A Time of Reaving Interest

Black Cohort

Good Day everyone,

I am gauging interest in a 30k based "Deathwatch" campaign.  The basic idea is that the players are a small group of survivors of Isstvan that have a Sword Class Frigate, a beaten up Thunderhawk, and at least currently, very limited supplies of any kind.  With little idea what has just happened and who to trust, you would need to survive, scavenge wargear and figure out who to trust.

Now one thing I should note is that in the state any fleeing survivors of Isstvan find themselves in we would be tracking in detail exactly what weapons, ammo and other supplies you have available to you, down to the individual bolt shell you fire, at least until you secured enough that it would no longer become relevant.  This means that you might have some really cool wargear, but no or highly limited ammo for it.  There also, at least initially would be really no other forces at your disposal, the Sword has some naval armsmen, but less than you would like as a Legion vessel that should have an Astartes contingent aboard.

Of course the obvious legions of choice would be Salamanders, Raven Guard and Iron Hands, but I would be willing to consider a good case and backstory for a member of another legion.

Expect a desperate fight for survival where not all may survive to see the end.  I don't generally run campaigns with too many rails, generally once you resolve whatever the current crisis situation is, you will have several options presented as to where you can go next.

36 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Sounds awesome, I must admit I'm not as up to date on all the extra HH fluff as some (keeping up with all the BL novels, FW books, etc) but I'd be well up for this!

I don't think any detailed knowledge of the HH is required, as long as you know the wavetops and probably a bit about how legions are structured vs chapters everything should be fine.

34 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Where do I report for Duty?

Edit: Would there be scope for non-Marines, say an inducted Mechanicum or a seconded Imperial Army/Solar Auxillia style character.  

I would prefer to keep it to marines.  Tech marines, especially of the Iron hands could be very steeped in Mechanicum lore though if you wanted to push that angle.

20 minutes ago, Black Cohort said:

I would prefer to keep it to marines.  Tech marines, especially of the Iron hands could be very steeped in Mechanicum lore though if you wanted to push that angle.

Was just curious. Was thinking less Tech-Priest and tech skill set and more an inducted Legio Cybernetic entity like a Castellax (though for game balance obviously something smaller).

In the FW black books (can’t remember which one) it mentioned that some Legio Cybernetica constructs that where seconded to the legions where made honorary members of the Legion by the space Marines after particularly note worthy battles, and that these honorary ‘marine’ robots begun to develop personality quirks and behaviours traits associated with the legion they served with.

So I was thinking of one of these that had started to develop sentience, but now trust into the heresy. It would have been programmed loyal to the Legio Cybernetica (and by extension Mars) and would have learned loyalty to its company and or legion (and by extension the imperium).

How would this semi sentient not quite AI not quite Machine Sprit deal with all of the events and so on.

Any wya, if marine it is to be then marine I will conjour. 

7 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Was just curious. Was thinking less Tech-Priest and tech skill set and more an inducted Legio Cybernetic entity like a Castellax (though for game balance obviously something smaller).

In the FW black books (can’t remember which one) it mentioned that some Legio Cybernetica constructs that where seconded to the legions where made honorary members of the Legion by the space Marines after particularly note worthy battles, and that these honorary ‘marine’ robots begun to develop personality quirks and behaviours traits associated with the legion they served with.

So I was thinking of one of these that had started to develop sentience, but now trust into the heresy. It would have been programmed loyal to the Legio Cybernetica (and by extension Mars) and would have learned loyalty to its company and or legion (and by extension the imperium).

How would this semi sentient not quite AI not quite Machine Sprit deal with all of the events and so on.

Any wya, if marine it is to be then marine I will conjour. 

Ok, I didn't get that was the direction you were thinking.  I am certainly familiar with the concept, my 30k Salamanders have their own pet squad of Castellax.  I hope they (along with other mechanicum toys) show up in Legions Imperialis soon.

I have two concerns, first mechanical, second story.  I don't want to have to build a new class and I am not sure if the dreadnought class could be modified enough to feel right.  From a story side, while a cool character idea I worry that it could become the focal point of the campaign.  That would be a cool campaign, but not really what I am wanting to go for, if that makes sense.

