it was only applied selectively. Now it is much safer as they have refined the process. By "Godblight" the novel has a character crossing the Rubicon electively and it is treated as routine.

8 hours ago, davextreme said:

It’s really a case of them not letting a small bit of lore from one novel get in the way of being able to sell models. 

To say nothing of backtracking a 200 year time skip and reversing direction on the idea that players would be okay with replacing special characters who have been kicking around for decades. I would have loved to have a clean slate and let Asmodai go out like a boss choking a Fallen to death by shoving the broken remains of his crozius arcanum down a Fallen's throat as Asmodai bleeds out from where his chest met a plasma pistol blast.

6 hours ago, Borbarad said:

and more afraid what they might lose. 

For the most part, I expect updated and only slightly revamped versions of what currently exists. The only thing that will most likely not survive is any "not-in-box" options.

14 hours ago, Borbarad said:

Honesty at this point I’m less curious what the Dark Angels will get and more afraid what they might lose. 

To be honest I wouldn't really be sad to see the back of the Darkshroud/Vengeance or the Nephilim/Dark Talon. The Vengeance was a shame since in some ways I think it improved on the regular Land Speeder design but then the whole thing is ruined by the big pulpit on the nose. Even as someone whole can enjoy the sillier aspects of 40k sometimes I couldn't get behind it. The Nephilim is no doubt the best flyer based on the Stormtalon design but it's still, sadly, based on the Stormtalon.

The Revenwing Black Knights could be a real loss though, hopefully they won't be going anywhere. Company Veterans too will hopefully stick around or get an updated kit if we're lucky.

6 hours ago, Dagoth Ur said:

A refresh is an update to a preexisting design. How would updated deathwing kits *not* constitute a refresh?

Cuase I'm being cheeky. Anyway it seems like a speculative rumour to me. New terminators so they must be doing new Deathwing only the problem with that is they won't fit in the new sprue layouts at the new scale in two sprues. We haven't even seen an assault terminator kit yet and the Deathwing requires parts from both plus a plasma cannon and standard bearer and apothecary terminator and a champion. So we are looking at a Dark Angels upgrades set with terminator parts or a really expensive box set or possibly a Kill Team.

It seems very unlikely it will be a dual kit the same as it was as the bigger terminators and 2 part power fists mean its gonna hit 4 sprue territory without sacrificing things. Be interesting to see how they handle it without disappointment that's for sure.