[RT] The Silent Architect (OOC/Discussion)

Ok, I think I've spent what I should to get Reynard RT ready, and added it to his sheet.

Mazer, do you still have access to that sheet via the DH folder, I'm not sure whether I need to move or copy it over to the RT folder?

One final question: Reynard has 6 Wounds from Rank based Sound Constitution that I guess are extras, should I lose them or will you allow the RT-created PC's the same bonus?

Phew... I think that is everything that was modded for the DH game... :sweat:

Edited by Lysimachus

4 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Ok, I think I've spent what I should to get Reynard RT ready, and added it to his sheet.

Mazer, do you still have access to that sheet via the DH folder, I'm not sure whether I need to move or copy it over to the RT folder?

I've copied it to the RT folder for you. A few of the lads should have permission to view the folder, but here's the link, anyway.

As usual, if you can't get in, hit me up with a pm.

One final question: Reynard has 6 Wounds from Rank based Sound Constitution that I guess are extras, should I lose them or will you allow the RT-created PC's the same bonus?

No, I'll allow those for everyone across the board as a GM House Rule.

Phew... I think that is everything that was modded for the DH game... :sweat:

:thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Quick query, does anyone have the DH1e 'Lathe Worlds' supplement and would be willing to place it in the DH folder for private and secure use?

I think everything I've got, I snagged from you... :facepalm::laugh:

23 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Ooh back to the Void for Kerr Restal...

Awesome! :biggrin:

Side point: looking through the RT archetypes, it seems like a lot of the Seneschal's abilities mirror those of the DH Scum on the Fixer path? While I might stick to the Scum Advance tables, would it make sense if Reynard plays that kind of Spymaster role for whoever ends up being the Rogue Trader?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Hardcover only, I’m afraid :ermm:

No sweat, we're sorted. :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Side point: looking through the RT archetypes, it seems like a lot of the Seneschal's abilities mirror those of the DH Scum on the Fixer path? While I might stick to the Scum Advance tables, would it make sense if Reynard plays that kind of Spymaster role for whoever ends up being the Rogue Trader?

There won't be room to do that initially, since the RT will have his own bod for that. You could of course grow into that role as and when.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

14 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

There won't be room to do that initially, since the RT will have his own bod for that. You could of course grow into that role as and when.

That's cool, no problem! :thumbsup:

One more thing that popped into my head as I was reading through the RT character build stuff, there seem to be more possibilities for characters created with a few points of Insanity and Corruption - which makes sense as they are starting at a higher level than starting DH characters.

Reynard seems to have made it through Damocles with only 1 Insanity Point and no Corruption accrued, but I now wonder if he probably should have picked up a few from the final battle against the Golem, it felt like the kind of thing that would continue to play on someone's mind? Of course, it was the end of that game, so at the time it didn't really matter, but maybe it does now?

Let me know if I should roll for any to add to his tally?

I'm sure Grace helped him with a few backrubs and games of scrabble. :blush:

Remember in RT, they're kind of all doo-lally as it is, as most folks in the Imperial Navy are. I might pencil in an accrual of IP's along with the campaign rules, so stay tuned. I'll have to think about it. Maybe a trait or something which reflects the Survivors Guilt.

5 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

No worries! Yes, I saw each archetype is a bit of a force multiplier in their 'sphere'.

I may have to dig out my old astropath notes.

And my old ship-building notes - I find it best that the DM sets a limited range for the starting profit factor/ship point split to avoid paupers in grand cruisers or princes in pilgrim vessels. Most players get a bit of a surprise when it comes time to pay out on their first upkeep tests :p

So as mentioned earlier I was going to do a random gen (and had in fact started when the Xenos option was put on the table). So I thought I might as well finish and see what that gives me. I present the will of the dice:

Spoiler

For the below mess I followed the character generation steps in RT, and whenever there was a choice of options I numbered them and then rolled a dice (d6/d3 or d10/d5 as made most sense, rerolling unused numbers). I have only noted below were choices were made by the dice, fixed skills, talents and such not listed but will be in char sheet once done)