23 minutes ago, A.T. said:

Sounds interesting. Tech, tactical, or devastator (the classes i've not played recently)

Any would be useful in the circumstances you will find yourselves in, though I would like at least one tactical marine in the group.

So, mechanically what are we looking at for creating Characters? An archetype* chosen from the main DW rulebook, and one of the three Chapters from First Founding? (I must pull that book out again and have a peruse...)

Minimal equipment is cool, but do you have any thoughts yet about XP, starting Rank for Characters, Deeds, etc?

*any that you don't want included? Technically, none of those Legions had Librarians at that point... :tongue:

Edited by Lysimachus

19 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

So, mechanically what are we looking at for creating Characters? An archetype* chosen from the main DW rulebook, and one of the three Chapters from First Founding? (I must pull that book out again and have a peruse...)

Minimal equipment is cool, but do you have any thoughts yet about XP, starting Rank for Characters, Deeds, etc?

*any that you don't want included? Technically, none of those Legions had Librarians at that point... :tongue:

I am thinking you would be Rank 3.  Technically none of the legions currently have librarians, but most did before Nikea.  Nothing says you couldn't have a character that was part of a disbanded librarius or was a psyker that never really explored their powers; but desperate times call for desperate measures...  Now that probably means that a lot of your XP spent at character creation would be on non-psyker stuff but the potential for growth would be there.

I wouldn't mind doing an Apothecary...?

I did create one as my second sheet for Mazer's Space Hulk game, but never used him as I went with Philemon (the burn-y religious Dev Sgt) instead.

I think if I've got the option, I'd pick IH or Sallies rather than RG, but I don't have a great preference between those two Legions.

1 hour ago, Black Cohort said:

Ok, I didn't get that was the direction you were thinking. 

In fairness I had not fully expressed the idea in my first post, was just thinking about possibilities. Another I fleetingly pondered was a Imperial Army / Solar Aux veteran who had served alongside the Lunar Wolves in his youth (and was deeply impressed by the nobility and such of the Astartes) but then served on other fronts and only just got reassigned (along with his unit/company) to the now Sons of Horus and is shocked by what has become of them, begins to doubt in secret (as his comrades are takin in by the charisma of Horus) and then at Istvan breaks away to find loyal forces and so on. Anyway that is a tangent.  Moving on...

I am certainly familiar with the concept, my 30k Salamanders have their own pet squad of Castellax.  I hope they (along with other mechanicum toys) show up in Legions Imperialis soon.

Looking good there :)

I likewise hope the Mechanicum comes to IL in full force. So many sculpts I like and IL would give me a way to actually field armies of them.  

I have two concerns, first mechanical, second story.  I don't want to have to build a new class and I am not sure if the dreadnought class could be modified enough to feel right.  From a story side, while a cool character idea I worry that it could become the focal point of the campaign.  That would be a cool campaign, but not really what I am wanting to go for, if that makes sense.

Oh totally agreed on the mechanical side of things. A dreadnought build, while possibly fairly close to a Castellax, would skew the party balance and cause all sorts of problems. A custom construct is a lot of work and as you say not necessary or wanted.

My suggestion would be to run the character from a mechanical point as a normal Tactical Marine but with talent and skill spent to support the theme as much as possible without breaking any normal rules.

From a story side, that is your call, and I understand the concern. All I can say is that I would try and play such a character as best I can and do my best to not become an issue to the story.

To make things more to scale with a ‘count as marine profile’ I was think of something akin to a smaller Automat, drawing inspiration from say the Luthor pattern Excavation Automata, or 'Sanctioner' Pattern servo-automata or even something like UR-025 from the Blackstone Fortress game, as well as the various mechanicum creations (such as Thallax, or maybe a smaller cousin of the Vorax, or a legged Scyllax or servo-automata ... ) that are also approximately in the right size category of bigger than mortal human, but not too much bigger.

If you are willing to entertain the idea a little more then I’d be happy to go and do a draft character sheet using the DW books to see how it might work.

Or you can tell me that this is no good and it is marine centric game and cyber-cortex creations and such don't belong (which is only fair given your opening post). 

Hmm. I think a Raven Guard Assault Marine may be fun....

