GreenScorpion's Build, Paint, Discover Hobby Challenge 2023

GreenScorpion
Go to solution Solved by GreenScorpion,

Ok, now that my monster of a project is done i can add something to this.

"In the name of the Emperor and Lord Commander , I Commander Focslain of the 52nd Teradox Armoured Compnay, shall in some combination of Build and Paint so as to further the existence of the 7th Rhûnish Dragoons by January 7th."

For this I'm doing a Rogal Dorn tank that I got in the christmas bundle.

20231206_1851021.thumb.jpg.9b51cf0ac50a914ea55164968a585c57.jpg

I can finally begin to contribute. My VM rough riders are overdue, so I started painting a commissar and a priest for something to fill in the time.

Not a massive help, to be sure- it doesn't get my original pledge done any quicker, that's for sure.

But today I got a little package from a very obliging man that should put me significantly further down the road to success:

20231210(1).thumb.JPG.d51e3d97eff40707cc85179e725b4308.JPG

A helpful soul 3d scanned a crouching rogue trader guardsman I converted, along with the weapons I've been converting for the army. Now I can build the weapon loaders I pledged back at the start. Happy days. Four minutes to build this sniper instead of several days' converting. And the scale is perfect:

20231210(4).thumb.JPG.ecc4b717fd96e6afd6bde1a47238965e.JPG

With the weapons I can also finally start fitting out the chimeras for my squads too. Oh yes indeed, we're rolling now. No more ridiculous eBay overspend because of my idiotic aesthetic decisions.

The pledge is back on track!

20231210 (6).JPG

Update time!

Another couple of evenings of feverish brushwork and the ratlings are done, along with infantry squad 4:

IMG_3108.thumb.jpeg.f5c1bf57443e6666bc3bad7bedc0677f.jpeg

Because I went off plan last week I’m a bit out this week too, but the end is in sight:

IMG_3107.thumb.jpeg.13f8d7448e925e8f06170e031d8c0d53.jpeg

Yes, the army has moved again … as you can see I have just three units left - an infantry squad, heavy weapons squad and the last Leman Russ tank. I can’t quite believe I’m nearly there …

Is it bad that I’m already thinking about what to add next? :angel:

Edited by TheArtilleryman

11 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

I really like the heavy stubbers. Much nicer than the standard GW version.

Thanks! if you want, you can have the stl file for them. I made them out of 1st ed necromunda stubbers and forgeworld marine bolter mags.

I wish I could manage even a quarter of the speed you're showing though. You're knocking it out the park, nearly finished already!

On to my painting progress: Finished the commissar and preacher I mentioned earlier, as you can see here.

20231211(4).thumb.JPG.f07d5dc2a25ed7468c41418036b9c1ef.JPG

Managed to get the eyes right for once. The commissar kind of came out looking like my mate Lily, which is ... odd... but whatever, it's done.

I also got some tufts on their bases to tie them in better with the army but couldn't get a good photo, so here's the crap one I did get instead

20231211(8).thumb.JPG.a10576ab431a960f38d7e8bdc4471858.JPG

Finally, I've started worrying about whether my horseys are actually going to turn up because they're already a month or so late. I'm sure they'll get here, but maybe not in time for the pledge drive so just in case I started putting together an infantry platoon to do instead. Pleased with the modelling so far.20231211(6).thumb.JPG.43836f520725d7064d1225f28c7be1d9.JPG

Good luck everyone!

Thanks @Bonehead. I’d love the file but unfortunately I don’t have access to a 3D printer or a friend with one … I’ve been drooling over a Saturn 2 but it’s just not something I can afford right now.

Cheers for the boost about the painting too. I don’t usually paint this fast at all but the problem is, when I say publicly I’m gonna do something I kinda feel like I have to lol… they aren’t my best work by a long way but my theory was they are better painted averagely than not painted at all!

I’m liking the faces on yours - very well done. I’m so bad at faces. Also kudos for building a bespoke regiment. The time and effort involved in that is massive. Something I’ve always wanted to do with this lot. Was originally gonna swap all the heads for Anvil Industry ones (there are half a dozen in the command squads) but by the time I did them all it would have cost me about 70 quid so it never happened. Looking forward to seeing your squad finished.

PS tufts are my best friend! They really make a model come to life.

@Bonehead Do you want me to update your pledge with the infantry platoon? (I am assuming it would be a painting task since you already started with the building)
In what relates to the rough riders, obviously it would be a shame if they don't arrive on time, but that is not something you can control so don't worry about it :smile:

On 12/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, GreenScorpion said:

@Bonehead Do you want me to update your pledge with the infantry platoon? (I am assuming it would be a painting task since you already started with the building)
In what relates to the rough riders, obviously it would be a shame if they don't arrive on time, but that is not something you can control so don't worry about it :smile:

Look, I know what I said earlier.

But on the other hand I was very bored 'working from home' today.

So add them to the pledge, because I got a ton of progress made on eleven guards:

20231213(3).thumb.JPG.3a20edd68d0bdf9b89b73ed876501960.JPG

At this rate I'll have the platoon done before the horsey lads get here...

Got the dorn pieces together and primed for painting. 

20231212_1848391.thumb.jpg.f04262563d0ca001b294eedae02e8d90.jpg

I made a mistake in the turret as I wanted crewed but didn't have the parts I wanted for the feliod conversion. So this will technically be the turret for my  AT focused Dorn later. I'll build the actually turret for the AI version here when I do that one over winter break. 

Okay so with my recently acquired back injury I am not really able to paint anything.  At least not yet.  I has majorly screwed up, well, just about everything I had planned/needed/wanted to do. 