Characteristics (2d10 + 25)

WS: 4+3 = 32

BS: 10+4 = 39

S: 5+7 = 37
T: 1+3 = 29 – Reroll 4+7 = 36 -3 (savant) = 33

Ag: 10+8 = 43

Int: 4+4 = 33 + 3 (savant) = 36
Per: 4+10 = 39
WP: 4+6 = 35 +3 (Imperial World) -3 (Seeker of Truth) = 35

Fel:  7+2 = 34

Wound: TB3x2 +1d5: (7/2=3.5 round up)4 = 10 +1 (Endurance) = 11

Fate: d10: 10 = 4 Fate Points

Origin Path

Top (even) / Bottom (odd) start: d10: 8

First Row numbered left to right, then for each later row 1 for down left 2 for straight below and 3 for downright (if at edge of table wrap round. I know this is not what the book says, but feels more random with dice rolls that way

Home World: 5= Imperial World

Birthright: 2 = Savant  - Logic (even) or Peer (Academic) (Odd): 9, Stats mod: +3 int (even) or +3 Fel (odd): 2

Lure of the Void: 3 = Chosen by Destiny  - 1,2,3 respectively: 1 Seeker of Truth. Enemy Academic (even) or Ecclesiarchy (odd): 6 Lol (peer and enemy academics)

Trials and Travils: 3 = The Hand of War – Weapon training talent (odd) or Leap Up (even): 5 (I will randomise the weapon training later as there are a bunch of choices to number)  Hatred (from list, left to right: 6 – Imperial Navy

Motivation: 2 = Endurance + 1 Wound

Career:  3 = Void Master – Mono sword (odd) or Power sword (even): 9, Hand-cannon (odd) or bolt pistol (even): 4, Navy uniform (odd) or beggar’s cloak (even): 3 Lol again!

Name:

Male (odds) or Female (even): 8 Female

Roll d100: 66 – Roll type (left to right 1 to 5): 5 Informal : Sola

Roll d100: 08 – Roll type (left to right 1 to 5): 4 Archaic: Anastasia

I give you Anastasia Sola or Sola Anastasia.

Demeanour

Top to bottom: 5 = Melancholic  

Will work out XP spend later- this will probably not be random

Now I need to decide if I will go with this or roll up a Kroot Mercenary. Or rather I think I should leave this up to fate. Mazer, please do the honours (however you may choose to do so) and let me know if I am finalising the above (and working out a back-story that works with this) or rolling up a Kroot.

41 minutes ago, A.T. said:

And my old ship-building notes - I find it best that the DM sets a limited range for the starting profit factor/ship point split to avoid paupers in grand cruisers or princes in pilgrim vessels. Most players get a bit of a surprise when it comes time to pay out on their first upkeep tests :p

Good call. I'm looking at ships now, will certainly bear this in mind. With an NPC RT, the options become a lot easier to manipulate - but the PC's will still be choosing the hull etc.

8 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Now I need to decide if I will go with this or roll up a Kroot Mercenary. Or rather I think I should leave this up to fate. Mazer, please do the honours (however you may choose to do so) and let me know if I am finalising the above (and working out a back-story that works with this) or rolling up a Kroot.

I'm flattered, but I'd rather you do it, Tro. I like your rando, but I'd much rather you choose your character. I don't want you to be forced into playing something you feel isn't 'yours' if you know what I mean?

On Chargen, keep mooting/grinding stuff in here, but as my usual MO is to open a Character Thread, please wait for that to open before posting anything about your victim. Explorer. Campaign rules will be in there as usual.

For any Characters coming from Damocles, please consider details of your intervening experience, your thoughts about the lengths gone to. You should assume Cell Virtue has been 'de-mobilised' that is, your implanted seals have been made dormant remotely, and you are considered sleeper, or reserve agents given over to the care of a Rogue Trader to keep you out of the way.

Your mind should wander to what possible worse alternatives may have been considered, and what terrible risks breaking your vow of silence may mean...

