Codex: Space Marine + Model pre-orders next week (30/09)

18 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

This marine combat patrol...why?

If anything itll generate buyers remorse than sales

As a trap for new players. By the time they realise it's not worth the money it'll be too late. Anti-consumer appears to be the driving principle of GW at the moment.

1 hour ago, KaosRaptor said:

New Sternguard are three sprues and are cheaper than the new Command Squad (at least here in NZ), so that logic doesn't entirely check out.

But they expect to sell more of theĀ Sternguard, which means they can bulk produce them much more, making them cheeper to creat. The same reason you can by a box of figure for the same price as a singel HQ, even when the later less stuff.

25 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

This marine combat patrol...why?

For the people that only wants the marine models, and have no interest in paying for/trying to sell of the other stuff.

Ā 

27 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

If anything itll generate buyers remorse than sales

Why do you think that?

1 hour ago, Doghouse said:

Ā 

Yeah it's definitely just a cheap repackaging of the starter set models.

Ā 

I've only ordered the regular codex this time around, I don't trust GW enough to buy cards and stuff!Ā :biggrin:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ill prob get the marine codex to tide me over til Wolves codex drops, I like that development (in isolation)

Ā 

But yah, weve gone from gotcha strats to gotcha products :)

Goonhammer has a review up of the codex. I wrote a bit about the vanguard detachment, so you can blame me for errors there but not any others.Ā https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-space-marines-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/
Ā 

We (not me) also reviewed some of the models, which are a bit of a mixed bag. The assault intercessors turn out to be a bit of a pain but the sternguard and terminators are great.Ā 
Ā 

https://www.goonhammer.com/model-review-10th-edition-space-marine-miniatures/

Ā 

Overall we were pretty impressed with the book. The overall power level seems about right (we think, but weā€™ll see) and most of the detachments should see play. Itā€™s not easy to design all these different special rules and datasheets and have them all be viable but not broken, but it seems they have done that pretty well.Ā 

Edited by Mandragola

I think the poor value nid and space marine combat patrols are webstore only, so at least won't be tripping people up buying presents for their kids in the store.

Ā 

The new necron one is also low value compared to other patrols, so it will be interesting to see if that is also webstore only. Unlike the SM and nids, necrons don't have cheap starter sets any more.

16 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

You'd think but every weapon option does seem to have a hidden price and it's about 5 points. The wargear itself could be balanced better with stats and abilities to make them more attractive and effective at a given role rather than reducing the options alltogether especially given that exceptions like the Death Company still exist.

Ā 

I doubt the exception for Death Company will last beyond the next Blood Angels supplement, as the firstborn and intercessor sheets seem certain to be merged ala sternguard. At best, jump pack Death Company will get the vanguard vet treatment with heirloom weapons; they could also just restrict them down to the contents of the new jump pack intercessors kit i.e. bolt pistols and chainswords only. Either way, I expect them to end up with the datasheet options of the relevent jump pack/assault/bolt rifle intercessor kits and no more, whether you use firstborn or primaris models. A squad that can all take melta pistol&power fists OR all BP&chainsword etc does not seem like it's going to last long in the 10th ed design space.

1 hour ago, Gamiel said:

For the people that only wants the marine models, and have no interest in paying for/trying to sell of the other stuff.

Ā 

Why do you think that?

Yeah the thing is though you can buy the Starter Set and the Terminator Librarian for less than the Combat Patrol so you could give the Tyranids away for free and youā€™d still be better off by a considerable amount. Hell even if you couldnā€™t be bothered going to the trouble of finding someone to give them away to, you could shove them in the bottom of a drawer and forget about them for the rest of your life or even throw them out in the garbage and youā€™re still better off by $49 in local currency here in Australia. I assume the savings are similar in other areas but I canā€™t be certain. Maybe people in other geographical areas can chime in.

Customer: I'd like the Space Marines from the Starter Set and a Terminator Librarian please. But I don't want the Tyranids and I don't need the data cards, dice and gaming mat.

Ā 

GW: Sure thing, we've got you covered with this Combat Patrol. But it's going to cost you an extra Ā£6 for us to sell you those Marine models without the Tyranids and gaming stuff.Ā 

Ā 

:facepalm:

9 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Points wise the rule is to follow the most recent release right? So that would be the Codex when it fully releases?

Ā 

Yes. But also no. It depends. They may release an FAQ before the Codex releases, which would technically be an older release but would supersede the Codex.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Redcomet said:

Naomi did the lords work and went over every Datasheet change

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Cool, they fixed the Character omission in Rhinoā€™s and Razorbacks AND combat squaded Tactical Squads with a Character attached can ride in an Impulsors since the Character has the Tacticus keyword. Ā Also, unfortunate that Command Squads canā€™t themselves join other units and have a limited number of Characters that can join.

Lieutenants with Combi-Weapons are gonna be a thing.

Edited by CCE1981

31 minutes ago, CCE1981 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Cool, they fixed the Character omission in Rhinoā€™s and Razorbacks AND combat squaded Tactical Squads with a Character attached can ride in an Impulsors since the Character has the Tacticus keyword. Ā Also, unfortunate that Command Squads canā€™t themselves join other units and have a limited number of Characters that can join.

Lieutenants with Combi-Weapons are gonna be a thing.

Ā Where did you get the combi-weapon detail? I do want to use a combi-weapon on a model, but didn't see where that is mentioned?

https://taleofpainters.com/2023/09/review-primaris-space-marines-company-heroes-sternguard-veteran-squad/

Ā 

tale of painters posted a review of the company heroes and sternguard. i always like stahly's kit reviews because he bothers to take clear, high quality pictures of the side of the sprue not shown on the website in order to showcase certain bits (in this case the sternguard helmets).

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

2 minutes ago, LostTemplar said:

Ā Where did you get the combi-weapon detail? I do want to use a combi-weapon on a model, but didn't see where that is mentioned?

In the video, the Lt with Combi-Weaponā€™s aura increased from 6ā€ to if he is on the Board. Ā He can now hide near your home objective, and your entire army gets re-roll 1s to wound against an enemy that holds an object, chosen at start of game.

45 minutes ago, Gamiel said:

Yes, yes, but what about the lore? What new lore do we have?

Ā 

Only thing I have seen so far is one new Imperial Fists Successor chapter the Brazen Annihilators and a bit of blurb on the Brazen Skulls and Solar Hawks. I think GW may be clamping down on what reviewers can show now as the majority of reviews I have seen show next to nothing of the book interior and seem to focus on detachments.Ā 

4 hours ago, Gamiel said:

Ā 

Why do you think that?

Because you can buy the starter set and the Terminator Librarian for LESS money and get all the Tyranids free and have the exact same SM models.

I do wonder if theyā€™ll increase the cost of that starter. It really does seem very good value.Ā 
Ā 

As for the marine CP, I donā€™t like it at any price. Itā€™s just such a random collection of models, based totally on whatā€™s in the leviathan box rather than what makes a fun army to use.Ā