A Time of Reaving Interest

Black Cohort

Rain on Black Sand

In one of the countless little crevasses and minor valleys that flowed from the hinterland into the greater Urgall Depression a spirit broken loyalist stumbled from cover to cover. His armour a scarred shadow of what had been, some scant hours ago, a proud warrior marching to bring the traitor and his conspirators to justice.

A slight bend in the path opened up an unseen hollow, an exposed rock face on the left descending into what could be the opening of a cave. A perfect spot for an ambush the Loyalist realises belatedly, as he saw the fallen scattered about, black sand already beginning to cover the remains as eddies of wind curled through the hinterlands. He should have notice, but he was to weary.

On the other side, back against stone, sat another marine. Armour scoured, where legion icons should stand they had been defaced. Only a singular Oath of Moment script adored the warrior.

As the Loyalist had rounded the corner the other had reflectively raised the autocannon he cradled, but stopped and let it rest once more within a split second, before it was even approaching being aimed.  Seeing the remains of the Loyalist heraldry the other called out.

“You have nothing to fear from me this day of doom.”

Rain,” and here he pattered the autocannon, “will only fall on these false kin, oath beakers.”

Having had a moment to take the scene in fully now the Loaylist saw that all the fallen had been of the fourth, and that they were less fallen, more so utterly shredded by heavy calibre fire at ludicrously close range.

large.IH_Legion_Breacher.png.44693a72683

As the purple and gold escape pod hurtled planetwards, its lone occupant fumed bitterly.

The traitor fleet had been on the Thunderhead almost as soon as the Strike Cruiser had translated in on the edge of the Istvaan system. Trying to prevent the Iron Hands from reinforcing their Primarch and his Morlock veterans on the surface of the fifth planet.

Elvrit spat. They'd almost made it into orbit, too. The Thunderhead had been an ugly old bruiser, but it was tough. Then the Scion of Chemos had stepped in. The gleaming battleship had moved in and pummelled the ancient cruiser with a seemingly endless barrage of fire from its short range batteries. Flash bastards had got it wrong though. Overconfident. Too close, too eager to watch their former brothers go down. Even as the Thunderhead had finally slowed, listed and died, its assault craft were already on their way.

With no false pride, Elvrit knew that the Iron Tenth produced the finest Breachers in the fledgling Imperium. Brutal, precise, unrelenting, and as tough as old boots. Now, they were furiously angry too, looking for vengeance. More than a hundred Astartes of Clan Borrgar had boarded the Emperor's Children battleship.

They had torn its damn guts out.

Targeting vital locations - bridge, engineerium, life support - the Iron Hands had rampaged across the larger vessel, murdering any who attempted to stand against them. The Children aboard had fought back, of course, but Elvrit was certain his Clan brethren had more than held their own. A cruiser destroyed in return for taking down a battleship? A hundred Astartes against what must have been at least twice that number on the other side? No-one beat the Tenth in a battle of attrition.

Elvrit had killed four himself. Crushed beneath his ironclad, implacable bulk and ended with vicious strikes from his powered short sword, Hvass. Good fights, though he had never expected that he would need to execute fellow Astartes in that way. Still... what was, was. That was another strength of his Legion. The ability to accept, to adapt, and to maintain their unstoppable advance.

As the Scion burned from within, Elvrit had gradually lost contact with his brethren, his squadmates falling one by one around him. When the battleship finally began to break apart, he was alone. Time to get off. He had found the row of escape pods, most of them already fired. Now he waited, cramped into the tiny pod as it fell, with his massive shield jammed across his body, impatient to be on the surface. From the broken fractals of comm-traffic he had heard, things were not going well for the Legions loyal to the Emperor.

Elvrit hoped he might be able to find his brethren and their Primarch. Unlikely. However, even if he could not find and stand beside Manus before he died, he knew one thing. He was going to take as many of these bloody traitors down with him as he could.

Edited by Lysimachus

Codicier Ashmon - Clan Vurgaan 

He! HE!

He had died!

Ferrus Manus had died! 