Edit- I've got no experience with DW, but plenty with the FFG system, so I'll read up on it. I'm up to play whatever- Raven Guard or Salamanders preferred to the Iron Hands, no specialty really preferred. I can fill in anywhere :D

Edited by Lord_Ikka

As per @Black Cohort's behest and discussion with him, I hereby report that:

Raven Guard Apothecary Ravyx 'The Jackdaw' Koloios will be ready for duty at the appointed time.

Technically, I'm not back up to speed on the board yet, but I will be at time of commencement.

Not to step on anyone's toes, I can shift from Apothecary if anyone really has the bent for it. I'd likely be looking at Assault, as haven't played that before, I suppose.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Just browsing and saw the hook...

Bitten.

I've got the Avatar and I can sing the Theme Tune.

I'm in of course!

Iron Tenth of any persuasion.

Welcome back @Mazer Rackham, looks like someone's putting the band back together.

Well not going Devastator, won't be doing Techmarine or we'll lose @Xin Ceithan.

Tactical, Assault or shady Librarian.

Edited by Machine God
Don't like double posting.

7 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Edit- I've got no experience with DW, but plenty with the FFG system, so I'll read up on it. I'm up to play whatever- Raven Guard or Salamanders preferred to the Iron Hands, no specialty really preferred. I can fill in anywhere :D

Welcome to the top of the food chain! You'll have so many skills and abilities coming out of your ears it's mental. As an Acolyte you're afraid of a stiff breeze.

As an Astartes, you'll be headbutting traitors with a tank shell strapped to your forehead.

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

If Mazer already has an Apothecary worked out, I'm happy to go something else. Probably Assault, and after thinking a bit more I'd like to go IH?

Looks at Assault Marines.

Sees an Iron Hand get his arm blown off.

Sighs. Puts down the scalpel and picks up the welding torch.

1 hour ago, Trokair said:

After a year and a bit of looking mainly at the Dark Heresy books I had forgotten just how much there is to Deathwatch.  Like remembering how squad mode works...

Time to do a reading dive.

I know what you mean. I took a stroll through a few threads to get back into the saddle. The character build was falling off a horse, though.

1 hour ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Oh, this looks interesting! 
No idea what to play yet and much like @Mazer Rackham I am not quite up to speed yet but I’d love to join this group of doomed slaves to the False Emperor :devil:

Not even built a character yet, and I've got my eye on you... :tongue:

1 hour ago, Machine God said:

Welcome back @Mazer Rackham, looks like someone's putting the band back together.

Cheers man - let's get the show on the road. :)

Probably jumping ahead a bit (if so, apologies!) but I really enjoy the Character Creation process stuff!

Would I be right in thinking that in this HH-based game we won't have DW Training or access to the DW Advance tables? Or, for that matter, to stuff like Fire Selectors and DW ammo types?

Re XP: So, checking I'm remembering this right… If we are starting the game at Rank 3, that means we will each need to spend a total of 9000xp at Character Creation? That 9k breaks down as:

1. Initial 1000xp selected from:
Our chosen Chapter Advance table (from DW: First Founding, assuming we all go with one of the 3 Shattered Legions)
Rank 1 General Marine table
Rank 1 (our chosen Specialty) table

2. 4000xp also selected from the same tables (bringing us up to Rank 2).

3. 4000xp selected from the above tables, but now including the Rank 2 tables (bringing us up to Rank 3).

That would bring us up to the starting point of 21k xp at the start of Rank 3… right? :huh:

Edited by Lysimachus

I'm interested as well, but it'd be my first time playing DW. (You really can do a lot of stuff in this one compared to DH, huh?)

If that isn't a problem, I'd be looking for a Tactical position. Salamanders are my preference, but I'm a big fan of the Shattered Legions and I'd be happy with any of them.

18 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Probably jumping ahead a bit (if so, apologies!) but I really enjoy the Character Creation process stuff!

Would I be right in thinking that in this HH-based game we won't have DW Training or access to the DW Advance tables? Or, for that matter, to stuff like Fire Selectors and DW ammo types?

@Black Cohort In addition to this - I was looking at the armour/histories tables and wondering what your plans were (Mk II - VI instead of Mk VII and VIII for example)?

