Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

18 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Yes the models look great, but as someone who has a decently sized IW army, all built in MK3, it's now a decision point of whether I buy new ones, or buy up the old ones. Again, the new ones look good, but I like my marine heights to match in the army, with the exception of characters which I can deal with

Suggest buying a box to see how big the height difference really is. Also, take a look at how notably it really is if you have a force made up by old and new kit marines if you spread them out. To my understanding is it often not that notable.

On the subject of the Deredeo Dread - I’m really hoping with see the Errant Automantic Pavaise make a return after going missing since 2016/17?

The part was clearly already designed and I love the look and lore behind it 

65193AD9-3DB9-4D74-9A04-8E54AC3C01E0.png

Edited by WARMASTER_

Another thing that I noticed while looking at my own pile of opportunity is that FW sneaked a lot of these new mk3 design elements into models that have been out a while: the Interremptors

With the updated knees and elbows and the skull/iconography at the belly being the most visible. With the kit in hand the interremptor helmets are also a bit more truescale (I.e. smaller) than regular mk3s. So them either being a variant of MK3 or the natural evolution of the armour modelwise isn't too weird imho. 

Interremptor comparison.png

6 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

Another thing that I noticed while looking at my own pile of opportunity is that FW sneaked a lot of these new mk3 design elements into models that have been out a while: the Interremptors

With the updated knees and elbows and the skull/iconography at the belly being the most visible. With the kit in hand the interremptor helmets are also a bit more truescale (I.e. smaller) than regular mk3s. So them either being a variant of MK3 or the natural evolution of the armour modelwise isn't too weird imho. 

Interremptor comparison.png

Elbow joints are a closer match, but still not the same as those on Fafnir.  I think those are more taking aspects from various art to add details to the model, than any preview of a new design/interpretation of MK3.

The knees on the interremptor shown is older style round pad, quite different to the style seen on Fafnir which is more squared off, see the highlight lines either side of the central portion on the new version pic. Also the feet on the new ones are flat topped vs the central peak of the original.

24 minutes ago, dickyelsdon said:

Elbow joints are a closer match, but still not the same as those on Fafnir.  I think those are more taking aspects from various art to add details to the model, than any preview of a new design/interpretation of MK3.

The knees on the interremptor shown is older style round pad, quite different to the style seen on Fafnir which is more squared off, see the highlight lines either side of the central portion on the new version pic. Also the feet on the new ones are flat topped vs the central peak of the original.

Aye not a one for one, but the plastic mk3s have a band running around the knees, while these have a clear hinge, while maintaining the more round front piece. So feels a bit like an inbetween of the two designs. The plastic mk3 has a band superimposed on the other armour plates at the back of the knee, while Fafnir and the interremptor have a hinge with the connector in between the armour plates.

Looking at these designs side by side, I do hope the new ones retain the more layered look and the rivets of the old design, compared to Fafnir, his looks a bit too "clean".

knee-parison.png

Edited by matcap86
Edit now with pictures, because I'm bored at work.

3 hours ago, WARMASTER_ said:

On the subject of the Deredeo Dread - I’m really hoping with see the Errant Automatic Pavaise make a return after going missing since 2016/17?

65193AD9-3DB9-4D74-9A04-8E54AC3C01E0.png

What's the lore?

Guest Triszin

lore:

The Atomantic Pavaise was developed by the Clave Nuathac sub-cult Magos of the forge world of Anvilus with zone mortalis operations in mind, with the idea of turning the Deredeo Dreadnought into a mobile bulwark against the heaviest enemy weapons fire. This reinforced shield increases the Deredeo's own already formidable armour and shielding, and provides protection to nearby friendly units.

I.e.

A dread developed for heavy support, with a dome shield to support local infantry efforts

16 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Haha yeah good thing mark 6 are pretty lore friendly as Inductii. I like the new retro sub marks but I also have files to print really really awesome mark 2 and 3 in the older style with new proportions and bodysuit design, the mark 3 also have all the variant details the deathguard 40k models have so everything is just coming up Milhouse for me.

I'm really interested to see how retro they go when they get to the mark 5's (Iron diaper and mass of chest cables) and I'm willing to bet the mark 4's won't be much of a departure from the current design since weve seen the tank commander for sons of horus and yeah he's pretty much normal mark 4. Fun times.

I'm excited for MK V, eventually. Those helmets are truly badass. 

16 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Just wanna mention it might not be too long a wait for new mark 4 given the SoH Tank Commander appears to be in it. The STL files are likely all done and were just waiting for thier best time to be released. Whenever GW decides that will be but at least we know they definitely are coming eventually. I actually imagine Mark 3 and 4 have Jumped the que over mark 2 just to get the old scale kits out of the way since they aren't compatible with the new upgrades sets.

