Mk III Truescale Iron Hand

Lysimachus

Hello Fraters!

So, this is a bit of a one off, a build of my Player Character for @Black Cohort's ‘A Time of Reaving’ PBP Deathwatch rpg game.

The game is set in the Horus Heresy in the aftermath of the Istvaan Massacre. My character is an Iron Hands Breacher (built from the Assault Marine archetype, for anyone who is interested!) called Elvrit Sharr.

Elvrit wears MkIII armour and is supposed to be big and brutal, so I wanted to have a go at true-scaling him.

Like many others I decided to use Cataphractii TDA legs as a starting point, because they have the segmented rear sections, but I also wanted to try to get closer to the classic frontal armour too.

Here's how it’s gone:

large.20231213_120441.jpg.b39ca1269b48ff

large.20231213_120601.jpg.7d8b62b79fd8e7

It was actually simpler than I thought!

I started by filing down all of the detail on the front of the Cataphractii legs. Then I used a spare pair of knee pads cut out from the Intercessor greaves bit (though a cheaper method would be a blob of GS!) and stuck them on.

The body is just a MkIII body front chopped apart and combined with an Intercessor rear torso for width. (The gap between the armour plates is a bit non-standard for MkIII, but I think the exposed tubes look like the Medusan Immortals torso, so it works for me!)

Then I used 0.5mm plastic rod to create the trims and define the shape of the armour panels.

Tip: cut the right length of rod, and use a paint brush to create a u-shaped bend in the middle. Then plastic glue them on at the center above/below the knee pad, then once it has set, bend the rod the rest of the way around the sides of the leg and glue it in place. It takes a bit of holding while it sets, but otherwise no problem!

Finally, I took the same 0.5mm rod and cut off very thin circular cross sections, these were glued in place to make the rivets.

And voila, plastic truescale MkIII with all the trims!

(Shoulder pad details are just plasticard cut to shape, and the shield is a 3d print bought on Ebay)

C+C very welcome as always, or if you have questions, feel free!

Cheers for looking!

Lysimachus

Edited by Lysimachus

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the nice comments, gents! A quick update, as I've had some time over the hols for painting:

large.20231228_163901.jpg.84db018d8b3771

large.20231228_163805.jpg.36a064784747c6

The tank wreckage on the base of course had to be IIIrd Legion… :biggrin: