Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

I meant all the 2024 ones, incl End and the Death Volume III, Da Big Dakka and -weirdly - The Art of the Horus Heresy.

I did miss that it includes January 2024, what I saw more prominently was the award title "Black Library Book of the Year 2023", so when tEatDv.III ends up winning, makes it a pretty silly window/title combination, imho.

People, people plz! Storm of Iron is a contender for book of the year 2024, it wasn't even released this decade neverminded a month here or there. 

Damn this year pickings sure are slim. Sea of souls would be my main pick but it has no chance at winning, so Genefather goes the vote. 

4 hours ago, OpossumStrong said:

The is a vote for book of the year, I really think they should make different polls for AoS and WH40k/HH.

...or actually a list with freakin' covers. And listing the authors would be nice, too, huh?

Also, big joke that Storm of Iron is eligible. It only had a reprint, :cuss:.

1 hour ago, Roomsky said:

The two people who read King of the Spoil know it's the real winner.

I still haven't gotten around to reading that one, but based on your and others' voices, I was tempted to vote for it out of principle (also because it's the only Crime novel on the list), but I went with Fall of Cadia instead. It's the best Siege novel we've had in the past year.

Edited by DarkChaplain

Oh wow, I would love to make an informed decision about this year's voting, but I wouldn't know because GW/BL REFUSES to make more than like 500 hardback copies for the entire globe and then release the paperback 9 MONTHS after the initial sale. I've just received Son of the Forest and the LE/hardback went up for sale 10 months ago. I like audiobooks but they're expensive and my one free monthly credit can't remotely keep up with the pace (I have other things besides BL to read as well, shocking, I know). Thankfully, I have read a couple good works from BL this year. Sea of Souls is my pick so far and I can probably be happy with that at the end of the day, especially as some other fraters here have also cemented it as their pick, but it does feel bad when it can't be compared to other books like Genefather and Fall of Cadia that I was (and still am) really looking forward to.

In conclusion, BL should switch to bi-annual voting in favor of the current system. :)

They should definitely separate W40K and AoS lists if they are going to persist with this sort of thing.  I would even have a separate list for Crime and Horror but we just don’t get enough releases to justify that (mores the pity).  A 3-2-1 voting system would also be better imho (more unobtainable books to hype up over on WarComm).

For all that, there were several good releases on their (wonky) list.  I ended up casting my vote for The Fall of Cadia as it was the one I enjoyed the most.  Honourable mentions go to The Lion, Cypher and King of the Spoil.  While I didn’t enjoy it as much as I hoped, it was also good to see something new from Graham McNeill.

How come they don’t have a list for best short story?  There have been a few absolute crackers in the last year.

Edited by Felix Antipodes

image.thumb.png.434d1f9d5a01ea579d6fd44d258aa89b.png

For those, who haven't voted yet (or don't intend to).

I don't even know why they include reprints or stuff like First Founding. Cain anthology??? STORM OF IRON?! Did they just list all releases?
Not only should they seperate AoS and 40k/ HH but also keep it focused on the works of single authors and their new accomplishments, i.e. books.

My vote will be easy. Just read a single novel of this list (don't counting Storm of Iron for reasons): The Lion. Excellent one, if you'd ask me.

Some strong competition this year but i really had to give it to Fall of Cadia for making me actually feel things, Rath you cad. :D 

3 hours ago, Jareddm said:

I think we can all agree that the real winner is Black Library: The Art of the Horus Heresy :laugh:

Though I voted for Fall of Cadia as well.

I did actually vote for the artbook, because I do like it but also because I want to encourage them to keep making books like that.

2 hours ago, Taliesin said:

I did actually vote for the artbook, because I do like it but also because I want to encourage them to keep making books like that.

This is like the 7th or 8th Heresy art book? Safe to say i suspect it wont be the last lol

The Warhammer Community preview makes no mention of Ahriman: Undying even though Fnac has it dated for the 23rd of March just like Callis and Toll: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a19421272/John-French-Ahriman-Undying#omnsearchpos=8

Presumably it’s yet another delay due to the special edition not being available. Though we can’t ignore the possibility that WarCom simply forgot about it. I wish they would address why so many special edition books are delayed when all other products seem fine, but expecting BL to communicate effectively is like expecting the sky to rain hotdogs - foolhardy. 

Edited by cheywood

Sidenote/Observation:

Black Library Celebration hasn't been over for long aaaand... instead of delving into vivid discussions about newly announced books new or small this sub-forum was dead quiet (apart from 8 posts in this main thread) over the whole weekend.

Wonder what might have caused that drop in enthusiasm for BL books... surely not the draught of releases and the shameful way they're dealing with the Special Edition Sales.

14 hours ago, cheywood said:

The Warhammer Community preview makes no mention of Ahriman: Undying even though Fnac has it dated for the 23rd of March just like Callis and Toll: https://www.fnac.com/livre-numerique/a19421272/John-French-Ahriman-Undying#omnsearchpos=8

Presumably it’s yet another delay due to the special edition not being available. Though we can’t ignore the possibility that WarCom simply forgot about it. I wish they would address why so many special edition books are delayed when all other products seem fine, but expecting BL to communicate effectively is like expecting the sky to rain hotdogs - foolhardy. 

"Why advertise when they gonna sell out day anyway." - GW probably.

Edited by System Sound

4 hours ago, RikuEru said:

Sidenote/Observation:

Black Library Celebration hasn't been over for long aaaand... instead of delving into vivid discussions about newly announced books new or small this sub-forum was dead quiet (apart from 8 posts in this main thread) over the whole weekend.

Wonder what might have caused that drop in enthusiasm for BL books... surely not the draught of releases and the shameful way they're dealing with the Special Edition Sales.

Speaking from personal experience.  After the really negative experience trying to get TEATD volume 3 LE, I can't shake the bitter taste from my mouth.  I haven't read any BL books since (which is very unusual for me - I've had at least one book on the go, consistently, for nearly a decade).

I haven't bought any more books including LE's, and I've spent hardly any time in the various Warhammer communities that I frequent.

I've hardly even thought about Warhammer to be honest, and when I do think about it it's not good thoughts.  

Edited by Ubiquitous1984

17 hours ago, cheywood said:

The irony is that it's already been on Audible for like a week, and is floating online, especially since it got taken down. It'd be so unbelievably silly if they were to delay it again because of a limited edition (which most assuredly was already the reason for delays beyond the original Audible date)

As for general lack of enthusiasm, on my part, I've had more than enough other stuff to read lately. Heck, turns out I can shut my brain off and binge a bunch of light novels instead of getting tired by another space marine action scene. In hindsight, I had much more fun with Full Metal Panic! Vol.1&2 than I did with my recent Black Library reads, including the End and the Death.

Edited by DarkChaplain

7 hours ago, RikuEru said:

Most of the popular series or over (HH, Vaults of Terra, etc) or ending, and the ones that are not (Black Legion, Custodes trilogy, spears of the Emperor) have no news.  The 'popular' authors are also largely slumbering.   Random books and Dawn of Yawns book X do not excitement make.  Plus since this a no AOS forum that also limits things futher.

As others have said, there is a whole world of books to go thru, BL isnt making a effort so why should we?

Personally TeatD I-II-III really put the final nail in 30k fiction for me. And the current 40k 'plot' also leaves me cold. So unless its by someone i truest or a story that can lure me in (or both Hello Sea of Souls) they are not putting out anything i want to read never mind talk about.