7 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I'm flattered, but I'd rather you do it, Tro. I like your rando, but I'd much rather you choose your character. I don't want you to be forced into playing something you feel isn't 'yours' if you know what I mean?

I am fine with either, so if fate won’t decide, let chance speak. Odd is Random, even is Kroot.

Biggest dice I can find is a d20, let’s see. 17

I guess if anybody else was think Xenos there is now an opening.

46 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Good call. I'm looking at ships now, will certainly bear this in mind. With an NPC RT, the options become a lot easier to manipulate - but the PC's will still be choosing the hull etc.

Light cruisers tend to be in the middle ground and have space for interesting auxiliary components, they aren't 'proper' warships though and tend to get beaten up in combat situations.

Around 60-70 SP once equipped leaving a profit factor of 30-40. As I recall an Endeavour with it's torpedo-tubes retrofitted for bombardment cannons had that little extra spice while still being risky to take into any kind of combat.

That helps a lot as a reference, cheers.

I've also had a nice example of a ship build sent across by @Lysimachus which has helped me to understand the procedure and layout. I've put this into the RT shared folder for perusal. Once we've hashed out the ship here, it can go into the Character thread as well.

With this picking up a little pace I will generate an NPC RT. If someone wants to actually take up this mantle, they have until 00:00 GMT 09/01/2024.

I will open the Char thread shortly. If you are importing your dude from DH, then please do just cut and paste with the updated text and fluff as they are technically new to this campaign, and having them all in one place is helpful for my sanity. :angel:

Hopefully not a raspberry ripple!

When I read that post though, I heard a few lyrics:

Spoiler

You get a shiver in the dark, it's raining in the park, but meantime

South of the river, you stop and you hold everything...

11 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

*Senses a disturbance in the warp*

No, @Xin Ceithan, no Orks! :tongue:

Wait! What?! Am I astrally projecting again?! 

And  I already have a mini picked out for Kaptin Flashsnik Coldtooth, the Black Klaw of the Damocles Gulf!! :pirate:

A missed opportunity, then. 

On a more serious note, the only Xenos I’d actually contemplate would be a sort of Votann Mercenary … or  a  Drukhari  rogue type.

Both are probably more effort than required for a one shot adventure ( though despite your best efforts to kill everyone, there seems to be a tendency to return to these wretches :wink:)

From the Core Classes, I am currently looking between, well, the Explorator ( and might rework my Magos Biologis from ages past ) or maybe a Navigator ( which isn’t something you get into a group often) .

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I've also had a nice example of a ship build sent across by @Lysimachus which has helped me to understand the procedure and layout. I've put this into the RT shared folder for perusal.

Maybe I should just explain that I came up with the above ship a while ago, so it's in no way intended that I'm trying to suggest that is what we should take, it's just there for funsies and maybe as ideas of options?

I tried to keep the Ship Points balanced with the starting Profit Factor, so it's a straight 50/50 split, meaning I opted for a Frigate rather than anything bigger, but it's reasonably well armed, armoured and equipped for its size, plus has a few interesting extra bits for fun!

The name is just a bit of wordplay fun based on the 'Wolf in Sheep's Clothing' History and the idea of the PCs being 'on the lam' :laugh: Possibly not as clever as I thought it was at the time, but I'm still kinda pleased with it... :tongue:

Anyway, again, I just sent it to Mazer for ideas rather than a set-in-stone suggestion of what we should go with.

Edit: @Mazer Rackham do you want us to start posting character bios straight away, or should we hold off for a bit? 

Edited by Lysimachus

16 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

The name is just a bit of wordplay fun based on the 'Wolf in Sheep's Clothing' History and the idea of the PCs being 'on the lam' :laugh: Possibly not as clever as I thought it was at the time, but I'm still kinda pleased with it... :tongue:

So you should be. ;)

Anyway, again, I just sent it to Mazer for ideas rather than a set-in-stone suggestion of what we should go with.

I'm just glad you included Voidsman quarters, otherwise you'd be stopping the fun bus to take a leak behind an asteroid.

