Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

2 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Nice to see them rescale the Mk3 kit, hopefully without sacrificing the flexibility!

1 minute ago, AGRAMAR said:

The only thing I fear with the remade of MK 3 and 4(?) it's the sprues will be stripped of heavy and special weapons.

In the other hand a plastic Deredeo is more than welcomed to me.

It's more than likely that they will be laid out like the current Mk6.

7 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Is it? GW suddently retconning back that those are a generic feature instead of the Death Guard trademark look for decades seems like misguided nostagia to me. Who are they trying to appeal to? It doesn't make sense for old players or new ones coming from 40k.

Makes sense to me and they appeal to me as well. 

55 minutes ago, Bradeh said:

I assume them holding the special weapons means it's a new kit over being some kind of resin upgrade. 

The volkite caliver is the exact same one from the special weapons box

36 minutes ago, -DonCorleone- said:

I’m guessing the weapon upgrades kit they released last year will be compatible with the new MK3 space marines and any upcoming armour MK updates.

It would be silly if it weren't, it gives GW the ability to make new armor marks and say "look, the weapon bits work for ALL of them"

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

Helmets have spikes, there are volkite; I think its just an upgrade kit for the older boxes.

The armor is noticeably different in many ways, face plate, knees and legs, poses, the vents on the power packs. Definitely not an ugprade!

For anyone who wants to see a more 360 view of the new mk3s. I think the Fafnir Rann model uses all the new design cues. (also implying the design has been done for quite a while). 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/horus-heresy-imperial-fists-fafnir-rann-2022

Knees, elbows, belly armor, gorget, helmet and backpack all seem similar. 

Edited by matcap86

It seems kind of strange to redesign the Mk III when the Mk IV are so stubby next to the MK VI (I still love the IV’s though) and we have yet to see Marks II and my beloved V.

That said, Mk III is such an iconic armor and contrasts from 40k power armor a lot; maybe a redesign isn’t a bad idea.  Plastic Deredededeo I am all for though!

It looks like they want to make mark III compatible with the new plastic upgrade sprues. If they sell I expect them to update mark IV too. I speculate we will lose the special weapons and melee weapons from the current sprue, and get updated ones like with the mark VI, I really hope I'm wrong.

The new design is fine, I don't dislike it. But better to get at least one box of the old sculps, I don't like much the spike on the helmets.

Guest Triszin
2 minutes ago, Gederas said:

Yeah, that's a new Deredeo as well. I'm looking at mine and the Autocannons on the image there are different than mine

Also, they aren't warped

1 minute ago, Mana said:

It looks like they want to make mark III compatible with the new plastic upgrade sprues. If they sell I expect them to update mark IV too. I speculate we will lose the special weapons and melee weapons from the current sprue, and get updated ones like with the mark VI, I really hope I'm wrong.

The new design is fine, I don't dislike it. But better to get at least one box of the old sculps, I don't like much the spike on the helmets.

Yeah, I just noticed the Volkites are the exact same ones as the new plastic upgrade ones.

They also seem to have the same arm poses....

I think I'm good with MkIIIs for my 30k armies, but, if these new MkIII are taller minis they could make some really cool 'Iron Within' inspired Iron Warriors for 40k!

I saw someone with an interesting idea on a FB group that this could be a combination kit that allows for MkII/MkIII. There could be MkIII panels in the box that when glued onto a MkII base turns them into MkIII. I think it's a cool (albeit farfetched) idea, but it is interesting that those models are pictured with MkII helmets. 

Do we think that image posted could be the smaller horus heresy boxset to replace age of darkness? Some marines, a LR, and a Deredeo in a box would be pretty dope! 

6 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

These look great, but I don't much like the helmet spikes. Dilutes the 30k Death Guard aesthetic a bit if everyone wears them, and I don't think they're going to look right on some legions.

On the other hand, swap some of those heads out and these will be incredibly good for Badab enthusiasts.