The Imperfect Fool slain by the other effete cur, Fulgrim! 

Slain with a weapon forged by his Hands! 

If he could die? 

Everyone else must die. Be reforged into more perfect beings. 

Start with the Traitors and then everyone else. On the Anvil of War, smote by the Hammer of Hate! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codicier Tactical Ashmon - Clan Vurgaan

Great Crusade Librarian

WS: 45 +5 = 50

BS: 44 +5 +5 = 54

STR: 48 +5 = 53   (108)

TGH: 42 +5 = 47   (94)

AGL: 49 +5 = 54

INT: 37  Re-roll: 45

PER: 44

WIL: 41 +5 +5 = 51

FEL: 41

Iron Hands: +5 BS and +5 TGH

Demeanors: Taciturn / Iron and Hate

Wounds (D5: 10 = 5) 23 Wounds

Fate Points: (D10: 10) 4 Fate Points (Price of Victory)

Master-Crafted Bionic Heart (Secondary), Master-Crafted Bionic Respiratory System

Exceptional Bionic Left Hand (Chapter Trapping)

Psychic Powers: Avenger, Iron Arm, Smite

The Flesh is Weak 1 (Iron Hands Chapter Advances) - 500 XP

Signature Wargear (Rank 1 General Space Marine Advances) - 500 XP

Rank 1

The Flesh is Weak 2 (Iron Hands Chapter Advances) - 500 XP

Rite of Sanctioning [26 - Haunting Breeze] (Rank 1 Great Crusade Librarian Advances) - 400 XP

Invocation (Rank 1 Great Crusade Librarian Advances) - 400 XP

Psychic Power - Might of the Ancients (Rank 1 Great Crusade Librarian Advances) - 1000 XP

Psychic Power - Betrayal of Flesh (Iron Hands Psychic Powers) - 500 XP

Strength - Simple (Great Crusade Librarian Characteristic Advances) - 500 XP

The Flesh is Weak 3 (Iron Hands Chapter Advances) - 500 XP

Willpower - Simple (Great Crusade Librarian Characteristic Advances) - 200 XP

Willpower - Intermediate (Great Crusade Librarian Characteristic Advances) - 500 XP

Agility - Simple (Great Crusade Librarian Characteristic Advances) - 750 XP

BS - Simple (Great Crusade Librarian Characteristic Advances) - 750 XP

WS - Simple (Great Crusade Librarian Characteristic Advances) - 200 XP

Rank 2

Psy Rating 4 (Rank 2 Great Crusade Librarian Advances) - 500 XP

Signature Wargear (Master) [Exceptional Force Weapon] (Rank 2 General Space Marine Advances) - 1000 XP

Command (Rank 2 General Space Marine Advances) - 300 XP

Total XP: 9000.

Armour Roll: 10 = Mk IV "Maximus"

1x Frag Grenade, 1x Krak Grenade,

0 Repair Cement,

Lost Bolt Pistol and Combat Knife.

Bolter and Two Magazines: 50 Bolt Rounds

The Legion abided by the Edict of Nikaea, his Clan had retrained him as a Tactical Sergeant provided that he stayed true to the rules. He let them repaint his Blue Tilt Plate to Black, his sword if not fed power was in all intents and purposes just a Power Sword.

After the Event and withdrawing, existence within the Urgall Depression changed the parameters. Why should he be fettered when no one else was? The mud of the bloodied sands caked his armour and at the same time abraded the black for blue, only for it to be recovered.

Edited by Machine God
Changed Psychic Power and +5 Str

Updated List

Lysimachus IH Assault Marine Breacher, Done

Trokair former Iron Warrior Devastator, Done

A.T.  Dark Angels tactical, in progress

Lord_Ikka  Raven Guard Assault, Done

Mazer Rackham Raven Guard Apothecary, Done

Xin Ceithan in progress

Machine God Iron Hand Librarian, in progress

Urauloth Salamanders Tactical, In progress

I don't think any major questions have come up that need to be addressed?  Would people still working on their characters be able to have everything finished up by the end of tomorrow (Monday).  Assuming so the plan would be to pick the 6 characters and get an initial post up Tuesday morning to get things rolling.

