[RT] The Silent Architect (OOC/Discussion)

One of the things that I always find both intriguing and daunting about 40K is how epic the stuff is :thumbsup:

Our little blockade runner here would be a ship of the line in Star Wars .

Entirely plausible that the crew refers to their Vaptain as “ the King” in “Sea of Souls”

Just speaking of epicness and scale, let's have a slight re-adjustment of expectations - this is based on one of the beginner adventures, with a few little tweaks to make it interesting.

I plan to focus very heavily on the challenges encountered by a cast of Explorers, and less on large endeavours the size of The Third War of Armageddon, which is well beyond the scope of this game.

If anyone wants to take it beyond, at least all the legwork is done.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

42 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I plan to focus very heavily on the challenges encountered by a cast of Explorers, and less on large endeavours the size of The Third War of Armageddon, which is well beyond the scope of this game.

I wouldn't worry about that - our ship is still a very small fish in a very big pond. We are the Imperial equivalent of a Toyota with a howitzer welded onto the back.

11 hours ago, A.T. said:

The Childe carrys a normal complement of small ships for its size and class (as do all vessels) - 8-12 shuttles, lighters, cargo haulers and the like used for resupply, boarding actions, etc.

Castinius can pilot any flyer the crew needs. I would recommend a gun-cutter and scout flyer at minimum, so we're able to get better readings and send down the crew in a fairly durable craft. 

If we need more than 1 flyer (or a co-pilot for Assists, I guess?) Reynard has Ag50 and Pilot: Civilian Craft, which should cover him for lighters or shuttles. Can't do guncutters, as I guess that would come under Military Craft instead?

3 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

If we need more than 1 flyer (or a co-pilot for Assists, I guess?) Reynard has Ag50 and Pilot: Civilian Craft, which should cover him for lighters or shuttles. Can't do guncutters, as I guess that would come under Military Craft instead?

In Rogue Trader there isn't a difference between Civilian or Military as far as the Pilot Skill goes, there is only Personal, Flyer, and Spacecraft skill groups. 

Oh, interesting, I'd missed that! GM, how does that get resolved as to what Reynard can fly? (I'm happy to say he can't fly Military type craft?)

Presumably Flyers covers shuttles and stuff of that size, and Spacecraft is the BIG stuff? (And Personal is Jump packs?)

14 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Oh, interesting, I'd missed that! GM, how does that get resolved as to what Reynard can fly? (I'm happy to say he can't fly Military type craft?)

That's absolutely fine, good call. :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Presumably Flyers covers shuttles and stuff of that size, and Spacecraft is the BIG stuff? (And Personal is Jump packs?)

That's my reading as well.

25 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

@Lysimachus - You had to go there.

(Mangle a popular quote to fit) 

Restal (to Reynard): "Travelling into and through orbital space to a starship ain't like dusting crops, boy!"

Edited by Machine God
Clean up

Maybe Reynard has to take some specific lessons to use certain military flyer systems- weapons, advanced sensors, etc..., but could still actually pilot the military vehicles. I have a feeling that Imperium systems tend to be very similar due to their STC/rote construction, so most flight controls would be almost exactly the same barring perhaps placement differences. Perhaps a -10/-20 to any specific test involving military craft until he spends enough time training to effectively use said vehicles?

54 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Maybe Reynard has to take some specific lessons to use certain military flyer systems- weapons, advanced sensors, etc..., but could still actually pilot the military vehicles. I have a feeling that Imperium systems tend to be very similar due to their STC/rote construction, so most flight controls would be almost exactly the same barring perhaps placement differences. Perhaps a -10/-20 to any specific test involving military craft until he spends enough time training to effectively use said vehicles?

Yes, this is fine. Pilot Military Craft at -20 until trained. This will be due to all the extra weight from weapons and armour, which could certainly cause a shift in power and throttle, slack on controls, etc.

Fury Interceptors, space shuttles, assault boats and the like are of course right out without proper training (or experience to unlock Pilot Spacecraft).

Edited by Mazer Rackham

3 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Yes, this is fine. Pilot Military Craft at -20 until trained. This will be due to all the extra weight from weapons and armour, which could certainly cause a shift in power and throttle, slack on controls, etc.

Fury Interceptors, space shuttles, assault boats and the like are of course right out without proper training (or experience to unlock Pilot Spacecraft).

Ooh Star Fury Interceptors:drool:

Sorry wrong Universe again....

Edited by Machine God
typo

12 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Castinius can pilot any flyer the crew needs. I would recommend a gun-cutter and scout flyer at minimum, so we're able to get better readings and send down the crew in a fairly durable craft. 

The Star Chylde carries :

• 8-12 mixed orbital/surface craft (no more than 50m in length - shuttles, haulers, gun cutters and the like)
  • 60 Fury Interceptors
  • 20 Starhawk Bombers
  • 8 Shark Assault Boats
  • A number of small short-range void salvage craft

-------

I imagine we'll have one player who normally operates the main gun(s) and one who pilots the ship, with the rest in support roles (augers, repairs, driving on the crew, etc).

But players can also leave the safety of the bridge to directly lead the small ship operations - defensive pickets, bombing runs, boarding actions with the murder servitors, etc. We don't have a particularly elite crew so the 'squadron commander' position is a potent one.

Ok, just doing some clear-up here:

Current roles/positions:

On 1/9/2024 at 2:11 AM, Mazer Rackham said:

So, our crew are nicely firming up. Another summary for ease of reference:

• Astropath - AT
  • Void Mistress (Gunnery) - Tro
  • Arch Militant (and Pilot) - MG
  • Void Master (Helmsman) - Ikka
  • Explorator (Votann) - Xin
  • Property Redistributor, er, Commerce and Acquisitions - Lysi

Available (and might be played by NPC's if no-one takes them):

• Missionary
  • Navigator (currently NPC)
  • Void Master (Augurs)
Edited by Mazer Rackham

@Machine God haha Vesalius is in cold storage at the moment. And I mean hospitaller as in the historical order of knights who protected pilgrims in the Holy Lands circa 1000 or 1100 AD onward. He'll be his old self where we left off with a new focus on being a healer and prosletyser on top of the hardened military veteran. 

Mazer has generously allowed me to use his DH build as a base followed by tacking on the Missionary kit with the remaining xp spend and whatnot, like what I presume you did with Kerr. 

Edited by Necronaut

• 2 weeks later...

I just keep picturing the first time Reynard, after chopping his own hand off to escape being tracked by the Inquisition, sees that both Restal and Petrus are travelling on the same ship... :eek:

Is it weird that I find the whole idea so funny that it makes me want to do it even more...? :laugh: