Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

3 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

@LameBeard if you are looking for a potential 'fallback' game system beyond Legions, if you want to keep all of the 30k-era specific unit your options are 30k Armageddon or Imperialis Dominatus, which is a more recent spin on NetEpic by the guys that helped develop that system.

I would say both are easier rules systems to learn than LI and faster to play. Armageddon in particular has a big tournament scene and very codified army lists, to the point that 30k lists are still not tournament-legal at time of writing (apparently that is coming soon).

Imperialis Dominatus also suffers from having tons of having about 10 types of Dreadnought and every unit designation (which is a good or bad thing depending on what you want).

If you aren't too fussed about using Deredeo Dreadnoughts as Deredeo Dreadnoughts you could use base NetEpic or Epic SM 2nd. That's where I think all of my Legions stuff will go ultimately - it's more fun, faster to play, has Aliens, better Titan combat rules.

Also totally agree with you about the weapon options thing.

The argument against this is people saying the game becomes stale with one weapons loadout, but this has never been a problem with other Epic games systems that don't offer this, and they need to think of the ageing eyesight of the people they aimed this game at! :biggrin:

Imperialis Dominatus has 100 pages of Legion Astartes Army List, and multiple special rules filling nearly a page for each Legion! I thought the GW legion-specific rules were a bit hit and miss, but at least there were some hits! So Imperialis Dominatus seems to be in the same boat and probably not for me: it’s designed for people who play frequently.  I’ll look at Armageddon 30k next.

The first 60 or so tanks of Selen II's 4th Home Army are getting their gear in order to head towards the painting dock... radio aerials get attached after basecoats.

1190663_sm-.jpg

Yes, I will be converting pretty much every one of the upcoming hundreds of vehicles to be at least somewhat unique. Business as usual :D

On 4/22/2024 at 9:59 AM, Pacific81 said:

Just a quick update and photo as I am desperately trying to get 2k pts ready for an event in a few weeks, but still have ended up doing stuff I didn't really need to do (ahead of stuff I must do!)

20240419_153706.JPG

20240419_153637.JPG

20240419_160818.JPG

Somebody please tell him off for the insane detail on those mark 2 shoulder pad rims: highlighted rivets!?

Edited by LameBeard

11 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

I'm quite sad (and because I don't know whether I am coming or going) I made up a 'shopping list' of things I need to finish for a 2k event that I'm taking part in next month. Almost there!

20240424_081030.JPG

Me too, unfortunately from the list only Slaughter is available here. And it's 25% more if I buy it alone (no free postage).

Screenshot_20240425_082157_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.4bcb2246496b1092c9b44c0dfed5d021.jpg

Posted (edited)

Finished off my final infantry formation for my Night Lords force, which is drop pods with tactical units. Obviously no official Dreadclaw minis available yet, but I thought they suited the character of the NL a bit better, and these ones weren't priced like a steel toecapped boot to the nuts.

I copied some colour from pictures of a (real life) Soyuz space capsule for how things look when they have been through an atmosphere and absorbed all of that heat, but of course most of it is underneath so you can't see it well :geek:

DropPods1.webp

All standard marines from the Astartes boxset, a couple of Vanguard guys sprinkled in for some variety

DropPods2.webp

The Command squad I added a few Vanguard guys to also

DropPods3.webp

Almost there now! Just five more Sicaran tanks to customise and then paint, and then that is my 2k army finished. My eyes are going to be thankful this is almost over! 

Edited by Pacific81

Posted (edited)

I am not sure that it is a definite that we will @Sete? I can see a 'Primarchs' expansion with perhaps a signature unit or two, but all of that stuff will need to be tooled up in plastic - unless of course they give some to ForgeWorld and we end up with a hilariously expensive 1cm tall Primarch mini.. What we do know is that there won't be rules without a miniature, so that could ultimately be the big limiting factor for this game - a lot of the world could end up being unexplored in this scale, if you want to play Legions Imperialis. 

I have finished off a unit of Sicarans. Added a few extra bits to make them look more Night Lord-y (corpses and head poles stuck on the side etc.) The colour scheme for the corpses is the same as the Penal unit that accompanies the army as a small allied force :smile:

PS - massive nerd-points/cookies to anyone that can spot the RTB-01 component I snuck in here.. 

NLSicaran1.webp

NLSicaran2.webp

NLSicaran3.webp

NLSicaran4.webp

Edited by Pacific81

I really like the dreadclaws, they look better than the pods I've seen with all the doors closed, the plastic ones with doors open look great but seem like a huge headache. Similar files with open doors seem like a equal headache, but the claws are great, they don't take up any more space than an open pod, and los wise u can sorta see under them so fulfils the same role as seeing through a pods for the most part. I'd love to see an army shot of all your nightlords so far pacific. 

3 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

PS - massive nerd-points/cookies to anyone that can spot the RTB-01 component I snuck in here.. 

NLSicaran1.webp

I think I've seen it! I'll give the others a chance ... now I need to think if I have any RTB bits ...

It is done! Have finally finished my 2k force of Night Lords with accompanying 'Penal unit' Auxiliaries

I put a little thread in the painting section, hopefully a few more might see it there and be encourage to give Epic a go (or at least, be made aware of its existence!) rather than for just us Morlocks in the depths of the forums :biggrin:

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/382825-epiclegions-imperialis-night-lords-of-the-heresy-19th-claw-the-shadows-hunger/#comment-6038000

NLArmy1_fin.webp

NLArmy2_fin.webp

NLArmy3_fin2.webp

On 5/5/2024 at 11:59 AM, Sete said:

Quick one to ask you guys, does anyone have Heresy Dark Angels wings heraldy?

How do you mean? Do you want us to post reference artwork? Or are you looking for decals? 

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I am aware of sorry @Sete - have you tried any of the Age of Darkness 28mm Heresy books? (Maybe even the v1 edition ones?) But someone who has the books would know for sure.

@Sherrypie those just look gorgeous!

So have had a bit of an Epic break and just lining up the next project. A good friend of mine has always wanted a pre-heresy Death Guard army. He would have preferred 28mm, but I don't have £1000 and 5 years to spare so he is getting Epic instead :biggrin:

Don't normally do WIPs but just starting on these guys. I am using these MK3 prints and will accompany them with Legions Imperialis Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts, also Solar artillery and Baneblades painted in Legion colours. They will be multi system use but primarily Epic Space Marine/NetEpic which is his favourite version.

20240517_110156.JPG

Got my dreadnought drop pods this morning and just built one. A much better and more sensible breakdown of parts and easy to build quickly. It’s a chunky little fella, I love it!

I wish they’d have followed the same kind of thinking with the normal drop pods. Who knows, they might even have been able to get another pod on the sprue.