Sitnams WIP Shop - Beastmen

sitnam

Since I have participated in and completed my Call to Arms pledges, I've really taken a liking to the WIP subforum.

As I've finished with my Chaos pledges, I've decided to finally tackle the Kroot Fatstalkers I got last year. This is a continuation of the Kroot that I first started… 14ish years ago.

Spoiler

IMG_5590.thumb.jpeg.ec5405f6bf68a2749f38f380ba606495.jpeg
IMG_5589.thumb.jpeg.b04182c1738b60da10638d409083c3e5.jpeg

I painted this guy right out of high school, alongside his 15 kin that came in the Carnivore set. Teenage me did not realize that unthinned Testors model car paint was NOT the paint for 40k minis.

Then came BSF, in which Dayhek Grekh was 50% of why I bought the game

Spoiler

IMG_5591.thumb.jpeg.2dc221a87821b249b84eab18a6a46ae2.jpeg

IMG_5592.thumb.jpeg.0aefd522f25ce634eabdf0e069a5a6f3.jpeg

After Grekh was done and I started developing an interest in Kill Team (pre-Farstalkers) I decided to strip half the Carnivores, get some Kroothounds and Krootox, and paint them in the same style

Spoiler

IMG_5593.thumb.jpeg.829e04b5c20654a15fe615a76e94ee5a.jpeg

Since I didn’t start basing until like a year ago, I think this group still count as WIP:teehee:

Edited by sitnam

On 9/26/2023 at 8:40 PM, Grotsmasha said:

Too many brains? :biggrin:

Welp, to late to change it :facepalm:

20 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Always good to see more Kroot! Are you going to do the Gallowdark minis as well?

I’m working on them now actually. Initiated Grekh and my old Kroot years ago, I just never based them

Im about halfway through the Farstalkers so far, then I’m gonna go back and base the old Kroot

Spoiler

IMG_5614.thumb.jpeg.a49cdda7606ab17450de62802fcd9096.jpeg
IMG_5615.thumb.jpeg.fdf0cf143f38d5dac605ba7660aae127.jpeg

• 1 month later...

@Mumeishi Thank you!

I had a long work week, so I only got 1 guardsman done

Spoiler

IMG_5874.thumb.jpeg.edced88acd0653eb3f8a93648d49dff2.jpegIMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.baf90f27b73871abbe81e3be82b7de5c.jpeg

I kind of squandered my painting time to start a kitbash I had in my head. My buddy found some Cawsor Ridgewalkers for a great price, and I tore into them

Spoiler

IMG_5871.thumb.jpeg.2677547dbad27a09f17c6ac99b21212b.jpegIMG_5872.thumb.jpeg.878bd616bf6b1d0bdeb271e8fa1dc85f.jpeg

My idea here are little baby daemon engines. Instead of binding daemons to a construct, they bind prisoners to constructs then daemons to prisoners. Crude technology, crude sorcery 

• 3 weeks later...

So I don’t actually play anything but Warcry and a smidgen of Kill Team, so I’m not too plussed when it comes to playability. I think given the base size, I think they could make decent counts as Rough Riders. Hoping to complete the other two before the new year, but being an adult often gets in the way

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, MithrilForge said:

WOW :wub: A Heldrake of Tzeentch!! if ever i saw one , What a fantastic idea well done indeed!!

Cheers, M

I wish I could say it was my idea, but I've seen others combine the Heldrake and fantasy Phoenix kit bwfore. In fact I picked up the Phoenix right when GW announced it was last chance to buy just so I could have it for this huild

I guess it (the phoenix model) may come back now that Old Hammer is in resurgence :happy: 

Still a well executed idea (even if you didn't think of it first) I would say hit those mold lines on the wing edges (it's a OCD thing of mine to remove all mold lines :tongue:)

Cheers, M

• 4 weeks later...

Now with my two Nurgle champions complete, I finally decided to pick up the Felgor Ravagers box. I originally plan to get it for Xmas (alongside the Warcry Beastflayers) but then the FEC box came out, so I postponed that. I was going to wait for the Kroot box, but I kept eyeing these Beastmen  and finally broke and got it.

The kit itself is great. I dont plan on playing KT, so I just built the poses I like. Of the modern GW kits I’ve worked with, I can say that despite the dual build options for each body they are very mono-pose. It doesn’t come with a huge variety of accessories or options. The heads and horns however are all interchangeable, which is a very nice feature.

In comparison, I feel like the FEC Crypt Guard kit came with a decent number of variations for each body out of the box, but the head situation on those was kind of weird. Some heads went to some bodies, others to other bodies. With this kit, all the horns and heads use the same contact points. I did find hand swaps manageable, so maybe if I get another squad down the line I can mix in some AoS Beastmen weapons for variation

Scale wise, these guys are smaller than I thought they were. Not small by any means, but during building I thought they were massive compared to their predecessors.

Spoiler

IMG_6232.thumb.jpeg.6991d1afb9b231593a18e96121aed73d.jpeg

Compared to my previous Beastmen, they look in line with the Gors, Bestigors, and Tzaangors. I think their posing makes them look bigger. Plenty of the sculpts had nice, dynamic swinging poses. The BSF Beastmen actually look like the biggest if you discount the Bestigor horns.

I’ll be using the Tzeentch scheme for my Felgors, but I think I’ll actually add my BSF Beastmen to the rival Nurgle force I have been building alongside the BSF traitor guard from earlier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...