Upcoming BL Stuff 2024

aa.logan

The Heresy art book is a collection of every HH cover made. 320 pages, over 200 artworks, from Horus Rising to TEATD vol. 3. But its limited to 6.5k copies.... I'm kind of itching to get this, even though I'm not the biggest Roberts fan.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/05/the-art-of-the-horus-heresy-the-best-covers-collected/

1 hour ago, System Sound said:

The Heresy art book is a collection of every HH cover made. 320 pages, over 200 artworks, from Horus Rising to TEATD vol. 3. But its limited to 6.5k copies.... I'm kind of itching to get this, even though I'm not the biggest Roberts fan.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/05/the-art-of-the-horus-heresy-the-best-covers-collected/

I'm a fan of a lot of them up until the Siege (with the latter novels really not being my taste, but that's ok), and then it's been hit or miss from me there. I do really like the refresh of the False Gods one. I might grab it depending on how much it costs and how bad the queuing system goes

3 hours ago, System Sound said:

I think I’ll just line up all the novels

5 hours ago, Noserenda said:

So im guessing the inevitable Scouring series will get announced?

Would they not wait for Dawn of FIre to die its sad, lonely death alone in the corner before trying to push the next 'the next HH'? 

I would expect the HH Horurs Primarch book tho.

I would think the last Primarch novel will be revealed if it’s ready to go (which it should - they’ve had years to get it sorted).  

While I fully expect a Scouring series eventually, I don’t think we will see anything released until mid-year at the earliest.  Far enough away from the end (and death) of the HH that it doesn’t seem too crass, but close enough that they don’t have too many HH fans drift away.  Since they hold release dates like state secrets, I wouldn’t expect an announcement before then.

Personally, I hope the silence on the ADB front means something from him (BL 3 or SotE 2 or damn it anything!) but I don’t fancy our chances.

Edited by Felix Antipodes
Bloody auto-correct!

When they do announce The Scouring series (IMO that won’t be just yet, let dust settle on HH and as said above, finish off DoF) the WarCom article will cover the following:

- We have learned valuable lessons from HH, TBA, DoF, and HH:SoT regarding how to deliver multi author series.

- We have selected the best authors (except that one, oh and that other one) to write the books.

- We have a lead author with IP oversight who will develop a roadmap/plan for how the series will roll out and be executed.

- We will have one editor full time on this to ensure consistency and no contradictions or plotholes.

- The team will be locked in a room to collaborate with vending machines and a water tap.

And then after the second book they will forget all of that!

2 hours ago, DukeLeto69 said:

When they do announce The Scouring series (IMO that won’t be just yet, let dust settle on HH and as said above, finish off DoF) the WarCom article will cover the following:

- We have learned valuable lessons from HH, TBA, DoF, and HH:SoT regarding how to deliver multi author series.

- We have selected the best authors (except that one, oh and that other one) to write the books.

- We have a lead author with IP oversight who will develop a roadmap/plan for how the series will roll out and be executed.

- We will have one editor full time on this to ensure consistency and no contradictions or plotholes.

- The team will be locked in a room to collaborate with vending machines and a water tap.

And then after the second book they will forget all of that!

Now where have I seen that before?

5 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

I'm more amused by their "exclusive excerpt" from Riders of the Dead, a novel from... 2003. Which they are reprinting for the xth time for this year's BL Celebration.

That ‘exclusive excerpt’ can also be found on the BL website as part of the Empire at War extract. Not the first time WarCom’s posted an existing excerpt as though it’s new and exciting. They did the same thing with Brutal Kunnin’ a few weeks back. Shows just how little effort is put into things.

1 hour ago, DarkChaplain said:

I'm more amused by their "exclusive excerpt" from Riders of the Dead, a novel from... 2003. Which they are reprinting for the xth time for this year's BL Celebration.

I was disappointed with myself when I bothered to check the website today, expecting that we may have some exciting BL celebration article.  Maybe news on a new release by one of the big beasts?!

Well I guess we technically got that.  For a book released two decades ago.  Sigh.  GW just don't get BL, do they?

Saw the post on WHC, thought "no, they wouldn't have reused the same interviews from 3 months ago, it can't be. Even though it's for the same books, and the clip at the bottom says black library celebration onli... oh no"

And then they did.

That's hilarious. I don't know which is worse, just flat out not doing a Celebration, or doing it like this where it's so lazy it's almost insulting

6 minutes ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Saw the post on WHC, thought "no, they wouldn't have reused the same interviews from 3 months ago, it can't be. Even though it's for the same books, and the clip at the bottom says black library celebration onli... oh no"

And then they did.

That's hilarious. I don't know which is worse, just flat out not doing a Celebration, or doing it like this where it's so lazy it's almost insulting

How can GW be so commercially successful, but so objectively bad at publishing books?  It boggles my tiny brain.  And the thing is they aren’t improving, they’re instead getting much worse at it, year after year.  

Edited by Ubiquitous1984

6 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

How can GW be so commercially successful, but so objectively bad at publishing books?  It boggles my tiny brain.  And the thing is they aren’t improving, they’re instead getting much worse at it, year after year.  

Speaking of GW with all its wealth and rapid expansionism into licensing out:

I'll also ask how GW, as the market leader in this hobby, STILL hasn't even managed to offer the instruction sheets for their kits digitally anywhere. That's not even the "niche" thing that BL is to them, but their core business. You either get the kit with that instruction sheet or pray somebody scanned/photographed it and put it online for the community.

Like, I'm debating getting into Star Wars: Shatterpoint because I want to paint up those Grievouses and Obi-wans, and the first thing I did was check the instruction manuals for all available kits on the manufacturer's website - they offer that for *all* their games. GW has it for none of theirs.

This mini-rant is inspired by the Stormbringer-magazine that just launched in Germany last month, and I had to look up instructions online again because the magazine doesn't acknowledge build options. If it wasn't for some fine guys on reddit putting the manual up on imgur, I'd be hella confused right now.

Like, how can this company be so complacent across the board?

38 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

Like, how can this company be so complacent across the board?

Lack of competition, too much of a monopoly position, is the answer that seems most likely to me.

I see that mostly in the way they treat their customers, who they genuinely seem to hold in very little regard in general.

56 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

Lack of competition, too much of a monopoly position, is the answer that seems most likely to me.

I see that mostly in the way they treat their customers, who they genuinely seem to hold in very little regard in general.

Yeah there doesn’t feel like there is much respect for the fans (read: customers).  I’m newish to the hobby, I only got into reading the books around 2015.  So I don’t know if it’s always been like this.  But it always feels to me like GW are embarrassed by its customers and wants to pretend we don’t exist/they are doing US a favour when they release news (GW store staff however have always been great in my experience, so I should probably limit my ire towards GW corporate rather than the rank and file employees).

Like, why are comments always disabled on GW YouTube videos?  I guess because they’re scared of being called out by their fans in such a public setting.

Edited by Ubiquitous1984