I am, however, able to write or sit at my computer for short amounts of time.  Therefore:

In the name of the Emperor and Lord Commander , I Commander Brother Argent of the (name TBA), shall create an Index Astartes style article in the Liber on a new Imperial Guard Regiment by January 7th

Whilst I have been a long term Astartes collector and painter my love has always been for the guard.  And as the Firstborn are more and more written out in favour of the new Primaris marines I feel astartes are more and more leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.  I also created a regiment a few years back based on the ANZACs (known as the 13th New Eden Rifles) but am thinking I want to go full fiction rather then such an obvious themed chapter.  I love the new Cadians though would need to convert them somehow as I want a unique looking regiment.  But that will come later.  I will post links when I start to make a bit of progress.

I am considering, depending on how my health/back etc go I may even attempt to write some fiction for them too.

I hope that is an acceptable vow.

I am calling the Lord Solar done, for now.

image.png.28bc159c9e9f946ecc9b4cb295f3c785.png

I am leaving him off until both are painted, as I suspect once he is on getting to some of the space behind him will get really tricky, and since the carpet has presculpted footholds for him to slide into it should be simple adding him later.

I did try and add a pistol holster and some grenades onto his belt, but none of the attempts looked convincing so for now he is unmodified (aside from me carefully removing the eye of Sauron from the chestplate). Likewise my attempt to add a purity seal and/or medals did not look good, so I took them off again and sanded the chest plate a little more.  

I may in time add more gubbins to him or his charger, once I have built everything else and I can take a stock take of my bits box and what could fit. For now though it is done and i need to move onto other units that need doing.

Some more angles  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.062809497d639389b09aff71720c05e4.png

As there are only about two weeks and a bit left I am not sure what makes more sense to do next, On the one hand I could build a few infantry men, not sure how many but I think if I can build 2 of each special weapon (currently have 1 flamer and 1 grenade launcher already built from the Kill team last year), some heavy weapons teams and some sergents/Vox guys I will then be in a good place to form whatever squad I want. After that I can just turn the remaining bodies into generic infantry.

On the other I do have one Rogal Dorn sitting in a box ready to be built.

3 hours ago, Trokair said:

I am calling the Lord Solar done, for now.

image.png.28bc159c9e9f946ecc9b4cb295f3c785.png

I am leaving him off until both are painted, as I suspect once he is on getting to some of the space behind him will get really tricky, and since the carpet has presculpted footholds for him to slide into it should be simple adding him later.

I did try and add a pistol holster and some grenades onto his belt, but none of the attempts looked convincing so for now he is unmodified (aside from me carefully removing the eye of Sauron from the chestplate). Likewise my attempt to add a purity seal and/or medals did not look good, so I took them off again and sanded the chest plate a little more.  

I may in time add more gubbins to him or his charger, once I have built everything else and I can take a stock take of my bits box and what could fit. For now though it is done and i need to move onto other units that need doing.

Some more angles  

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.062809497d639389b09aff71720c05e4.png

As there are only about two weeks and a bit left I am not sure what makes more sense to do next, On the one hand I could build a few infantry men, not sure how many but I think if I can build 2 of each special weapon (currently have 1 flamer and 1 grenade launcher already built from the Kill team last year), some heavy weapons teams and some sergents/Vox guys I will then be in a good place to form whatever squad I want. After that I can just turn the remaining bodies into generic infantry.

On the other I do have one Rogal Dorn sitting in a box ready to be built.

Nice work! 

What was in the original pledge? Cos it would be great to see what Solar looks like when painted. I definitely think a little bit of “40K-ing” would be good on him - what about a laspistol or something in that left hand? Also adding the imperial Aquila somewhere to make it clear he’s on our side :)

Well, the horsey models aren't going to get here in time for the challenge, so those will have to be struck from the record. And I've been ill with the winter flu thing this week and got nothing done, which means I'm behind in my job so I'm not going to have much time for painting over the next while either. Bit of a string of bad luck messing me up here.

On the positive side, I've got two gunners and three loaders modelled up now, so that part of the pledge is still ticking over.

Pretty damn pleased with how they look, too:

20231221(1).thumb.JPG.26a0b22c2425233f930f098ba916f2b0.JPG

I'm hoping I should be able to get at least some paint on these before the deadline. But in general I reckon I might miss most of my targets. Just not been a good time recently, things going wrong all over the shop. Still, I'm going to give it a good try. Any progress is good news.

15 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

What was in the original pledge? Cos it would be great to see what Solar looks like when painted. I definitely think a little bit of “40K-ing” would be good on him - what about a laspistol or something in that left hand? Also adding the imperial Aquila somewhere to make it clear he’s on our side :)

Just building for the moment, I have limited hobby at desk time at the moment. I will get round to painting it, and the others, at some point, perhaps in the next year.

Good shout on an Aquila on the chestplate, that might work. Next time I have some green stuff i’ll give it a go.

Update!!!

so despite work dealing me a nightmare schedule, and every respiratory illness lining up to infect me, I've finally got some progress to show. Mordian Macharius Vulcan nears completion. I'm going to add some Aquillas and finish it tonight. It's a lovely tank, I love the details that forgeworld adds like power cabling and scopes and things that aren't as apparent on the Dorn or main line battle tanks. I will try and finish the tank commander tonight as well so I can put finished to the whole Macharius project

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Looks like I am building the Rogal Dorn next, and leaving the infantry for the next year.

Started this afternoon and have built both tracks and magnetised the sponsons.  

image.thumb.png.d6542ebe863c333986a597af1588a1ed.png

Edit: I will try and make the main gun interchangeable as well, it looks fairly doable, but I am not sure of the little hull stubber/meltas. I think I would prefer to just have the lights form an aesthetic and it looks a little awkward to work with as well.

Edited by Trokair