Deathwing Knights Leak

Ultimately it is personal taste, but I very much think that GW went too far with some of the iconography and bling on old kits.

The older Sternguard come to mind. They looked a bit like Chtistmas trees. The new kit, through a slight reduction in extra bits and better scaling, looks far superior.

I prefer the new Deathwing Knights. They look more imposing and threatening. 

10 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I prefer the new Deathwing Knights. They look more imposing and threatening. 

None of the new ones look as threatening as this sinister bugger.

2 hours ago, MoriyaSchism said:

hooded rebreather head.PNG

This is what I mean when I say they lost some of their character; the new ones look like the standard Terminator kit given loin cloths. The old ones looked like badass warrior monks ready to stove your head in in complete silence. And the one shown above isn't significantly more blingy than the new ones at all; it's got two shin ornaments instead of one. That's it.

15 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

This is what I mean when I say they lost some of their character; the new ones look like the standard Terminator kit given loin cloths. The old ones looked like badass warrior monks ready to stove your head in in complete silence. And the one shown above isn't significantly more blingy than the new ones at all; it's got two shin ornaments instead of one. That's it.

The head thing could be fixed with a change of rebreather or a different choice of head. I recently got a couple of the Nurgle Deathshroud hooded cataphractii helmets to clean up and experiment with. After cleaning they could be a good fit for this kit. Looking at these new Knights I noticed that they lack the sensor array that's usually present on all Indomitus terminators, the same array was missing on the recently released terminator Chaplain.

Edited by MoriyaSchism

24 minutes ago, infyrana said:

Can someone kindly provide a run down of all the Deathwing kits currently available and their 'size' comparison .. ie what's old school, what's new first born and what's primaris please?  I am a little confused :)

This blog post has the best terminator scale comparison. Currently the only Deathwing kit out at the moment is the Deathwing Command/Knights dual kit. The only other Dark Angels terminator kit I can think of are the Knights Cenobium from the Horus Heresy range. The new Deathwing Knights are in the same scale as the recently released 10th edition terminators.

The real star of the show here is the new Watcher in the Dark, soon I'll be able to field a whole squad!

Still really pleased for with these, the level of detail is just about right for me though I think one or two sets of legs could have used some fancy-ness on the greaves. The leg detail on the old set was a bit hit or miss but something like the old squad leader had would have been very welcome. I'll probably skip these helmets, I think they look really good and will be great for Grey Knight and Black Templar conversion but I don't like them more than the normal Indomitus helmets so I shall stick with those for one squad. Really like the new designs on the shields that we can see.

2 hours ago, infyrana said:

Can someone kindly provide a run down of all the Deathwing kits currently available and their 'size' comparison .. ie what's old school, what's new first born and what's primaris please?  I am a little confused :)

The only ones in Primaris scale are these, everything else is not in the new scale.

I like them a lot, I’d say they’re best Terminator variant models out there currently. Would probably look even better painted in one of the darker successor schemes like Disciples of Caliban, or a halved/quartered scheme. Makes me wish I had more time to build and paint. Also makes me wish World Eaters got a Terminator variant instead of Eightbound, but that ship has sailed.

I really like the new helmets. Hooded helmets are fine but the ching things are strange. I prefer the old maces for sure as they were more unique and stood out. The new maces look fine. A bit bland but large and nice looking still. Im wondering if the old shields and new shields will be roughly the same size. It would be nice to mix them all together.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:11 AM, Robbienw said:

These are cool, but again there are a couple of issues which are annoying.

No DA iconography on the greaves - this has been a  feature of all deathwing terminators previously, looks wrong without it.

Whilst cool, the Swords are a bit generic space marine.  At least some of the swords should have had the DA style leaf shape ends.

The chin bar on the hooded bare head is irritating.  Detracts from the sinister hooded bare head look a bit.

Lastly, no flail!  Hopefully it’s still in there and just wasn’t shown.

While I can see what you mean, I'm actually very glad that there is so much plain space on the greaves because now I can use all those gorgeous Dark Angels transfers on them :)

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I predict that they will get a Terminator unit this edition, and that the unit was held back so they would have a new model kit in 10th!

I hope you’re right. The rumor at launch was that there was a character that was completed, but held back. If so, this would almost certainly be a butcher-surgeon, as butcher-surgeons are mentioned multiple times in the new fluff, but have no rules or models. If GW wants to be lazy, they will just drop the butcher-surgeon with the 10th ed codex.

But I’d be really happy to get a unique Terminator variant. That’s all I really wanted from them making WE standalone, since TS have one, and DG have two. I love Terminators. 

Just now, Kastor Krieg said:

Hm, the helmets look very much... Grey Knights.

The forehead and eye section is similar, but the angles of the face plate aren't right. The Grey Knights Paladin lower face plate sticks out a lot and curves up a bit, while the Brotherhood Terminator helmet has a face plate with a sharp nose point and plates that curve slightly inward. These don't feel right as Grey Knights, I think they would look off.

They're very reminiscent of what I'd expect from 30k Dark Angels, with the trim on the helmet.

Deathwing Companions, Interemptors, the Dreadnoughts, etc. Lots of instances of that center metallic trim pieces on helmets in that model range.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

5 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I predict that they will get a Terminator unit this edition, and that the unit was held back so they would have a new model kit in 10th!

Sure, maybe/probably.

It doesnt change how limited their release was.