Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

17 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

Did you put in a complaint? I certainly would have done. There are times whereby they'll do something. Worth a try if nothing else.

I wasn't willing to quibble that much over $5. Was just really annoying; especially when they told me "We have no idea when we'll have stock again. Here's a refund" and then suddenly the next week they put out more stock with the increased the price.

7 hours ago, Jud Cottrell said:

I’m loving the MKIII so will eventually pick up a box. 

The only thing I have a doubt about them is the spike on the helmet.

I’ll probably remove it and mix in some MKVI heads for flavour or do you think we’ll get MKIII head upgrades?

100% sure there will be upgrades specific to mark 3. They are cheap to produce, high profit, and source of steady releases for the heresy brand wich they need to keep it visible. I'm actually kind of wondering now if there might not be more upgrade sets than just pads and heads for mark 3 just based on some of the wording in the article (Heavy weapons, Despoilers) but I won't keep my fingers crossed. 

Can't really get a good look at it but it seems like the picklehaube helmet spike should be easy to clip from the helmet without damaging the banding if your careful based off the one on Rann's helmet. Maybe too easy... I can see alot of them breaking off by accident.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

I finished my Iron Warriors marines for 40k a few months ago using HH Mk 3 and Mk 4 because I didn't want my IW to be so tainted looking.  However, now that I've finished my Black Legion guys I'm not happy at all with how small my IWs look.  Do the new scale HH match up pretty well with the 40k CSMs size wise?  If so, I'll probably be ordering.

19 minutes ago, crimsondave said:

I finished my Iron Warriors marines for 40k a few months ago using HH Mk 3 and Mk 4 because I didn't want my IW to be so tainted looking.  However, now that I've finished my Black Legion guys I'm not happy at all with how small my IWs look.  Do the new scale HH match up pretty well with the 40k CSMs size wise?  If so, I'll probably be ordering.

I think they'll be fine. I have 40K Thousand Sons and they look spot on next to the 30K beakies. 

1 hour ago, crimsondave said:

Here you have a few marines with plastic HH beakie bodies with another with a CSM body in the middle:

IMG_20230902_122747.thumb.jpg.c9866140a696684cd54ee031cfbbf97e.jpg

The CSM might be a hair taller, but they still scale well with each other overall. The MkIII might even be/look a bit taller with their helmets and backpack, so they might be the same size. 

14 hours ago, crimsondave said:

3% difference in size to the CSM. Translates to about 1mm or so. Biggest differences are in proportions. Heresy marines have smaller hands and heads skinnier arms. I put it down to the Chaos taint in the lore that made Chaos marines larger than regular ones. The Death Guard are even bigger more tainted at about 6-7% while the Rubrics are at the same size as the Deathwatch veterans and Space marine heroes series 1 so they have the older proportions on the helmets and hands but are roughly the same height as the Heresy 2.0 marines. Hope this helps, I print some of my marines and am super anal about getting the sizes right. 

edit: Forgot to mention the shoulder pads on Heresy 2.0 are also larger, thicker and more egg shaped so simply sizing up older ones doesn't quite work so if you are gonna use special pads or something like that "third party, printed or chaos marine etc" It helps them stay more uniform to replace all of them. I'm working on newer ones but I'm a blender noob.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

I think that might be overstating it somewhat, i freely mixed mk6, Chaos marines and a wealth of random heads, pads and weapons from all sorts of older kits, GW plastic, older FW resin and 3d prints alike with no issues or scale problems. The older mk3 were certainly smaller but worked alright if you dont mix closely but the mk4 was very obviously out of scale. 

Oh, except the plastic Praetors which are sadly embiggened. 

I agree the plague marines definitely look a bit bigger, though i didnt combine them in directly and don't have the others to hand.

Plaguemarines are massive, it's hard to kitbash them with very much else. Mk VI and CSM look fine intermixed though, I have some on my desk right now. CSM bodies are more upright and have loincloths, which makes them look bigger. Otto's right about them being a few % larger, too, but it won't show when you assemble a mini using parts from both kits.

Yeah the Preators are massive. Those are the differences though like I said I'm pretty ocd about it. I broke out digital calipers and wasted alot of resin resizing stuff to match perfectly but yeah the sizes are close enough that it doesn't look too wierd mixing and matching but I do feel the shoulder pad thing is getting more and more noticeable the more mini's that are released for 2.0 with alot of people commenting on new character models saying the pads look too big so I was saying that if that's a problem for you like it is for me sticking to either all new or all older sized pads will keep everything tidy.

The shame is there's really nothing available in the new sizes yet aside from the FW upgrade packs for fancier designs and literally hundreds or thousands of designs for the older scale wich is why I'm starting at curved object tutorials at peak ocd levels halfway through designing a mk 6 to visions of heresy ultramarine conversion kit beacuase my brain won't allow me to just stick the plastic mark 7 pads I hoarded on them instead. lol

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/12/how-to-model-heavier-weapons-onto-your-mkiii-space-marines/

New article about how the MKIII work with the weapon upgrades. It has been a discussion topic how the MKIII will use the heavy weapons when they only come with MKVI arms and this article confirms there are extra armour plates included in the MKIII kit to glue onto the MKVI arms so they look like MKIII.

This is actually very nice and a better solution that I would have expected

LHB0Lr91uf43HmG8.jpg

“But WarCom,” we hear you cry. “MKIII armour has vambraces on the forearms. They look totally different to MKVI armour!”

Never fear! The sprues for the MKIII Space Marines contain five sets of armoured vambraces on each frame, which are designed to be fixed onto the arms in the two heavy weapon upgrade kits.* 

New article discussing how to build your Mark III if you want them equipped with Heavy Weapons. Clever idea with the vambraces.