Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

3 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Has this image already been posted? It shows how GW already had upscaled and upgraded normal Mk3 with the DA Interemptors. They just needed to make a generic version of them in plastic:

Yup that's the design we needed. Alas. 

Edit: Another (bad imho) change is the move of the lower arm armour. Before it overlapped the hand, now it barely covers the wrist which gives it a weird spindly look. All the individual design choices just don't work together. Shoulderpads to big, center of gravity of the bolter hangs too far forward making it look more like a shotgun, (also the weird two different barrel hole sizes). Man, I'm so very disappointed. MK3 used to be my favorite armour type, which got me in the heresy and now I can't even get a set of the older ones to round my force out. 

Edited by matcap86

I actually like the cleaner Mark III, as it harkens back to the diagrams in the old How to paint your Space Marines book long before Forge World began to touch upon the earlier armour marks. With that in mind, it'd be neat if Mark II, IV and V reflected the art in there as well.

Mk2_crusade_armor_200.jpgMk4_maximus_armor_200.jpgMk5_heresy_armor_200.jpg

I wonder if they will make another arm-sprue for the heavy weapons for MKIII? The special weapons fit directly on the included arms so no problem but the heavy weapons need different arms and the currently included ones are MKVI. They'll probably just ignore that and say just use these but would still look off

Edited by Matrindur

Yeah I don't know about these  

Am I glad we are getting more? Yes 

Do I care about the repeat poses with MKVI, eh. Not really but it would've been nice to not have the exact same 

Do I care about the spikes? I don't like them so I'll just cut them off, easy enough  

My problem is with backwards compatibility in a sense. MKVI looked very similar for my eyes with the previous version, so even though there was a height difference they still worked. The MK3 are a very different aesthetic than the old ones, I'd get them for my Iron Warriors but now they're taller, and don't look like the others to boot. Idk, I guess they could be artificer armor or something but it leaves me torn

I don't hate them, but I don't think they're an improvement on the old design. I think if they'd just upscaled the existing MKIII there'd be grumblings about scale creep, but overall it was so a well loved kit they couldn't have gone wrong bettering the proportions and just calling it a day.

These are... fine? I guess? But they're not clicking the way the 'old' ones do. The loss of overlapping plates on the legs is a weird decision.

Edited by Lord Marshal

3 hours ago, matcap86 said:

Wow now seeing the new sculpts detailed I'm very disappointed. The first time I think the HH2.0 version of a kit is a significant downgrade. The bolter and feet look off and the chest piece just looks bloated instead of archaic.

3FJEBeuXyr61jeVe.jpg

I partially blame the painting style. Upscaling them created a lot more 'flat' areas on the armor and there's not enough texture, weathering, or markings to break up the space when looking at them straight-on. The Iron Warrior, I think, is the best because it has the at least a bit of that going on. I think the "bloated" look works if one thinks of it as an additional front armour piece over MkII banded armor. I think that's what MkIII is supposed to be?

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I actually like the cleaner Mark III, as it harkens back to the diagrams in the old How to paint your Space Marines book long before Forge World began to touch upon the earlier armour marks. With that in mind, it'd be neat if Mark II, IV and V reflected the art in there as well.

Mk2_crusade_armor_200.jpgMk4_maximus_armor_200.jpgMk5_heresy_armor_200.jpg

I can actually say for sure based on some acquired knowledge MK 2 (michelin man legs) and MK 4 (groin plate) will be using elements of that art I can't speak for old iron diaper MK 5 but one can hope based on the retro elements that are returning and have returned. I would definitely not be surprised if a plastic mark 5 turned out to be the wierdest and most retro rework of the bunch.

11 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

I think if they'd just upscaled the existing MKIII there'd be grumblings about scale creep, but overall it was so a well loved kit they couldn't have gone wrong bettering the proportions and just calling it a day.

That is all they needed to do. They didn't need to mess with the basic design elements. 

They upscaled the new loyalist terminators but kept them stylistically the same. They should have done the same with Mk III. 

37 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

I don't hate them, but I don't think they're an improvement on the old design. I think if they'd just upscaled the existing MKIII there'd be grumblings about scale creep, but overall it was so a well loved kit they couldn't have gone wrong bettering the proportions and just calling it a day.

These are... fine? I guess? But they're not clicking the way the 'old' ones do. The loss of overlapping plates on the legs is a weird decision.

I think the decision was made in mind to make it feasible to do MK II in injection plastic molding. So it's odd when we see it first on MK III, but it started with a redesign of parts of MK II.

13 minutes ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

As already said, like other models, these could look quite different when not in an 'Eavy Metal' style.

Metal Mickey looks a bit sad.

Wouldn't you also be sad if you had to fight the Legions you were formerly fighting beside? Oh no, wait, he's a Space Wolf he's probably stoked.

1 hour ago, The Spitehorde said:

They upscaled the new loyalist terminators but kept them stylistically the same. They should have done the same with Mk III. 

It also goes stylistically against 40k minis like the DG range in MkIII, it makes no sense and I fear what they are going to do with MkIV

3 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Agree with others that something is...off... with these. I  think the older mk3 kit has the better aesthetic, these might take time to grow on me. It'll go faster if they release some damn boarding shields. 

I await the inevitable when Breachers in plastic are finally released and people start saying "I would buy them but the rules need a buff" and "this is another IF release in diguise".