Nice catch on the mk IV commander, somehow missed that!

7 hours ago, WARMASTER_ said:

On the subject of the Deredeo Dread - I’m really hoping with see the Errant Automantic Pavaise make a return after going missing since 2016/17?

Some how I doubt it since it's not an option in the army list entry anymore. 

I look at this Fafnir type as a later developed mark made to be mark 3 rather than an upgrade it altered the design as much as it borrows from the original. But I geuss we'll see when they actually release a mark 2 kit if it has those retro boring leg bands or not. 

2 hours ago, Hungry Nostraman Lizard said:

I'm excited for MK V, eventually. Those helmets are truly badass. 

Nice catch on the mk IV commander, somehow missed that!

There's Exodus and the Ultramarines Preator all of these are super fancy but I figure there's a working model for a new mark 4 already done. The SoH preator is rescaled but his details are the same as the old ones undersuit, backpack, super slim legs. Exodus and the Preator have alot in common bulkyness of the legs new backpack design same feet. So yeah def a working prototype being used to make them.

1 hour ago, Irongert said:

Some how I doubt it since it's not an option in the army list entry anymore. 

Nothings stopping them adding it after the fact they do it all the time with every game system, it’s not in the rules now because the part wasn’t released is all 

Models are always the primary and rules secondary 

It would be a strange omission to me as it’s clearly already CAD designed 

6 minutes ago, WARMASTER_ said:

Nothings stopping them adding it after the fact they do it all the time with every game system, it’s not in the rules now because the part wasn’t released is all 

Models are always the primary and rules secondary 

It would be a strange omission to me as it’s clearly already CAD designed 

True enough but considering that other models such as the Arquitor already have the "extra new plastic side sponson options"  included in their entry it makes me think that the pavaise won't make a comeback. If it was going to be an option I would have expected it to be in the book already. With the lead times it most likely was something they would have known about already when starting the design proces. I'd love to be wrong though since I always loved the idea of the pavaise. 

10 hours ago, Marshal Loss said:

Love the updated Mark III. I wonder if this means they're considering updating e.g. the Tartaros kit, which looks positively puny now, or if they're just going to redo the III & IV.

Every new terminator they release I keep an eye out for new design features, Evander Garrius definitely is not made from the same template and has similar features to the newer models like the back of his legs has no overlapping bands like the Rann style new mark 3 so I imagine the terminators are as much on the books to be replaced as the Mark 3 and 4 are. As soon as they are redone they can go about retiring weapon upgrades from FW.

59 minutes ago, Irongert said:

True enough but considering that other models such as the Arquitor already have the "extra new plastic side sponson options"  included in their entry it makes me think that the pavaise won't make a comeback. If it was going to be an option I would have expected it to be in the book already. With the lead times it most likely was something they would have known about already when starting the design proces. I'd love to be wrong though since I always loved the idea of the pavaise. 

It’s a good point though I wouldn’t give up hope just yet! As I say rules are always a secondary consideration.

The new unknown Primarch sculpt will have to have rules added also and with the Campaign books they’re set to release I imagine that where updated rules will find their homes like with the new Character and Decurion sculpts we’ve seen 

I strongly suspect the “First Wave” of HH was accounted for in the rulebook but anything after than is up in the air 

Edited by WARMASTER_

49 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Every new terminator they release I keep an eye out for new design features, Evander Garrius definitely is not made from the same template and has similar features to the newer models like the back of his legs has no overlapping bands like the Rann style new mark 3 so I imagine the terminators are as much on the books to be replaced as the Mark 3 and 4 are. As soon as they are redone they can go about retiring weapon upgrades from FW.

Agreed! The Imperial Fist Tartaros Praetor is huge compared to the older Tartaros Sculpts so I imagine they’re already working off update CAD’s for all the MK’s at the point even if we aren’t seeing full plastic kits 

I'm happy to get upscaled Mk. III, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new design.  I was hoping than Rann's armor was just a one-off artificer variant, but it seems like he was a precursor to the redesign.  The old Mk. III was perfect to me other, than the slightly smaller scale.  I was hoping that the eventual new version would essentially just elongate the thighs to make them taller, similar to the DA Interemptors.  The new 40k Death Guard sculpts seemed based off the current design were *chef's kiss* to me too.  I don't love how they've changed the kneepads, the armor trim, and added the skulls on the belt.  Part of what I liked about the old/current Mk. III was that the scale of the trim was so thin/fine.  It was kind of a pain to paint, but it made the sense of scale seem more realistic to me.  The new trim looks wonky and too thick/a bit more cartoony; it reminds me of the trim on the first generation of the Tortuga Bay Mk. III marines, which had the same problem.  These ones seem to be a departure not only from the previous models, but all of the FW art plates, as well - which I don't like.  The lack of the "tilted" armor plates on the back of Rann's legs definitely worries me for both these and the hopefully eventual Mk. II, also.

