FW Warlord Titan Build

Hi! New to this section of the site. I'm not really an Adeptus Mechanicus player. My hobby experience is mostly in Astartes (BT specifically), but some Admech models/Imperial Knights really stood out for me, and I ended up collecting them. I currently have a playable force of House Hawkshroud Knights that I'm slowly working on, but...

I searched and scrolled through the Admech threads, and... is nobody building the FW Warlord Titan? I know (from personal experience) that it's a very large and expensive model, but I have to say that I'm a little surprised. I got one recently after years of dreaming of this model. Yeah, I could have picked up the smaller plastic version, but the massive model on the tabletop was the idea that got stuck in my mind. I kind of wanted to show off the model as I build it, but it didn't feel right to put it in my existing BT thread, or the progress I've made on my Knightly House.

So, first off, am I even in the right place for this? And if so, would anyone be interested in watching as I either complete this behemoth model or just bungle the whole thing?

Okay, at least a couple of people are interested...

So, here is the progress I have so far...

WarlordTitanLayout.thumb.jpg.af1db2149a8a3b975ab26c221f5489da.jpg

This is the quite MASSIVE layout. Going through and inventorying all the parts for this build took up the entirety of my coffee table, and I even had to stack the boxes it came in on one side to accommodate the rest of the layout. When I ordered it, I was unable to order any of the arms or a head for it. I did order the main body and the shoulder-mounted Laser Blasters from the FW online store. The weapon arms, a Sunfury Plasma Ahnilator and a Macro Gatling Blaster, I was able to find at the Warhammer World store in Dallas TX (Great place if anyone ever gets a chance to go), and I found an ebay seller who had a Mars Beta pattern head that I thought looked awesome, despite the inflated price. Luckily, it looks like I have all the parts for all the separate kits I had to get from multiple sources just to even begin on this project!

IMG_0682.thumb.JPG.7f845d8231de5c44e5530c996c66c231.JPG

The legs assembled, I decided I wanted to model it stepping on something. Currently, its foot is resting on an extra Baneblade piece from a kit that got sent to me with 2 of this sprue instead of the parts for the other variants, so we had this extra one laying around.

IMG_0683.thumb.JPG.920c7070e48454a223a4c9501d0e9267.JPGimage.thumb.jpeg.ab11d1817f510285e5e2df43000cffa2.jpeg

Above, you can start to see the sheer scale of this thing, with the hip section itself standing at well over 12' at the join to the torso, as well as the beginning process of magnetizing the waist for ease of transport and for a greater range of posing options. Also, the layout and beginning of the assembly of the torso itself.

IMG_0688.thumb.JPG.aa1bf78fe38e5a1c4dfcdbd0f9afddc7.JPG

Torso and Head complete (Note pot of hot water to ensure parts are straight and fit correctly, Thunderhawk in background is my sons project).

IMG_0686.thumb.JPG.24ffea4bfe80a132224df0008a2dffeb.JPG

And here is this massive body assembled!

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.adce19eb359b0f22198dbef5ff40ddcc.JPG

And a quick view of the inside of the head compartment, which I will be detailing and magnetizing to display.

So, this is what I have photographed so far... This guy stands at roughly the same height as your average toddler! Let me know what you think, and what your thoughts are for what I should have him stepping on in the end (Loyalist Titan).

It certainly looks like you have been busy. Great job. I found my Cerastus Knight legs enough of a handful, a full-blown Titan is a lot bulkier, and still looks like it retains the same range of movement. Good Luck!

I've watched the few Warlord Titan build videos on YouTube, and really liked the overall posing opportunities this kit has. It seemed like it was designed for the modeler to either make it static and standing flat-footed, or pose it either striding or stepping on something. So long as the portion of the raised foot is well supported, it works.

As for the arms, it looks like I'm going to need to assemble the weapon arms first before I can finalize the overall arm posing. I want to make sure that the arms are out of the way of the hips and legs enough for the body to swivel a bit. I also plan on magnetizing them so I can swap out the arms as I acquire the other options in the future. My only concern is the weight of these things. It's more than a pound of resin hanging off the arm on both sides, and even with the option of just apply more magnets, I can see this being a problem of the arms falling off as it gets moved. Looking at another video of a Reiver Titan build, I had the idea of drilling out both the barrels and some strategic points of the bodies of the weapons to reduce some of the weight before hanging them from the arms. The unfortunate thing, though, is that I have to wait a few days to be able to do that until it warms up a tiny bit before I can take that step as winter has hit full force (I have to do this step outside, or the household Magos will turn me into a servitor!).

I do have the arm mounts stuck to the torso right now though (pics to follow soon) and I have the shoulder weapon mounts prepped, but not installed yet. Due to the detail of those pieces (which I'm sure nobody will see, but I'll know it's there!), I want to get them painted before I attach them and pin them down permanently. I have left the top of the torso removable right now to accommodate. 

So, that's where I'm at. More to follow in a few days!

1 hour ago, Nagashsnee said:

Hey, great stuff! Looking good, always blown away at how big this is. Looking forward to seeing how it goes to the end.

Can i ask out of curiosity what number is your certificate? I am curious how many they have managed to sell to date. 

Certificate #1121

On 12/28/2023 at 2:32 PM, SWORD BROTHER RYAN said:

Certificate #1121

:jawdrop: I don't need this emote often but now's the time. I wonder what percentage of those are boxed, partially assembled and completed? I bet al lot of Titans fail to reach completion. Yours is coming along great though so hopefully things will work out. :)

Soooo quick question... how tall is this thing (minus the weapons). From the pict of the legs it has my gears turning for a conversion that might work IF the model is the right size.

I've seen people use LEGO pieces, threaded screws, and even clothing snaps to keep larger pieces secure but removable. I wonder if something like that would work here?

I saw a video a while ago where they used thin strips of steel in the elbow receiver coupled with magnets in the joint and on top  to maintain position. I tested it out recently and I think that will work better. Some steel sheet at the hardware store wasn't too expensive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay Bouargh (and anyone else following along), nut progress has been rather slow on this project. I'll show some pics soon, but I've been experimenting with some gap filling methods on the weapons arms... and lets just say I should probably just stick with filling the gaps with greenstuff. I also had a tough time straightening things like barrels and drilling out the main bodies to reduce weight. Luckily, I did have access to a Dremel, which made this a lot easier.

I hope to have the weapon arms at least assembled this weekend this weekend.

I often come back to Green stuff for such tasks; even if I may hqve some attempts with alternative products. Fine Milliput works fine and is easy to work too. But green stuff remains superior IMO. I've tried other types of cements 5more liquids) too; but they often have too much shrinkage which means you have to refill once or twice. And then sand out the excess.

Dremel tools are really recomended for all the tasks related to such projects: pinning, cutting, grinding... It is always a good investment. Beyond Hobby stuff btw.

Edited by Bouargh

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is moving slowly. The most I have been able to accomplish is getting the barrels pinned and ready set. The 6 barrels of the macro gatling blaster were an absolute pain, but I finally have both ready to epoxy when I get some nice enough weather to let them sit outside for a while. 

I still need to set the upper arm pieces in place, and boil the elbow joint to fit the cannon arms with a small piece of sheet metal so that the joint is not too tight, then imbed the magnets I'm going to use. I also have decided that on top of epoxy for the upper arms, I'm going to be further securing the upper arms using a screw drilled down from the top (the better to hide them once the carapace gun mounts are placed).

I did manage to prime the legs and put a couple of coats of leadbelcher on. Here soon, I'll also be going through the next steps of washing them with a mix of nuln oil and agrax.

More coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...