1 hour ago, Black Cohort said:

Would people still working on their characters be able to have everything finished up by the end of tomorrow (Monday). 

:jawdrop:
Tomorrow?!
Hilarious!

Have you met me?!  

Seriously, I‘m not even through deciding if it‘s going to be a Techmarine or Librarian…aaaand reading through DW‘s psychic powers :facepalm:

*Eyes Xin*

*Cocks shotgun*

That Chargen ain't gonna do itself, and there's 24 hours in a day, so....

:ph34r:

Seriously dude - shout up if you want a hand - especially with names. How about Cortisol McWrenchworthy?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

1 hour ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Seriously, I‘m not even through deciding if it‘s going to be a Techmarine or Librarian…aaaand reading through DW‘s psychic powers :facepalm:

Go Tech, you know you want to....

Or if in doubt just roll some dice and select XP spend at random

Edit: If you need help I am sure assitance can be rendered by the more experianced amongst us, or atleast those with a better understanding of how FFG writes, that save some page flcikcing back and forth several thousand times 

Edited by Trokair

1 hour ago, Black Cohort said:

In my experience, momentum is the life and death of play by post.  If you loose momentum than it will probably die.

You‘re right of course.

I should be able to get a working IH Techmarine up - we already have a Librarian anyway and the theme is doomed Shattered Legions after all.  

Also I rolled up MK III armor … IH look badass in MK III 
Can‘t leave the audience hanging after all… :biggrin:

I‘ll roll some stats and start crunching XP…

If  has some suggestions for requisition/ wargear let me know…

The Servo Arm is already quite nice, maybe something to complement it…

like a Castellan … 

33 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Edit: If you need help I am sure assitance can be rendered by the more experianced amongst us, or atleast those with a better understanding of how FFG writes, that save some page flcikcing back and forth several thousand times 

Thankfully I have a PDF and the hardback splatbook (which I adore) so it saves a LOT of time.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

18 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

If @Xin Ceithan doesn't hurry I might try to steal his spot (or warm a spot on the bench) with a Raven Guard techmarine. ;)

Given my less than stellar participation of late , If you want a shot at this, by all means go ahead with it. Last thing I want is for one of you guys to miss the opportunity for some fun because of me. 

Post edited:

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/381759-a-time-of-reaving-interest/?do=findComment&comment=6005618

Question: Would four other Space Marines like +40 Str and +40 Toughness in Combat?

Edited by Machine God
Deus Ex Ferrum

13 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Given my less than stellar participation of late , If you want a shot at this, by all means go ahead with it. Last thing I want is for one of you guys to miss the opportunity for some fun because of me. 

It's up to you, buddy! I have a character prepared, but I'm late to the game. I was 100% joking about jumping you in the queue.

2 minutes ago, Necronaut said:

It's up to you, buddy! I have a character prepared, but I'm late to the game. I was 100% joking about jumping you in the queue.

Well,  since  I am technically still behind on YOUR game before starting a new one … :whistling:

If it‘s okay with everyone, let‘s say I‘ll sleep on it and see how far I can push reaction by tomorrow… if push comes to shove, I‘ll stand back and let  your RG techie try to save this lot from themselves ? 

23 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Would four other Space Marines like +40 Str and +40 Toughness in Combat?

Blimey, I hadn't looked properly at Deus Ex Ferrum. Elvrit would only get +30 as he has 4 levels of cybernetics, but that would still push him up to Str105 (SB18) and T91 (TB18)!

17 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Blimey, I hadn't looked properly at Deus Ex Ferrum. Elvrit would only get +30 as he has 4 levels of cybernetics, but that would still push him up to Str105 (SB18) and T91 (TB18)!

IIRC the extra strength gets added after the unnatural double - in the same way as bionic limbs, power armour, etc.

It's still a huge boost though and one of the few powers in the game which you can use and still make charges / full attacks with as you can push it to use as a free action.

