Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

I like the look of the new MKIII over the older models so I don't mind the re-design, I'm not sure it was really necessary but I'm not going to complain. Much more excited for the Deredeo, I love the aesthetic of the 30k dreads and both the Leviathan and Contemptor kits are fantastic so I'm very excited for their gunned up sibling to join them in lovely lovely plastic.

Surprised by this but very excited! I picked up some Mark VI Power Armour to stand in for Kill-Team Firstborn and they're beautiful models but it will be great to get some similarly scaled models in a different mark to mix things up.

Do the helmets look particularly Mark II to anyone else though? Agree the armour looks very Mark III but the helmets look Mark II to me.

I was hoping for mark II, but this is an unexpected yet pleasant surprise. Love mark III but was not expecting to see a new kit this soon with mk II/V still not out yet. I think this will be the excuse I need to get a Fists army up and running.

Thought it was odd they'd redo MKIII already, and the only thing that makes sense to me is that re-portioning Space Marines wasn't just to have cooler minis going forward, but a massive refresh to the Space Marine across all games and armies to eradicate silly, squatty Space Marines from the brand entirety for maximum pop culture appeal.

Edited by Wispy

6 hours ago, Hungry Nostraman Lizard said:

The volkite caliver is the exact same one from the special weapons box

It would be silly if it weren't, it gives GW the ability to make new armor marks and say "look, the weapon bits work for ALL of them"

The armor is noticeably different in many ways, face plate, knees and legs, poses, the vents on the power packs. Definitely not an ugprade!

Well they could have made the weapons compatible with the older kits from the start. Like the ones from forgeworld except in plastic. The extra arms and stuff were not needer. It could have been underslung weapons but hey we HAVE to get shiny new stuff that only work with the other shinew new stuff i guess...

1 hour ago, Wispy said:

Thought it was odd they'd redo MKIII already, and the only thing that makes sense to me is that re-portioning Space Marines wasn't just to have cooler minis going forward, but a massive refresh to the Space Marine across all games and armies to eradicate silly, squatty Space Marines from the brand entirety for maximum pop culture appeal.

If in polite tongue, you mean moving to a different scale and proportions without a ball joint, then it's still an odd choice.

MK IV is noticeably shorter than MK III, which is somewhat halfway between the older and newer scales.

I'm still happy with a rescale of either, but my preference would be for the older and more out of scale MK IV kit. This may be the fastest we've seen a plastic kit get replaced though, at what, like 6 years?

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

9 hours ago, Doghouse said:

I knew I shouldn't have just basecoated 60 mk vi Iron Warriors...

Guess they are destined to be Inductii now.

I personally am glad of the new version though, the old guys served their time well but don't really fit in to me.

Haha yeah good thing mark 6 are pretty lore friendly as Inductii. I like the new retro sub marks but I also have files to print really really awesome mark 2 and 3 in the older style with new proportions and bodysuit design, the mark 3 also have all the variant details the deathguard 40k models have so everything is just coming up Milhouse for me.

I'm really interested to see how retro they go when they get to the mark 5's (Iron diaper and mass of chest cables) and I'm willing to bet the mark 4's won't be much of a departure from the current design since weve seen the tank commander for sons of horus and yeah he's pretty much normal mark 4. Fun times.

1 hour ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

If in polite tongue, you mean moving to a different scale and proportions without a ball joint, then it's still an odd choice.

MK IV is noticeably shorter than MK III, which is somewhat halfway between the older and newer scales.

I'm still happy with a rescale of either, but my preference would be for the older and more out of scale MK IV kit. This may be the fastest we've seen a plastic kit get replaced though, at what, like 6 years?

Just wanna mention it might not be too long a wait for new mark 4 given the SoH Tank Commander appears to be in it. The STL files are likely all done and were just waiting for thier best time to be released. Whenever GW decides that will be but at least we know they definitely are coming eventually. I actually imagine Mark 3 and 4 have Jumped the que over mark 2 just to get the old scale kits out of the way since they aren't compatible with the new upgrades sets.

4 hours ago, KurtanionNZ said:

Surprised by this but very excited! I picked up some Mark VI Power Armour to stand in for Kill-Team Firstborn and they're beautiful models but it will be great to get some similarly scaled models in a different mark to mix things up.

Do the helmets look particularly Mark II to anyone else though? Agree the armour looks very Mark III but the helmets look Mark II to me.

Yeah they aren't far off. I think they dropped the reinforced face plate so they basically are the rounded eye type but with a helmet spike.

I'm gonna have to buy some of the old MKIII before they disappear and wrap up my Iron Warriors. I'm ok with the size difference between armies but not in the same army. It would make my brain itch.

Nice looking models though and pleased to see them on the way.

10 hours ago, AGRAMAR said:

The only thing I fear with the remade of MK 3 and 4(?) it's the sprues will be stripped of heavy and special weapons.

In the other hand a plastic Deredeo is more than welcomed to me.

To be fair the original kits werent Tactical marines but Veterans wich is why they had those weapons in the first place.

9 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Well, what I meant, even though the the Burning of Prospero came out in 2016, it looks it's aged very badly in a short period of time. Even the MKIV looks like it's aged better to me.

New Mk VI compared to MkIII, MkIV and Primaris. Scaled each base (32mm) to  be the same size and set to lead foot on the line. : r/Warhammer30k

As to your point that MKIV is even shorter, yes, but I feel like it's better for the Heresy product line to have great looking MKIII's, as they're the most iconic Horus Heresy armour in my mind. You know you're the Horus Heresy when you see whole squads in iron amour.

10 hours ago, arnesh88 said:

I have a feeling that one of the “upgrades” in winter/spring next year is going to be Breacher squad shields

Pretty much guaranteed ; note how the new Phobos-pattern bolters now have rounded foregrips (that would perfectly slot into a Fafnir Rann-style boarding shield).

The 1M question however will be if they'll make this (hypothetical at this point) upgrade kit in plastic or resin (shudders..)