GreenScorpion's Build, Paint, Discover Hobby Challenge 2023

GreenScorpion
Go to solution Solved by GreenScorpion,

Might as well toss my regulation-issue helmet into the ring...

IMG_5354.jpg?ex=65485e34&is=6535e934&hm=

Think I'd like to vow this psyker. :HQ:

Dunno exactly what he is, Primaris psyker maybe? Or maybe Regimental Astropath, from the staff insignia.

But i picked him up for 7 bucks plus tax at the local hobby shop and wouldn't mind getting him painted up. Plus, he's already got the right base color/material :biggrin:

Might also see about writing some more lore for the Cantorellian 23rd... We Shall See. For the Emperor!

• 2 weeks later...

The Field Battery is built.

I tried to make the harness on the one pulled by horses a bit more elaborate. Also don’t look to closely at the sitting gunner, his legs are problematic to say the least.

image.thumb.png.1c1e5b5d64c24bf2a29332a4f337c1e7.png

Up next is a Hydra, should be fairly straight forward, swap the gunner and go from there.

Spoiler

image.png.b61a6406287b7f9d299dcaf84bb44cdc.png

On 10/23/2023 at 4:35 AM, Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch said:

Might as well toss my regulation-issue helmet into the ring...

IMG_5354.jpg?ex=65485e34&is=6535e934&hm=

Think I'd like to vow this psyker. :HQ:

Dunno exactly what he is, Primaris psyker maybe? Or maybe Regimental Astropath, from the staff insignia.

But i picked him up for 7 bucks plus tax at the local hobby shop and wouldn't mind getting him painted up. Plus, he's already got the right base color/material :biggrin:

Might also see about writing some more lore for the Cantorellian 23rd... We Shall See. For the Emperor!

A Sanctioned Psyker from late 3rd Edition if memory serves. Came in three variants that were basically the same sculpt but slightly different arms. 

Edited by Trokair

On 11/4/2023 at 4:24 PM, GreenScorpion said:

@Trokair I updated the pledge list. Nice work with the Field Batteries, they are very characterful and I am sure they will look really nice when you paint them :smile:

Knowing my painting pace that might be a few years.

Anyway Hydra is built. Was fairly quick and easy as it was essentially just the gunner that needed converting. He got some taller boots with a thin bit of plastic card under each foot so that the sholders where roughly in line with the gunner arms that came with the Hydra and that was that. I also handed some shields to the railings on the platform.

image.thumb.png.cbf463c6c25469c034ad6be7fdfc5d38.png

22 hours ago, GreenScorpion said:

I have been doing a lot of catch up on the painting side this year and I am currently painting stuff built in January 2022 (so slightly less than 2 years delay at the moment) so I get the feeling :smile:

That’s great to hear, keep going and best of luck with the painting.

How is everybody else’s projects going?

Hi guys! Gonna start weighing in on this one now. Here is my Astra Militarum army as it currently stands:

IMG_3041.thumb.jpeg.edfe49ad082dc79a270fb8f439223cce.jpeg

Everything in the army is at least covered in Mechanicus Standard Grey and has had a wash of Nuln Oil. I’ll call this the basecoat.

Everything down on the desk needs painting beyond the basecoat. Even the guy in front who looks painted needs a total repaint. On top of the printer, there are some models fully painted but four tanks that need painting up to full.

So in total, to paint:

4 infantry squads

2 platoon command squads

2 heavy weapon teams

1 ratling squad

1 castellan 

1 sentinel

3 leman russ tanks

1 hellhound

I am very tempted to pledge the lot, because it has been sitting in a box for far too long now…

Hell with it. I’m going all in! If I succeed, it’ll be the most I’ve ever painted in such a short space of time, and if I fail, it will be a glorious failure :biggrin:

Oops, forgot the pledge:

In the name of the Emperor and Lord Commander, I Commander TheArtilleryman of the 413th Maybury Hill Rifles, shall paint 56 infantry, 6 heavy weapon teams, 1 sentinel and 4 tanks by January 7th.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

41 minutes ago, GreenScorpion said:

@TheArtilleryman Pledge added. Let me know in case you want to split the painting into smaller tasks instead of one big task with everything included.

Thanks! I did think about it, but I really need the motivation so I’m gonna stick with it as all one pledge I think. I really want to have a game with them too, and I refuse to play with anything that isn’t painted :happy:

I don’t play many games …

IMG_5558.thumb.jpeg.1b841cf29e5033e5addad0caa36a0b7c.jpegIMG_5560.thumb.jpeg.067c284fc99adc60f1fbd1bcc49b1551.jpegIMG_5562.thumb.jpeg.7b8506dc998937460415ee6be58e24f1.jpegIMG_5564.jpg?ex=656b8c14&is=65591714&hm=

...Throne, those images are bigger than I thought. Oh well. Presenting an Imperial Battle-psyker! Decided to combo two challenges in one and do him up for the 2-hour hobby challenge as well, and he took me about an hour thirty-five all told I believe. Had a lot of fun with him, and I think I got a pretty good amount of detail on him too for only 95 minutes of brush time.