41 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

If it‘s okay with everyone, let‘s say I‘ll sleep on it and see how far I can push reaction by tomorrow… if push comes to shove, I‘ll stand back and let  your RG techie try to save this lot from themselves ? 

large.XinBedroom.png.7460fabc066f631e64891ab09c6f8882.png

I must protest, Sir! This looks nothing like my bedchambers! 

(Actually I honestly have no idea what I am looking at :blink: )

But if you really want to know what my mind is cooking up…

If this the Great Crusade, would we be able to get…

VOLKITES ?! 

8 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

I must protest, Sir! This looks nothing like my bedchambers! 
(Actually I honestly have no idea what I am looking at :blink: )

It's a scene from Back to the Future, where the suited chap, (Marty), is playing Van Halen at max volume through his walkman (in his left hand), with the headset on a sleeping victim's (George's) head, using it as a torture device to get George (a sci-fi nerd) to do his bidding.

George later becomes a science fiction writer from the...uh...'inspiration'.

Here's the scene - this bit is in the 1950's, for some context:

Spoiler

The film is worth the watch for the absurdity. :)

8 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

VOLKITES ?! 

This guy gets it.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

4 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

If  has some suggestions for requisition/ wargear let me know…

The Servo Arm is already quite nice, maybe something to complement it…

If combined signature items are allowed then a combi multikey/artificier-omnissian axe (first founding) or multikey/omnitool both add up to 40 requisition - techmarines don't get combi-tools or multikeys in their default loadout and the reroll from the master signature talent will save you a lot of fate points.

@Mazer RackhamNow that you mention it, I recognize the scene  - last night I couldn‘t put it together for the life of me. I suspected it was one of those meme things from that Internet I keep hearing about :biggrin: 

@A.T. The Multi-key \ Omnitool combination is a good idea and few things offer so many intriguing ways at opening a closed door as a multi key in a two handed axe:thanks:

Not sure if we fulfill the riteria though…. And did I mention the VOLKITES?! 

Anyway, I crunched through the books and here is my pitch for 

Sharrak Skorn

Iron Hands Praevian 

Spoiler

Clan Atraxii ? Ungarvarr ?  - need to read up which were at Istvaan

Techmarine SetUp

WS 42

BS(+5 IH) 42

S 43 (+)

T (+5 IH)44

Ag 38 (42 with Armor )

Int 50

Per 41(+)

Wp 40

Fel 45

Fate 3

Wounds 22

Deed: Price of Victory (included above)

Equipment 

MK III Iron Pattern – a Fury like Lightning, + 5 Ag, + 1 Ini

ServoArm 

Bolter

Frag Grenade

Krak Grenade

Repair Cement

Bionics

Mechanicus Implants

Left Hand (Exceptional, Chapter Trappings)

Cybernetic Senses (Vision-Exceptional)

Bionic Arm (right- Exceptional) 

Mind-Impulse-Unit Common )

Starting Skills and Talents 

Speak Language ( Techna-Lingua)

Tech Use

Electro-GraftUse

Mechadendrite Use (ServoArm)

Initial 1000 XP 

The Flesh is Weak ( IH ) 500

Signature Wargear 500

4000XP ( at Rank I )

The Flesh is Weak II ( IH ) 500

Autosanguine 500

Forbidden Lore (Mechanicus) 400

Security 400

Int Advance +5 simple) 200

Tech Use +10 ( IH ) 500

Good Reputation (Mechanicus) ( IH ) 500

The Flesh is Weak III ( IH ) 500

Tech Use +20 ( IH ) 500

4000 Xp ( including/ at Rank II) 

Simple Advance PER +5 200

Simple Advance STR 200

Limonen Charge 500

Survival 300

Trade (Armor, Weapon) 1200

Awareness +10 300

Scrutiny 400

Demolitions 400

Forbidden Lore (Mechanicus) +10 (400)

100 Xp unspent

1 hour ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Not sure if we fulfill the criteria though…. And did I mention the VOLKITES?! 

Invader Zim: Doom

Xin Ceithan: CHOOM.

Just a quick query on the criteria - renown? @Black Cohort what level will we be starting at, if any?