Dark Angels Secret Santa, any takers this year?

Grotsmasha

I've participated two or three times prior and really enjoyed it, and would love to do it again this year. I know it's a bit early, but I'm thinking we do interest / sign-ups in Oct, complete out models in Nov, then we can send them off start of Dec so we can have them under our trees for xmas.

Basic Rules as per previous years,

1- The B&C has no part in this and will not be involved in any kind of resolution. All participants accept the risk that their partner, however unlikely, may not be able to complete their gift.

2- Shipping costs are our own to bear, and international post is most likely, so budget for it. It also mens you will need to trust myself and one other Frater with your real name and postal address.

3- Expectation is a single infantry sized model to match one of the recipients collected factions, using their threads on the B&C for inspiration.

4- Obviously, complete and send your model to your Secret Santa recipient.

So, if all this sounds good to you, and you have the time and budget to participate, post you're interest in doing so in this thread, and should we get 3+ participants by Nov 1st, I'll PM and confirm with everyone and draws names out of a hat.

Currently Participating / Interested

- Grotsmasha

Edited by Grotsmasha

23 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Permission was granted originally for the DA forum as it limits the scope for things to go wrong, if I recall correctly.

The main reason is that it was to paint a mini for another person's collection, and as we are all DA players, we all have DA bits. However, if a tyranid player joins (as an example), I (and probably most others) wouldn't have extra bits to use. This would make it very difficult to assign santas. Similar with painting - we probably all have green, black and bleached bone paint, but probably not grey for space wolves or blue for ultramarines.

If it is opened up further, it would have to be an agnostic "you get what you get" instead of "you get a mini that matches your army" to make it fair for everyone. I'm personally okay with this, and participating again this year. I think it would be really hard to match people up based on available bits they have though.

On 10/2/2023 at 10:56 PM, Grotsmasha said:

Permission was granted originally for the DA forum as it limits the scope for things to go wrong, if I recall correctly.

Only those inducted into the Inner Circle of the Deathwing become privy to the most terrible secret of all … the identity of Santa.

I'll have to decline. While I love the event, shipping from my location to another country has become prohibitive expensive. I believe the 'Start Collecting' kits were cheaper than the average rate for international shipping from Belgium. :confused:

I'll follow all your progress with anticipation though :happy:

On 10/5/2023 at 3:04 PM, Chaplain Raeven said:

I believe the 'Start Collecting' kits were cheaper than the average rate for international shipping from Belgium. :confused:

That seems excessive....

Assuming everyone is still willing and able come November, we have enough participants to proceed :thumbsup:

On 10/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, twopounder said:

The main reason is that it was to paint a mini for another person's collection, and as we are all DA players, we all have DA bits. However, if a tyranid player joins (as an example), I (and probably most others) wouldn't have extra bits to use. This would make it very difficult to assign santas. Similar with painting - we probably all have green, black and bleached bone paint, but probably not grey for space wolves or blue for ultramarines.

If it is opened up further, it would have to be an agnostic "you get what you get" instead of "you get a mini that matches your army" to make it fair for everyone. I'm personally okay with this, and participating again this year. I think it would be really hard to match people up based on available bits they have though.

I'm not entirely convinced that wouldn't be better anyway - Maybe it starts/goes to a "secondary" army, worst case you get a Diorama model. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we are all good to procede. I'll draws names on Nov 1st and PM everybody, I currently have the list at;

@Grotsmasha

@Trokair

@Lostrael

@Shinn

@WrathOfTheLion

@Interrogator Stobz

@Brother Captain Arkley

@Raziel-TX

with @LameBeard as a maybe.

If anyone wishes to add or remove their name to the list let me know in the next couple of days, either here or via PM :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Looks like we are all good to procede. I'll draws names on Nov 1st and PM everybody, I currently have the list at;

@Grotsmasha

@Trokair

@Lostrael

@Shinn

@WrathOfTheLion

@Interrogator Stobz

@Brother Captain Arkley

@Raziel-TX

with @LameBeard as a maybe.

If anyone wishes to add or remove their name to the list let me know in the next couple of days, either here or via PM :thumbsup:

You forgot me :P

To the person who's got me, do not worry too much about "to match one of the recipient’s collected factions, using their threads on the B&C for inspiration". I consider myself a Dark Angels player because they are my favourite chapter, and my first models were Space Hulk (Christmas 1989!?) which I painted as Deathwing.  But I certainly don't expect any Rogue Trader terminator!  So let your imagination run wild with any model, 30k or 40k, primaris or firstborn, 1st Founding or Successor.

If you really want to see my recent Dark Angels, they are here - working up a squad for 30k (zone mortalis base will be removed).

IMG_3331.jpeg

I am also working on some Fallen (is that heresy here?) for KillTeam using a mix of the new chaos and older heresy plastic kits.

IMG_3332.jpeg

IMG_3334.jpeg

Edited by LameBeard