I have been putting off starting this as it will be a lot of work, and combining resin and plastic is never that simple. Anyway, I am vowing to convert one Lord Solar count as.

Start:

image.png.eb9b6b280a3170889df66006d1db65ce.png

A little back-story, when the Dragon Emperor of Rhûn was released I bought one for my Easterling LotR army. I discovered as I was building it I discovered a few issues and contacted FW support, expecting that they would send me replacement parts; instead they sent me an entire replacement Dragon Emperor of Rhûn. So with the LotR one built I have about 85% of the second kit left.

While the six Easterlings carrying the palanquin look great, and I can totally see that fit into 40k one way or another, I do feel that they are a bit slow compared to Lord solar and his horse. So some mechanical assistance is required. I did consider the track from the taurox kit, but I could not get my hand on any to have a proper look. Instead I bought some 3rd party tank kit 1/72 scale according to the box, but it has tracks and a fairly flat top that think I can build the palanquin onto.

OK, update time.

3 evenings of toil have resulted in the completion of 1 infantry squad, 1 platoon command squad, 1 Castellan and 1 Leman Russ Executioner:

IMG_3048.thumb.jpeg.bb1e03e01d336790e58afd56937642ca.jpeg

I’ve organised the force into chunks that I plan to paint together. Each week I am aiming to batch paint 2 infantry units and a tank at the same time. This way I’m hoping I’ll keep up the motivation as I’m not painting all the tanks and being left with infantry, or forcing myself to slog through the infantry before I can get to the tanks.

So the plan is:

Week 1 = 1 infantry squad, 1 heavy weapon squad, 1 Leman Russ

Week 2 = 1 infantry squad, 1 heavy weapon squad, 1 Leman Russ

Week 3 = 1 infantry squad, 1 platoon command squad, 1 Hellhound

Week 4 = 1 ratling squad, 1 sentinel

If I can stick to this plan then the aim is to have the whole lot done by Christmas Day.

The painted stuff comes in at 860 points and is now starting to look like a useable force:

IMG_3050.thumb.jpeg.54fd824dd6b3ed8f963ef33a43853c95.jpeg

Here’s the whole lot now below - as I update I will use the same positioning from now on to show the progress:

IMG_3049.thumb.jpeg.10e5e04f40239e51e66dae19ac838306.jpeg

Ok two potential mock up of how the palanquin could sit on the treads.  

Top row has it just sitting on top, alined with the rear. If I go with this option I would fill the space between the arches with plastic card and such.

The lower row has it sitting without the sides, but so that the steps go down the front of the of the underlying tank.   If I go with this option then I would trim the sides (as seen in the top row) to remove the arches, as the sides is what the cover slots into, and where the dragon statues go.

Spoilers due to large image. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.55fc46a7568f5ca917390dcd7bd83476.png

@Trokair I am a bit torn here, the first option seems to be better lined up and looks more imposing, but the second option actually seems functionally in terms of allowing the Lord Solar to get down from the palanquin. Perhaps elevating a bit the second option at the front so the alignment is better would work?

Edited by GreenScorpion

On 11/23/2023 at 4:44 PM, GreenScorpion said:

@Trokair I am a bit torn here, the first option seems to be better lined up and looks more imposing, but the second option actually seems functionally in terms of allowing the Lord Solar to get down from the palanquin. Perhaps elevating a bit the second option at the front so the alignment is better would work?

I am now exploring a middle ground option, but would need to construct additional stairs to make it work. The palanquin would be as in the top version, but a little further forward, and the stairs would be as in the second option and the space in between I would have to construct. Then there is also a little space at the back for some more engine components.

Update - I made this week’s quota:

IMG_3064.thumb.jpeg.90ac0177bcd781b4699d283410a4ab1c.jpeg

Army progress:

IMG_3063.thumb.jpeg.6d023713160e3dc7585a5255316571cb.jpeg

Incidentally, thanks to this thread I’ve already made the 50 points for the decluttering challenge that I pledged to do by Christmas … committing to these challenges really has been a Godsend for me this year, so thanks guys for the motivation!

8 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Incidentally, thanks to this thread I’ve already made the 50 points for the decluttering challenge that I pledged to do by Christmas … committing to these challenges really has been a Godsend for me this year, so thanks guys for the motivation!

Always happy to help reduce the pile of grey :smile:

Update: 

I went a bit off-grid this week and deviated from the original plan. I didn’t manage to complete the three units I intended to finish. However, I did still complete three units - the hellhound, the sentinel and the second command squad:

IMG_3085.thumb.jpeg.9661696daa3401563441d880d7f5f5f9.jpeg

I also went a bit crazy and added two layers to every other unit in the army, plus the black details on one of the infantry squads. So I’ve still made good progress and have saved myself a bit of time by giving myself a headstart on this week’s lot.

I’m afraid I can’t show you the army in situ right now as a pesky Christmas elf is having an UNO party with his mates in their usual spot. So I’ll have to post you a photo of that instead XD

IMG_3086.thumb.jpeg.97cdfa7b651d8f8957dd3e64ea129f9d.jpeg

Until next week …