So artwork has consistently shown the pickelhauben type helmets were used by everyone. The Death Guard just had the most because theming

2 hours ago, No Foes Remain said:

As I said in the roadmap thread, not a fan and they'll probably cut bits back in comparison to the current kit. Also is it me or do those bolters look a bit off towards the barrel?

The bolters look a lot like the fat barreled death guard ones

I’m not sure how I feel on the new aesthetic to be honest, it seems to deviate somewhat from the official artwork/source material thus far and the helmet spikes becoming generic infringes on what was hitherto a defining characteristic of the Death Guard. 

To second others, MKII would have been a much more welcome addition.

There is also the slight issue of the upscaling; the new MKVI infantry and praetors are so large compared to older models. For someone who has dozens of current MKIII I’m concerned how small they will be in comparison to the new MKIII.

3 minutes ago, Gederas said:

So artwork has consistently shown the pickelhauben type helmets were used by everyone. The Death Guard just had the most because theming

It was only a thing with early RT mk2-3 metal minis and Visions art. In 40k and the W's IA/HH series, pickelhaubes have been the DG distinct visual feature since decades ago. It dillutes their unique look based in WW1 trench fighters and plague bearers.

Loving these! Fan armour is absolutely beautiful! It’s a great update! 

While slightly strange I can get why they’re doing MKIII first it’s clearly one of the more popular armour MK’s! Cant wait to do a 40k Boarding assault force in these 

The Deredeo coming too plastic is also amazing news it’s easily become my favourite Dreadnought 

1 hour ago, sockwithaticket said:

The whole armour is substantially different to the current Mk.III plastics.

Yeh it looks much more futuristic if that makes sense? I really like it 

17 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

I wonder how they will do heavy weapons? Maybe a MKIII arm sprue? 

I suspect they want to do new versions of mk3  and mk4 to use with them the new weapon sprues and remove the old resin kits.

It’s one image but they look amazing! Really love the design. They look like they have great proportions too. As others have said it looks like they're using weapons from the special weapon sprues, hopefully this means that they can use the bolt guns from the MKVI kit. 

yeah, the more I look at these the more I’m a fan!

1 hour ago, Etruscan said:

There is also the slight issue of the upscaling; the new MKVI infantry and praetors are so large compared to older models. For someone who has dozens of current MKIII I’m concerned how small they will be in comparison to the new MKIII.

This is completely a non-issue...

The size of the models is not going to have any impact on the played game and there aren't going to be any opponent who refuse to play against someone with slightly smaller models. The size-ism is becoming annoyingly over dramatized. The MkIII/MkIV marines as they are aren't even that much smaller than the new MkVI and look fine next to each other in the same army. Heroes have been larger for a very long time and it was never a big deal. 

19 minutes ago, Master Commander Ajax said:

It’s one image but they look amazing! Really love the design. They look like they have great proportions too. As others have said it looks like they're using weapons from the special weapon sprues, hopefully this means that they can use the bolt guns from the MKVI kit. 

yeah, the more I look at these the more I’m a fan!

Yep, love it too. I really like the old MK3 and there are already many variation so happy to see another and done so well. Much of the existing MK3 was great but with newer digital scuplting and manufacturing capabilities the bodies mainly were showing their age. I think they will still convert well and with tweaks the core design will still blend with the older designs like the big belly plate so prevalent with the death guard.   

4 minutes ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

This is completely a non-issue...

The size of the models is not going to have any impact on the played game and there aren't going to be any opponent who refuse to play against someone with slightly smaller models. The size-ism is becoming annoyingly over dramatized. The MkIII/MkIV marines as they are aren't even that much smaller than the new MkVI and look fine next to each other in the same army. Heroes have been larger for a very long time and it was never a big deal. 

You cant dismiss someones opinion or preference on aesthetics. The size difference is quite visible, and just as noticeable as different tones of paint. To many that matters, especially so for heresy where there is a bigger weighting of modelers vs players compared to other GW games. I dont have any mk3 or 4 in my Heresy army as it was started with mk6 and i dislike the size difference.