1 minute ago, Urauloth said:

I'm interested as well, but it'd be my first time playing DW. (You really can do a lot of stuff in this one compared to DH, huh?)

Allow me to provide a....uh...primer?

Considering a Dark Angel that had found his way to Isstvan either betrayed by Luther or dispatched by the 'unfounded' paranoia of one of the chapters psychic individuals - hence not standing in the kill zone when things kicked off, perhaps even explaining the errant space vessel or unaccounted thunderhawk.

Tactical (the non-command type) marine with signature heavy bolter, firing single shots as per hellfire rounds (albeit some other kind of ammo in this case).

Consecrators style. Might have to switch up the chapter advances table though :p

Edited by A.T.

2 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Welcome to the top of the food chain! You'll have so many skills and abilities coming out of your ears it's mental. As an Acolyte you're afraid of a stiff breeze.

As an Astartes, you'll be headbutting traitors with a tank shell strapped to your forehead.

Though we are 'Not' Actual Deathwatch, I think that @Black Cohort is just using the setting and skill set. Its not Swordhand and its not even Plunder!

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

@Black Cohort In addition to this - I was looking at the armour/histories tables and wondering what your plans were (Mk II - VI instead of Mk VII and VIII for example)?

@Mazer Rackham - I was going to bring up this point. Mk II - V, VI for Raven Guard. Probably II - IV and V happening over the course of the game due to armour damage. I don't think that Armour History would be there though 'ish.

1 hour ago, A.T. said:

Considering a Dark Angel that had found his way to Isstvan either betrayed by Luther or dispatched by the 'unfounded' paranoia of one of the chapters psychic individuals - hence not standing in the kill zone when things kicked off, perhaps even explaining the errant space vessel or unaccounted thunderhawk.

Tactical (the non-command type) marine with signature heavy bolter, firing single shots as per hellfire rounds (albeit some other kind of ammo in this case).

Consecrators style. Might have to switch up the chapter advances table though :p

So its Shattered Legions from Istvaan V. Survivors of Iron Hands, Salamanders and Raven Guard that just had their :cuss: handed to them by Traitors and then they find out that this other survivor in Black Armour is First Legion that everyone hates?

Could be tricky.

We also have @Trokair's character Borg walking around that at time gets chatted to by religious Iron Hands or even eyed by the same flexing servo-arms. "Say that's a pretty Arm you got there Boy!"

10 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Though we are 'Not' Actual Deathwatch, I think that @Black Cohort is just using the setting and skill set. Its not Swordhand and its not even Plunder!

No...it's vengeance...

@Mazer Rackham - I was going to bring up this point. Mk II - V, VI for Raven Guard. Probably II - IV and V happening over the course of the game due to armour damage. I don't think that Armour History would be there though 'ish.

Personally speaking, I'd prefer armour to be agreed, but that's me talking out of my gorget, because I want Jackdaw in Mk VI so you can't hit the bastard. With Hard Target and an AG of 70, he's at -40 to Hit BS on the run of 42m, and has a 3/4 chance of dodging it.

However...I have been ruminating, and I don't think this would take much work if you wanted to keep the random aspect - a supplanting of the armour rolls in RoB would work reasonably well - so Mk II gets three armour histories, Mk III gets two, with Mk's IV, V and VI getting one. Mk V is still viable, as it represents the desperate and random nature of the immediate situation and reflects how un/lucky the PC is.

D10: Result

1: Mk II (Crusade)

2: Mk III (Iron)

3-5: Mk IV (Maximus - most in use as of the Heresy)

6-9: Mk V (Heresy! Reflecting the dire straits - not the Mark Knopfler kind...)

10: Mk VI (Corvus)

Just some options to explore in the future, perhaps.

So its Shattered Legions from Istvaan V. Survivors of Iron Hands, Salamanders and Raven Guard that just had their :cuss: handed to them by Traitors and then they find out that this other survivor in Black Armour is First Legion that everyone hates?

It's Alpharius.

It's always Alpharius.

We also have @Trokair's character Borg walking around that at time gets chatted to by religious Iron Hands or even eyed by the same flexing servo-arms. "Say that's a pretty Arm you got there Boy!"

Jackdaw won't mind - the robot's radiator grill can make toast.