Edit: @Mazer Rackham do you want us to start posting character bios straight away, or should we hold off for a bit? 

Yeah, you can start posting in there now.

I think I have transposed Anastasia Sola to her character sheet (including a few more random things I had missed such as Special Abilities on page 72) and now just have the starting 500 XP spend and the Profit factor and Select equipment steps.

For the initial free item on character gen, what is the initial profit factor/up to what rarity can we go with it?

On a fluff side there are two main points that the dice have brought forth.

1. Savant and Peer Academics and Enemy Academics  - which to me so far suggest that while Ana has risen in the ranks of some form of Scholarly institution she was forced out with prejudice, but that her academic reputation itself is intact.

2. Hatred Imperial Navy, Imperial Navy Uniform and Common Lore Navy and Mastery of Gunnery. From this I am taking that after the events above she ended up in the Navy, and due to war and the resultant trauma has come to hate the Navy, but she is still capable in regards to battle itself and ship to ship combat was not the source of the trauma (because if it was I struggle to see how she could have become a void master with master of gunnery on a RT ship).    Maybe poor command/orders from above over to many years...

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Trokair said:

I think I have transposed Anastasia Sola to her character sheet (including a few more random things I had missed such as Special Abilities on page 72) and now just have the starting 500 XP spend and the Profit factor and Select equipment steps.

I took a peek, looks good work so far!

For the initial free item on character gen, what is the initial profit factor/up to what rarity can we go with it?

The PF is for the party as a whole, but this will be determined once I put the RT together. Don't sweat this for now.

On a fluff side there are two main points that the dice have brought forth.

1. Savant and Peer Academics and Enemy Academics  - which to me so far suggest that while Ana has risen in the ranks of some form of Scholarly institution she was forced out with prejudice, but that her academic reputation itself is intact.

This strikes me as a personality or intimacy clash. Perhaps she refused advances, or made them and in either case she was rebuffed.

Perhaps her face didn't 'fit', or she was a potential candidate and was overlooked due to a family connection, either in her past or in the eye of the establishment. Maybe she did a 'Kobayashi Maru' but the Navy frowned on it, instead of rewarding the initiative like they did with Kirk.

2. Hatred Imperial Navy, Imperial Navy Uniform and Common Lore Navy and Mastery of Gunnery. From this I am taking that after the events above she ended up in the Navy, and due to war and the resultant trauma has come to hate the Navy, but she is still capable in regards to battle itself and ship to ship combat was not the source of the trauma (because if it was I struggle to see how she could have become a void master with master of gunnery on a RT ship).    Maybe poor command/orders from above over to many years...

This follows nicely from the other, IMHO. The Navy drummed her out - why? Did a past sin cause a long shadow? Did some enemy or rival she made have a Captain of a ship who owed them a favour, sink her career? Did nepotism stymie her from a position? Was she simply just too hot a potato to fit into the starched, pressed uniform the Navy expected, and she hates them now for not taking her, but it was her own bull-headedness that prevented it, thus being a flaw for herself, as opposed to being a victim of someone's enmity?

Just a few thoughts.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

I tried to keep the Ship Points balanced with the starting Profit Factor, so it's a straight 50/50 split, meaning I opted for a Frigate rather than anything bigger, but it's reasonably well armed, armoured and equipped for its size, plus has a few interesting extra bits for fun!

Assuming maximum hits - roughly 18 hull damage to a cruiser-sized target, 25-30 against a raider/frigate/light cruiser at close range (and precisely zero damage against big castellan-shielded warships :p )

Fortunately NPC ships are usually firing with their 30-40 crew rating rather than some BS 50+ player character with bonuses from their allies.

Once all our characters are established, I'll sort out the Profit Factor and thereby, the ships. Feel free to collate thoughts, and strats.

3 hours ago, Xin Ceithan said:

Wait! What?! Am I astrally projecting again?! 

....or maybe a Navigator ( which isn’t something you get into a group often) .

Kind of answered yourself there...