Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

13 hours ago, son of the forest said:

I'm still struggling for a scheme for my auxila, thinking of going with the inwit phalgites, but not sure what contrast paint would work for the khaki scheme

I don't have a link right now, but there's a really great picture reference with all the contrast paints on textured bases. Either way, Skeleton Horde or Aggaros Dunes seem like the place to start - I'm not sure what the equivalents are in other lines.

Got some more things painted this week. Decided to stick with the lighter scheme. Starting to look like an army! Love the Leviathan kit and looking forward to the Proteus now. 

Also finally got to play a game of LI. Well sort of, as I don’t have any infantry painted and my mate has no LI, we played a game of Titandeath. Probably not the ideal first game format but we got into it by turn two, it certainly lives up to the name! Lots of titans going boom. There are so many special rules that we were constantly cross checking, so it took the fun away a bit but that could be down to the titan class weapons.

We did enjoy the alt activation as usual as you’re always engaged (I often space out and lose interest during long opponent turns in 40K…) Once you have the bulk of the special rules memorised, I can imagine it being fast to play.

Overall we enjoyed it but it wasn’t the instant ‘wow, I love it’ we got from the first game of AT but it also wasn’t the ‘Urg, this is terrible’ we got from our game of AI.

IMG_4705.jpeg

IMG_4708.jpeg

IMG_4706.jpeg

It's a start I guess...

20240331_101219.thumb.jpg.4ff25db62608e243bbdaa0c2349409ab.jpg

Will look at getting a transfer onto that banner.

Hey, a quick question for the hive mind: Slaughter and Infantry boxes are still not available here yet so I'm running on Battlescribe for now.

I need an Aerial Assault Formation, a Drop Pod Assault Formation, a Sky Hunter Phalanx, and a Garrison Force in order to field the 3k point List I have planned; is my maths correct for minimum Tactical squad bases?:

AA needs 8

DP needs 8

SH none

GF needs 4

Can't over spend once things get better at the supply end.

TIA

Thanks for the check Warrior!

So, I'll need another Infantry box and  use 4 Mk2 Tactical stands (I had printed ages ago for AT basing material) as the Garrison lads.

20240331_143450.thumb.jpg.1535efa0b12be3f480259a0dc763c191.jpg

Great weekend progress, sprue completed!

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

Love those guys @Interrogator Stobz, that's some very neat banner work and detailing on them. 

I've finished a Thunderhawk and some accompanying passengers. Got a forthcoming event and nothing like a deadline to force you to get your arse into gear with painting stuff! 

Weedy official base is being replaced (have got a larger Kromlech one on its way) so have blanked that out from the photos

Thawk1.webp

Thawk2.webp

Thawk3.webp

On 4/3/2024 at 2:49 AM, apologist said:

Looking awesome, @Pacific81. Not as far along as your VIII Thunderhawk, but my Salamanders' one is on the blocks, along with a load of armour. 

IMG_1387.jpeg

How in the name of sweet baby jeebus did you paint those sweet tiny shoulder icons Brother?

On 4/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, Pacific81 said:

Those look lovely @apologist ! Especially the tiny flame detailing. And a spot on shade of green.

Are you attending the Advancing Fire event in Cheltenham in May?

Ta! Afraid I can’t make May – have been merrily cashing in Brownie points recently and need to start saving up again

On 4/6/2024 at 1:05 AM, Interrogator Stobz said:

How in the name of sweet baby jeebus did you paint those sweet tiny shoulder icons Brother?

They’re really just a few little lines. Up close I don’t think they’d pass muster with Vulkan, but at the scale we’re talking, you can rely a lot on what the viewer is expecting to see.

+++

Got back from an event – three games in one day. Lotsa fun!

IMG_1421.thumb.jpeg.ea8d02cc4cd86e49ca210037718560c8.jpeg

Another day, another release! Flamethrowers! :)

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/smallscale-flame-troopers

flamer10.jpg
flamer11.jpg

Designed for 6mm/8mm gaming in mind. Compatible with games such as Adeptus Titanicus or Battletech.

This kit contains the following miniatures:
- 10 Flame Troopers (with 6mm inserts)
- 10 Flame Troopers (without 6mm inserts)

*NOTE: 25mm round bases on picture not included in this set, they are available separately though! *

Please do no share or sell these files (including prints and remixes) without my written permission.

6 hours ago, LameBeard said:

My support box arrived! Going to have some fun building Deredos this evening, I hope. Do I get the option on weapons or do they have to have half-and-half auto cannon/plasma?

half and half, autocannons seem more useful as their range band works better with their volkites. Melta is fine, just range is low and they already all have wrecker. 

4 hours ago, Crablezworth said:

half and half, autocannons seem more useful as their range band works better with their volkites. Melta is fine, just range is low and they already all have wrecker. 

Well I guess that gets rid of decision paralysis at any rate. The painter in me wants the variety, but the gamer in me wants a consistent load-out across the unit to speed up the games and reduce mental load.

IMG_3951.thumb.jpeg.b8f47d5195e97f6343bb283dbeb0483d.jpeg

On this point, I am becoming a little disenchanted with the prospect of “3 heavy books for one army” (I haven’t actually bought a supplement yet though) and started to look at some of @Pacific81’s suggestions on the pre-existing internet options, but they seem super-deep and detailed with hundreds of pages themselves. Anyone tried a more abstract, rules-lite system?

Edited by LameBeard
Built them so added the picture!

Well I received my Dire Wolf and Land Raider kits today, and it seems as though GW goofed and only included a single AT Data Slate. I’ve emailed them to try and get another copy seeing as that’s the main reason I picked the box up. Otherwise, they look great and are a definite improvement over the original resin models. 

Single AT Command Terminal in the box of Dire Wolf heavy titans I ordered as well. I emailed the third party wholesaler I bought from. Fingers crossed. I think lots of people will be impacted.

Also, the legs are not interchangeable like those of the Warhounds. There is a left one and a right one and they are "fixed" unless you start to cut and reposition parts (I'll likely give it a try). You can't easily swap left for right and vice versa.

3 hours ago, Mendi Warrior said:

Also, the legs are not interchangeable like those of the Warhounds. There is a left one and a right one and they are "fixed" unless you start to cut and reposition parts (I'll likely give it a try). You can't easily swap left for right and vice versa.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The ball joint is glued in on a specific side and there’s no way to swap it. Kind of a bummer, but overall I think the model looks pretty good and much better than the original version. At least in the sub-assembled version it’s currently in, lol

@LameBeard if you are looking for a potential 'fallback' game system beyond Legions, if you want to keep all of the 30k-era specific unit your options are 30k Armageddon or Imperialis Dominatus, which is a more recent spin on NetEpic by the guys that helped develop that system.

I would say both are easier rules systems to learn than LI and faster to play. Armageddon in particular has a big tournament scene and very codified army lists, to the point that 30k lists are still not tournament-legal at time of writing (apparently that is coming soon).

Imperialis Dominatus also suffers from having tons of having about 10 types of Dreadnought and every unit designation (which is a good or bad thing depending on what you want).

If you aren't too fussed about using Deredeo Dreadnoughts as Deredeo Dreadnoughts you could use base NetEpic or Epic SM 2nd. That's where I think all of my Legions stuff will go ultimately - it's more fun, faster to play, has Aliens, better Titan combat rules.

Also totally agree with you about the weapon options thing.

The argument against this is people saying the game becomes stale with one weapons loadout, but this has never been a problem with other Epic games systems that don't offer this, and they need to think of the ageing eyesight of the people they aimed this game at! :biggrin: