Astartes MKVI Assault Marines

Just now, Marshal Loss said:

Very keen to finally get my hands on those plastic assault beakies. Hope that they're somehow released this year!

Warcom has said multiple times they're supposed to be out this year. (Though... it's warcom, so take that as you will)

2 minutes ago, Xirix said:

Warcom has said multiple times they're supposed to be out this year. (Though... it's warcom, so take that as you will)

Don't recall warcom saying that. They where shown on the road map for winter and that doesn't start until Dec 22nd. They don't do models like that for the christmas preorder so early Jan at the earliest for preorder. 

Edited by Waaagh?

20 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Overall the Assault marines look good.... Except the hideous jump packs, the proportions feel really stretched on them :(  Still, its an easy fix to print one of the nicer designs.

I actually love that they changed the jump pack from Zephon's design. The stubby thrusters are cool and unique I don't feel like i'm looking at a mash up of mk 2 and 40k mk 12 jump packs. 

3 minutes ago, TheHaplessHeretic said:

I'll need to put on some clown makeup the next time I expect the HH mystery army release to be revealed in one of these shows.

We all knew it would be the assault marines.

1 hour ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I actually love that they changed the jump pack from Zephon's design. The stubby thrusters are cool and unique I don't feel like i'm looking at a mash up of mk 2 and 40k mk 12 jump packs. 

From the shadowy shot of the back, the jump packs look awful from the back.  As they're going to be in my army, I have no desire to stare at this. Like the other frater I'll be having printed packs that are akin to this classic style.

The assault marines I kitbashed with the mkvi have printed jump packs and they look infinitely better than the plastic horrors we're about to see. To each their own but they seem pretty ugly to me.image.png.897b5efbd83fcb435e870bd7a0e2779b.png

image.thumb.png.dfacaf64f690d025e7e29f38d6514a35.png

image.thumb.png.3c9eb6c65ab8d05155e07f82e4839ac5.png

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

Overall the Assault marines look good.... Except the hideous jump packs, the proportions feel really stretched on them :(  Still, its an easy fix to print one of the nicer designs.

image.png.5626e171261f7e72be06b74fe17ba06a.pngI have these on my kitbashed mkvi. Depending on seeing a clear back picture of the new ones, I'll be doing the same again.

Just now, Marshal Rohr said:

Still wild to me the scheduling idiots have let Age of Darkness go almost two years without Breachers, recon, or assault marines. 

Fingers crossed 2024 is the year of infantry. We already know there's a command squad and melee upgrade kit coming in plastic mid next year. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Still wild to me the scheduling idiots have let Age of Darkness go almost two years without Breachers, recon, or assault marines. 

Assuming they release january then the only new infantry we've had this year are the mkiii which functionally are no different to where we've been since heresy 1.0. 

Bonkers though. Most of us would snap their hands off for plastic assault marines and breachers. Really is a no brainer.

5 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

From the shadowy shot of the back, the jump packs look awful from the back.  As they're going to be in my army, I have no desire to stare at this. Like the other frater I'll be having printed packs that are akin to this classic style.

The jump packs seem to be inspired by some of the old Chaos ones. The old jump pack Chaos Lord comes to mind.

33 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

The assault marines I kitbashed with the mkvi have printed jump packs and they look infinitely better than the plastic horrors we're about to see. To each their own but they seem pretty ugly to me.image.png.897b5efbd83fcb435e870bd7a0e2779b.png

image.thumb.png.dfacaf64f690d025e7e29f38d6514a35.png

image.thumb.png.3c9eb6c65ab8d05155e07f82e4839ac5.png

Again I love it. I love variety, I have a printer and a ton of hoarded stl's and can print anything but this is also awesome and will look dope as :cuss: on my blood angels mark 6 army. The center thruster is actually a selling point. I have one stl thats just one giant rocket booster and I love that too. The design also explains the high set straps on the torso. Do I want this for other marks? No. But I love this for mark 6.

1 hour ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

That was a given but I'm still disappointed there was just 1 heresy reveal. The drip feeding of reveals is awful imo, I'd prefer it if they did maybe 1-2 reveals a year and show off everything that will be coming and roughly when.

I do think it's funny that for the assault squad combat shield the designer just went: take breacher shield (as on Fafnirs back) -> CAD reduce by 30%; "well jobs a good'un". 

Edited by matcap86

3 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

To be fair…. That’s essentially the difference :laugh:

Sure, but before we had actual different designs. I also wouldn't be thrilled if a bolt pistol design was just a copy paste of a regular boltgun scaled down 40%

My only critic would be that the new Assault Marines are so... grounded? Nothing screams "assault" or "jump" troops... I know that the tactical rock has become a meme in itself, but I would have preferred them to leap from a slab or anything... 

Still, I will be adding a unit of them to my SoH collection :) 

I can see where they were coming from in terms of aesthetics for these jump packs, they look like the mk iv evolving into the modern mk 7 pack we've had for years but with elements of the chaos raptors thrown in. The the way the vents are perched on top makes them look more like how the jump packs worked in the Titus space marine game fitting over the top of the regular pack.

Bit disappointed it's a ten man unit but that's a minor quibble and nice to see some different torso and leg positions finally. I'm hoping that there are enough bolt pistols for each to have in either hand. In an ideal world I'd like to see the melee weapons sold separately on an additional sprue but I think that might be unlikely. 

I am hoping that they took the opportunity to include new belt pouches and other items given that the torsos will have a new sprue. The Heresy range is nice but we're sorely lacking in a lot of infantry options that could give us more of a variety of looks.

Finally having access to lots of bolt pistols and chainswords in plastic is an improvement.

1 minute ago, Doghouse said:

I can see where they were coming from in terms of aesthetics for these jump packs, they look like the mk iv evolving into the modern mk 7 pack we've had for years but with elements of the chaos raptors thrown in. The the way the vents are perched on top makes them look more like how the jump packs worked in the Titus space marine game fitting over the top of the regular pack.

Bit disappointed it's a ten man unit but that's a minor quibble and nice to see some different torso and leg positions finally. I'm hoping that there are enough bolt pistols for each to have in either hand. In an ideal world I'd like to see the melee weapons sold separately on an additional sprue but I think that might be unlikely. 

I am hoping that they took the opportunity to include new belt pouches and other items given that the torsos will have a new sprue. The Heresy range is nice but we're sorely lacking in a lot of infantry options that could give us more of a variety of looks.

Finally having access to lots of bolt pistols and chainswords in plastic is an improvement.

The roadmap has a melee weapons upgrade sprue in one of the slots.