On the positive side, I do like how these appear to be compatible with the new special weapons.  And I wonder if GW will drop new Mk. IV along with these too.  Replacing them and making them special weapon compatible ASAP would seem to make sense.  And those are even smaller than the current Mk. III, and that along with the rumors about Mks. II and V being done for a long time now, make me wonder what's next for them. 

14 hours ago, Old-Four-Arms said:

Pretty much guaranteed ; note how the new Phobos-pattern bolters now have rounded foregrips (that would perfectly slot into a Fafnir Rann-style boarding shield).

The 1M question however will be if they'll make this (hypothetical at this point) upgrade kit in plastic or resin (shudders..)

I hope they don't make the boarding shields like Rann's.  I LOVE the current ones and would be sad if they get replaced.  They perfectly encapsulated the Heresy aesthetic for me.  But reasonable minds can definitely differ on all of this.

1 hour ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

You know what I forgot Sual Tarvitz. He's got the newer backpack type and feet thicker arms and legs. His torso is mark 2 based though like the Reaver pattern armour but still def made from a newer template.

His torso is mk iv artificer. I really don't see any mk ii in there?

14 minutes ago, Aarik said:

I'm happy to get upscaled Mk. III, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new design.  I was hoping than Rann's armor was just a one-off artificer variant, but it seems like he was a precursor to the redesign.  The old Mk. III was perfect to me other, than the slightly smaller scale.  I was hoping that the eventual new version would essentially just elongate the thighs to make them taller, similar to the DA Interemptors.  The new 40k Death Guard sculpts seemed based off the current design were *chef's kiss* to me too.  I don't love how they've changed the kneepads, the armor trim, and added the skulls on the belt.  Part of what I liked about the old/current Mk. III was that the scale of the trim was so thin/fine.  It was kind of a pain to paint, but it made the sense of scale seem more realistic to me.  The new trim looks wonky and too thick/a bit more cartoony; it reminds me of the trim on the first generation of the Tortuga Bay Mk. III marines, which had the same problem.  These ones seem to be a departure not only from the previous models, but all of the FW art plates, as well - which I don't like.  The lack of the "tilted" armor plates on the back of Rann's legs definitely worries me for both these and the hopefully eventual Mk. II, also.

On the positive side, I do like how these appear to be compatible with the new special weapons.  And I wonder if GW will drop new Mk. IV along with these too.  Replacing them and making them special weapon compatible ASAP would seem to make sense.  And those are even smaller than the current Mk. III, and that along with the rumors about Mks. II and V being done for a long time now, make me wonder what's next for them. 

I hope they don't make the boarding shields like Rann's.  I LOVE the current ones and would be sad if they get replaced.  They perfectly encapsulated the Heresy aesthetic for me.  But reasonable minds can definitely differ on all of this.

Absolutely the shields will be like Rann's and likely will share the arms from the heavy weapon and despoiler upgrades as they seem to be generic for every mark. Better to embrace these newer retro armour variants or invest in a 3-d printer cuase there are some very very cool designs based on the older style in the new proportions and scale from some very talented designers. There's alot more garbage designs too though so beware. lol

2 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

His torso is mk iv artificer. I really don't see any mk ii in there?

Take a look at the back. Like the reavers it's a mk 4 style armour plate on a mk 2 back. Everything else is mk 4. It's a hybrid type and is very early war.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

7 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Can you take the deredeo in a ZM list ? These new mk III would pair nicely with the new ZM rules, strange the release is so late after the fact. 

At the moment no the biggest base size is 60mm and Deredeo’s are on 80mm 

But yeh agreed, love ZM!

Edited by WARMASTER_

I love mkIII, but the new design (in particular the helm) just looks off in the context of the old models, like an odd mix of III and II. Of course, have to wait for better pictures of the model to really know

EDIT: is there any chance this new kit could actually be a combined mkII and mkIII kit? With the helm, elbows and knees changing, it seems plausible to me that the extra armoured plates could be add-ons over the underlying kit, just like mkIII is in the lore when compared to mkII? If that turns out to be the case, I may change my mind a bit, as it would become a very versatile kit allowing people to mix and match armoured portions far more than the current mkIII

Edited by Doctor Perils