MtO - Warhammer 40,000 Terrain

Joe

The Skyshield is awesome, and the Bastion (and Aegis Line, I suppose) still hold up but the others really suffer in scale next to modern models. I don't get a lot of use out of my bunkers and defense line -- they look pretty goofy nowadays imo. What is this? a bunker for ants?!

57 minutes ago, JayJapanB said:

Real question is why are the basing kits back? 

Does anyone like them?

The Sector mechanicus, boardin actions, and necromunda bases are alright, but those kits they're bringing back are trash.

I was keen to get the heroic basing kit back in the day. Between it being removed and now, I got a 3d printer. I'd still have purchased said kit, as I prefer to get official GW products where available if I hadn't already printed bases for my heroes in the years it's been gone.

I'm conflicted on this one - I'd love to get the Aegis Defense line and Bastion (or multiples!) but money is tight and the thing I have been saving/holding back for is the Castigator which they show off at the same time. I think pricing will be the determining factor here for me.

2 hours ago, Cpt_Reaper said:

I was keen to get the heroic basing kit back in the day. Between it being removed and now, I got a 3d printer. I'd still have purchased said kit, as I prefer to get official GW products where available if I hadn't already printed bases for my heroes in the years it's been gone.

Well you dodged a bullet.

This feels like an example of "what not to do" in some kind of how-to basing tutorial. No angle, not grounded, placed dead centre, barely converted.
image.png.ba166998e5412eeb64efd257e2755998.png

And plastic in general is not a good basing material unless you're just using it for bits to add to a base. (Or fairly flat scifi flooring can also work.)

But this is a no
image.thumb.png.a31be1948134ae7db614b25db804e725.png

When you could be having this
image.thumb.png.c8d4e5015ffc4eeadff473693be620d6.png
image.thumb.png.172ec7c7c8373f115a3029e2943a4df8.png

Glad to see most of the Cerastus Knights out now, hopefully people will get at least six months out of them before GW does their usual thing and nerfs them into the ground. :teehee:

The re-release of the terrain features is great as far as I am concerned but I wish they had re-introduced the Vengeance battery turrets that were part of the Wall of Martyrs set. That and maybe that huge Macro Cannon thing.  Personally I wish they had split the terrain up into two MTO periods if they were having trouble listing them all at once. I would be tempted by the Skyshield but my situation currently necessitates putting the hobby on the backburner for a little while, and particularly spending on said hobby. I'd like a Cerastus Lancer but that will have to wait.

The Skyshield is very tempting but price will always be the deciding factor. They're not the scenery kits  would have preferred to see given the choice but nice anyway.

Interesting to see if this is the start of a trend of old scenery kits returning. I'd love to see a few old 40K and the original AoS scenery kits come back.

Sincerely hoping we see Sector Imperialis terrain return, whether it's a Made to Order or a regular return.

They did say it was a popular terrain set when talking about Chalnath.

Because I could do with more buildings, I have Chalnath and the Kill Team box that was GSC/AM.

3 minutes ago, SalamandersBro said:

That trench kit looks nasty. Does anyone have pictures of the set. It it only those 3 pieces?

Yes.  The emplacements and defense line kits are both pretty much exactly what they showed. They are designed to fit with each other and the bunker, though (There also used to be 2 gun batteries that went with them that are not getting MTO)

10 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Nice to see some of these back in production but I would have been a lot more excited by some of the slightly older stuff like the Imperial City and the various armed fortifications.

s-l1600.jpg

gw-99120199033_3.jpg

Although I haven't seen it in person, I really love how they have them placed on this Warhammer World table. Feels like a real battlefield.
image.thumb.png.b1577ae457b3433d64d2658e8c1406f3.png

14 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Nice to see some of these back in production but I would have been a lot more excited by some of the slightly older stuff like the Imperial City and the various armed fortifications.

Indeed - I'd also love to see the 3rd Ed. Gothic Ruins and Jungle Trees be brought back for one of these runs :smile:

10 minutes ago, firestorm40k said:

Indeed - I'd also love to see the 3rd Ed. Gothic Ruins and Jungle Trees be brought back for one of these runs :smile:

Haha, that's exactly what I thought of when I saw "A bunch of old warhammer 40k terrain going MtO"

The old crates and barrels were also pretty great. They were much less cartoony than the current barrels.
image.thumb.png.a1d36d3906bc3e0f3d635ad60d8fbdc3.png
Sometimes you want barrels and crates to be barrels-and-crates. Without gothic arches, extremely chunky barrels etc

the heroes/heroic base set is very... aquired taste thing. It has couple different sizes of bases but some of them are nightmare to get model on and look natural. Great example is platform ontop of oil/waste pipe. Other example is the stairs one, it goes couple steps but point of balance is so wonky that bigger minis make it topple over.

I always wanted the bastion for my IW but at the time I was one of those people who spent all their money on models rather than scenery. If the price is right I might invest in a few of those to make some scenery with. 

I paid £35 for a new skyshield from Element in 2020 and was happy to pay £16 for a single trench sprue in ‘22 from eBay the week before they went last chance to buy so the increase on those doesn’t seem all that bad. Think I’m just getting the emplacements to round off my set though

Edited by aa.logan